Reasons to not want Hillary in '24

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 10:34 am
Professor Smartass🌹
@prof_smartass
·
40m
Joe Biden actually said something memorable & true, & some Democrats immediately back down.

The correct response should be, "Damn right, he said that!

I want my Republican colleagues to look black voters in the face in person why they want to make it harder for them to vote."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 01:27 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

There's no pressure for bipartisanship, they merely change places every four to eight years and the outs begin to work their way back in using the same set of voters the ins used to get in.

A simple fix would be to change the system to to allow for a real third or fourth party challenge. Make winners of an election actually take a majority of votes 51% or better, with a run off if no one breaks 50%.

Now parties have a reason to work together and not just accommodate each other.

The other fix is in the hand of SCOTUS: corporations are not individuals with full Constitutional rights, and money is not always free speech, and protected speech is not corporations buying a dictatorship.

The Constitution is about parity and a level playing ground. This is not what we have.

We need to break it and fix it. Truthfully, I think the Sanders candidacy was our last chance. I believe the US is actively collapsing as we speak. We’re entrenched in corruption. I think we’ll have one more big distracting war, and we’ll be overrun by a consortium of countries and bankrolling entities who are
sick of our global behavior.

Guess we’ll see.

I don’t think we’re coming back from where we are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 02:30 pm
It's why I keep goading the politicians to do more. I concur that there is only a very narrow gap for saving the country from total tyranny.
hightor

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 03:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't really fear "total tyranny" as much as a breakdown of the social compact, the federal government simply failing to do anything other than protect corporate power and fund the military while state governments attempt to deal with economic decline, social inequality, climate disasters, and general incivility.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 03:36 pm
@hightor,
I don't fear Washington. I fear all the petty tyrants living around me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 03:59 pm
@hightor,
If that's not tyranny I don't know what is.
hightor wrote:

I don't really fear "total tyranny" as much as a breakdown of the social compact, the federal government simply failing to do anything other than protect corporate power and fund the military while state governments attempt to deal with economic decline, social inequality, climate disasters, and general incivility.
hightor

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 05:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
If that's not tyranny I don't know what is.

Tyranny requires a tyrant – the USAmerican apocalypse I envision is not one of government oppression as much as indifference. I fear a US government which abnegates its responsibilities more than one which attempts to impose a dictatorship. There's no reason to install a despot when the ruling class can pull the strings of a figurehead president and continue to provide bread and circuses for the people. I'm talking about anomie, not a top-down authoritarian state as we see in China. Here's an illustration of what I mean.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 07:11 am
@hightor,
Tyranny can be a conglomeration in these devolving times. All it takes is tyrannical acts on the part of the tyrannical entity.
hightor

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 07:35 am
@edgarblythe,
What kind of "tyrannical acts" did you have in mind? Not doing anything about climate change isn't tyrannical. Not doing anything about a pandemic isn't tyrannical. Not enforcing voting rights, not reforming police departments, not addressing gun violence, not protecting the environment – none of these are tyrannical. None of these require force, none are despotic. I think the preoccupation with tyranny (aided by the misinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment) is a shibboleth, as much of a delusion as "American exceptionalism". Over-emphasis on individual freedom has resulted in a society careening toward dysfunction.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 07:41 am
@hightor,
Forcing this stuff on people is tyrannical, however you spread it. Not understanding tyranny is what got us to this point already.
hightor

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 07:50 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't understand what is "being forced" on people in the examples I gave. Can you explain? How is, for instance, not taxing millionaires "tyrannical"?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 08:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Not giving us a say is backdoor forcing. I refer your explanations to this post.
edgarblythe wrote:

I found an explanation of options some give when explaining why Democrats can't move bills or do executive orders.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6DtzRUF5U[/youtube]
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 08:42 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

What kind of "tyrannical acts" did you have in mind? Not doing anything about climate change isn't tyrannical. Not doing anything about a pandemic isn't tyrannical. Not enforcing voting rights, not reforming police departments, not addressing gun violence, not protecting the environment – none of these are tyrannical. None of these require force, none are despotic. I think the preoccupation with tyranny (aided by the misinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment) is a shibboleth, as much of a delusion as "American exceptionalism". Over-emphasis on individual freedom has resulted in a society careening toward dysfunction.

Just read Maureen Dowd's op ed piece in the NY Times...and it became more apparent than ever that Democrats and liberals are masters at identifying and discussing what Joe Biden is doing wrong (or just not doing)...while Republicans and conservatives are masters at not giving a **** about what Trump and people like him are doing wrong (or just not doing).

One side (the left) of the political continuum prides itself on being "honest" and being willing to find fault with their leaders...while the other (the right) prides itself on being able to totally disregard the faults of theirs. One side (the left) essentially aids their opponents...while the other side (the right) will **** on the agenda of the other (the left) even if it means giving up benefits for the people it represents.

Both sides, at the moment, are unified in creating an environment in which our Republic will be destroyed.

Okay. I'm 85...so **** it. I'll be dead (relatively) soon. Let the future take care of itself.

But to the people of the left who insist on sharing why they oppose certain possible Democratic candidates no matter what...you should all roast in Hell (if there is a Hell) for all eternity. You are as culpable in the disaster that will ensue if Trump or ANY REPUBLICAN candidate wins over whomever the Democrats choose.
Lash

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are culpable for the horseshit that we are enduring right now because of your extreme and vile efforts to shut down dialogue about REALITY.

You believe that making excuses for one sorry group of corrupt politicians is the only way to be a proper citizen in this country. As a result, innocent people die. People’s lives are ruined by the disgusting status quo you rail to uphold. Because it didn’t touch your privileged life, you don’t care about them. You’re just as much if not more of their enemy than Trump.

hightor

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Not giving us a say is backdoor forcing.

But we have a say and nearly half of us say we prefer Republicans.
Quote:
I refer your explanations to this post.

That's a great movie but as far as contributing to the discussion I'm trying to have with you it is neither useful nor funny.
Quote:
I concur that there is only a very narrow gap for saving the country from total tyranny.

So I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. Fine, you've written off the Democratic Party. But it won't be the Green Party or the Peace and Freedom Party which will govern us in the Democrats' absence, it will be some version of the Trumpified Republican Party. I don't see that as leading to "total tyranny" – I see it leading to something even worse, a broken system where the federal government assumes a hands-off position, states do what they want (as we see with gerrymandering and threats to electoral integrity), and individuals – well-armed, of course – are left to fend for themselves as a global climate crisis strains what's left of any sort of social cohesion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:33 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You are culpable for the horseshit that we are enduring right now because of your extreme and vile efforts to shut down dialogue about REALITY.

You believe that making excuses for one sorry group of corrupt politicians is the only way to be a proper citizen in this country. As a result, innocent people die. People’s lives are ruined by the disgusting status quo you rail to uphold. Because it didn’t touch your privileged life, you don’t care about them. You’re just as much if not more of their enemy than Trump.

You and your "Sanders or nobody" are at fault for putting America in the position in which we find ourselves right now.

I do not have a privileged life...never have. I've worked since age 17...never really chasing any dollars. I've lived very modestly all of my life...and still do.

YOU are the enemy more dangerous than Trump...YOU and your bullshit. So shove your phony indignation where the sun does not shine.
Lash

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I do not have a privileged life...never have. I've worked since age 17...never really chasing any dollars. I've lived very modestly all of my life...and still do.

You’re either too old and out of touch or too stiff-necked to understand what privilege means in this country. Yeah, we all work, but some of us are born into impossible situations and have an additional target on our backs due to appearance. Your life—compared to about half the country’s — was privileged whether you like to admit it or not.

The changes that so many civil rights heroes died for ARE STILL PLAGUING people in this country—and that’s ok with you because your life isn’t being plagued by those injustices.

So, let them suffer. You got yours. I see.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:57 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You’re either too old and out of touch or too stiff-necked to understand what privilege means in this country. Yeah, we all work, but some of us are born into impossible situations and have an additional target on our backs due to appearance. Your life—compared to about half the country’s — was privileged whether you like to admit it or not.

The changes that so many civil rights heroes died for ARE STILL PLAGUING people in this country—and that’s ok with you because your life isn’t being plagued by those injustices.

So, let them suffer. You got yours. I see.

YOU and your ilk are a blot on humanity, Lash.

YOU and your ilk HELPED get Trump elected in 2016...and YOU and your ilk are now doing as much as possible to see that Trump or a Trump clone is elected in 2024.

This country needs much fewer of Trump, Trump clones, and Trump supporters. But even more...it needs less of YOU and your ilk.

Trump and his supporters LOVE people like you. They consider you to be Useful Idiots...as much as Putin considers Trump and his supporters to be Useful Idiots.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 10:01 am
@hightor,
When a public figure with good ideas comes along both parties bear down their weight to crush them. We vote for the chosen two evils. The Steve Martin clip is dead on accurate. Not funny at all, except in its presentation.

The narrow gap ought to be obvious to a man as intelligent as you. An inactive Democratic party because there is always an obstacle. Minimum wage? We can't fight for it despite campaign rhetoric to do so. Why? Er. The Parliamentarian, that's why. If the Democrats had a Senate majority of 60 votes, there would be 10 Democrats opposing everything.

Republicans enacting laws to keep people they don't trust from voting while also rigging their own states to overturn results they don't like.

If we could persuade the Democrats to fight for what's right I would join them in voting their way. But after promising police reform they gave police more money and changed nothing, as per people like MLK III and Shean King.

It's now over a year into Biden's term and he has the one bill to show. A bill that can be subverted during the next ten years if another nutcase like Trump gets in.

hightor wrote:

Quote:
Not giving us a say is backdoor forcing.

But we have a say and nearly half of us say we prefer Republicans.
Quote:
I refer your explanations to this post.

That's a great movie but as far as contributing to the discussion I'm trying to have with you it is neither useful nor funny.
Quote:
I concur that there is only a very narrow gap for saving the country from total tyranny.

So I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. Fine, you've written off the Democratic Party. But it won't be the Green Party or the Peace and Freedom Party which will govern us in the Democrats' absence, it will be some version of the Trumpified Republican Party. I don't see that as leading to "total tyranny" – I see it leading to something even worse, a broken system where the federal government assumes a hands-off position, states do what they want (as we see with gerrymandering and threats to electoral integrity), and individuals – well-armed, of course – are left to fend for themselves as a global climate crisis strains what's left of any sort of social cohesion.
Lash

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 10:27 am
Biden could use his bully pulpit to champion the things he promised, to rail against Sinema and Manchin, rather than embracing them.
He knows what he’s doing, and so do his former supporters.

Republicans openly oppose people-friendly policies; Democrats use subterfuge.