Does anyone here know of any unvaccinated person who has been denied medical care?

Mame

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 11:36 am
I was just listening to a report on GlobalNews about this and it's the first I've heard of it. Canadian doctors are not allowed to refuse medical care to anyone, whatever their nationality and I wonder if this report is true.

https://globalnews.ca/video/8352832/covid-19-can-doctors-deny-medical-care-to-unvaxxed-patients-complaints-suggest-this-is-already-happening/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,704 • Replies: 57

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 12:25 pm
@Mame,
I can't imagine that a patient’s vaccination status in and of itself is a reason to turn that patient away.
hightor

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 12:37 pm
@Mame,
I suppose, while a clear violation of the Hippocratic Oath, it's possible – but I wouldn't be surprised if it were simply a horror story concocted by anti-vaxxers. Another thing to bear in mind is that, in the USA anyway, hospitals which are filled to capacity with covid-19 patients sometimes postpone scheduled operations and procedures for non-covid patients.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 12:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Just adding that even 'normal' people here have to help in emergencies - perhaps that's why I can't imagine that medical professionals could deny medical care.
Section 323c, German Criminal Code wrote:
Whosoever does not render assistance during accidents or a common danger or emergency although it is necessary and can be expected of him under the circumstances, particularly if it is possible without substantial danger to himself and without violation of other important duties shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 12:47 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
hospitals which are filled to capacity with covid-19 patients sometimes postpone scheduled operations and procedures for non-covid patients.
I think it's happens everywhere.
Mame

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 02:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, it's certainly happening here.

It's alarming to see the surges in Germany, Denmark, etc. I read that Saxony is a hotbed of COVID cases right now - I believe it's the province (if that's what it's called) with the lowest rate of vaccinations in all of Germany. We Western provinces are experiencing a deluge of the sub-Delta variants. People are being fined for fake vaccination cards. Starting tomorrow you have to show your Health Card Vaccination Pass on your cell phone because that can't be faked.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 04:44 pm
What a truly barbaric idea!

We don't refuse diabetes care to people who are overweight, or drug addiction treatment to people who use drugs.

It is a basic principle of any civilized society, you don't refuse medical care simply because you don't approve of the sick person.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 06:34 pm
@maxdancona,

which is precisely why you see criminals getting treated in emergency rooms, accompanied by police, and sometimes even handcuffed...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:20 am
No, but because of unvaxxed patients in VA hospitals, my cataract surgery has been put off for almost two years, now.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:23 am
@maxdancona,
[Search domain cardozolawreview.com] www.cardozolawreview.com › wp-content › uploads › 2018 › 08 › MANTEL.39.1.pdf
Prohibiting physicians from refusing to care for noncompliant patients would guard against this inequitable outcome. Part IV considers justifications for affording physicians the discretion to fire or otherwise refuse to treat noncompliant patients: (1) physicians are justified in terminating the physician-patient relationship

Don't be fooled by the title.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

No, but because of unvaxxed patients in VA hospitals, my cataract surgery has been put off for almost two years, now.

Really Bobsal,

Two years? That's funny. The Covid vaccine has only been widely available for ten months.
Mame

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

There's a guy here who was scheduled to have a brain tumour removed interviewed on the news. His surgery was postponed indefinitely. This could be life-threatening.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:51 am
I am calling bullshit (I just took some time to look at the facts)... There is only so much you can blame on unvaccinated people.

Cataract surgery is outpatient eye surgery. They aren't going to put your eyes on a ventilator (no matter bad your cataracts are) and Cataract surgery is generally done in a clinic, it's a procedure that lasts a few hours and then you go home with eyedrops and funny sunglasses.

Yes, Covid is a global pandemic. Particularly of the need for social distancing rules... everything has been slowed down from dental work, to getting a massage.

But let's not be silly. All of us miss getting a lap dance, but blaming unvaccinated people for your not getting one is an exaggeration.

This is a political exaggeration.
roger

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 11:19 am
@maxdancona,
My last cataract surgery was through the VA on some program called TriWest. It was done in an outpatient surgery clinic and totally paid by VA. This was prepandemic, but I live too far from a VA hospital. I imagine VA continues to have such outside sources.
hightor

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 11:29 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This is a political exaggeration.

Since you don't know the particulars of bobsal's case, I think your reply is a bigger "political exaggeration", one of your typical potshots at liberals while conservative media and Republican politicians actively spread medical misinformation and apparently get a pass from you.

Let's review the facts:

Many medical procedures have been postponed because of the influx of covid patients.

60% to 70% of hospitalized covid patients (in my state) are unvaccinated and nearly all the covid patients in intensive care and on ventilators are unvaccinated.

Effective vaccines are widely available. For free.

Were more people vaccinated, less people would be hospitalized.

So, to repeat, many medical procedures have been postponed because of the influx of covid patients.

Quote:
All of us miss getting a lap dance...

Speak for yourself.

Quote:
...blaming unvaccinated people for your not getting one is an exaggeration

Well, this was a World Economic Forum headline last year:

28 million elective surgeries may be cancelled worldwide: how non-COVID-19 medical care is suffering

Similar headlines and stories are easily found from around the world.

I don't think it's "political exaggeration" to point out that the continuing number of severe cases requiring hospitalization among the non-vaccinated has a direct effect on the number of non-covid operations that can be scheduled. Individual patients aren't being blamed; vaccine reticence has become an emerging problem in many Western countries, even pre-covid.

hightor

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 11:32 am
@roger,
Quote:
I imagine VA continues to have such outside sources.

I think the pandemic has led to a shortage of medical personnel across the board. It's very possible that some outpatient surgery clinics are presently experiencing staff shortages.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 12:10 pm
@hightor,
1. The "two years" is definitely bullshit. The vaccine has only been available for 10 months.

2. Cataract surgery is done by optometrists. They don't use ventilators or hospital beds.

3. Lots of elective surgeries were delayed because of social distancing requirements. This makes more sense in the case of elective eye surgery.

4. I had dental work delayed because of covid. Can I blame this on the unvaccinated people as well?

maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 12:14 pm
@hightor,
How much of this do you blame on Republicans, and how much is because we are in a global ******* pandemic.

At some point the constant political squabbling in the midst of a health crisis gets a little silly.

It is petty.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Bobsal is making a fantastic claim here... that if everyone just fell into line and complied with vaccine mandates that everything would be fine and he would have his cataract surgery.

There is no evidence that that is true. In a global pandemic, people have to wait for elective medical procedures. That's just reality, vaccination is a good thing, but it doesn't change the reality and certainly doesn't allow for time travel.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 12:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The "two years" is definitely bullshit.

If it were scheduled in '20 and postponed, then rescheduled in '21 and postponed again, the second delay could be attributed to scheduling problems due to unvaccinated covid patients. Why not find out the particulars from bobsal instead of simply declaring "bullshit"?

Quote:
They don't use ventilators or hospital beds.

They might be short-handed because of the acute nursing shortage.

Quote:
I had dental work delayed because of covid. Can I blame this on the unvaccinated people as well?

Only if your dental work was scheduled to take place in a hospital full of unvaccinated covid patients.