So no masks on planes now

Linkat

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 10:39 am
Hours after a federal judge struck down a nationwide mask requirement on airplanes, trains, buses and other public transportation on Monday, the country’s largest airlines said they would stop requiring masks, ending a practice that had been in place for most carriers for nearly two years.

Will this help with all the crazies on the planes - I do bet the airlines is breathing a sigh of relief so they no longer need to police people.

https://www.boston.com/news/national-news/2022/04/19/how-u-s-airlines-are-changing-their-mask-rules/?p1=hp_featurestack
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 938 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed
No top replies

hightor

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 10:50 am
@Linkat,
Am I correct that this ruling had nothing to do with the likelihood of an airborne (no pun intended) virus being spread in an enclosed space but that the CDC doesn't have the authority to make mask-wearing a requirement?
Linkat

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 11:40 am
@hightor,
Well the flight attendants will all be safer from physical harm.
hightor

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 12:04 pm
@Linkat,
Yes, god forbid we should actually expect grown ups to put up with the slightest inconvenience to protect public health.
Linkat

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 12:23 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Yes, god forbid we should actually expect grown ups to put up with the slightest inconvenience to protect public health.

They will probably find something else to cause a stir - so don't worry.
hightor

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
I know...I can hardly wait for the next wave of indignant outrage to catch on. It's as if someone threw a switch to sanction temper tantrums in adults!
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 01:23 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well the flight attendants will all be safer from physical harm.

I doubt it. Now that the government is banned from establishing safety codes on planes it is just a matter of time before someone comes up with something else they don't like.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 02:32 pm
Story on the opinion.

The Trump judge’s opinion striking down the airplane mask mandate is a legal disaster
glitterbag

Tue 19 Apr, 2022 09:15 pm
I was with my husband today for his doctor's appointment, it was a routine procedure but everyone in the doctors office was required to wear a mask and remain 6ft away from each other. This is still going on in medical facilities, and frankly sitting next to a bunch of strangers (who may or may not even be vaccinated for measles) I'm not ready to trust, so I'm wearing my mask. I'm not interested in how well protected large industries are, in maxing their profits. I need someone with a medical license, not a lawyer who practiced for 8 years and was given a judgeship despite lack of endorsement from the Bar.
0 Replies

Mame

Wed 20 Apr, 2022 01:42 pm
@engineer,
Well, the govt may appeal this half-baked decision. That article was a good one.

GB:
We Canadians still have places where masks are mandated - public transport, nursing homes, hospitals, and most dental offices, and we all seem to be okay with it.
Linkat

Wed 20 Apr, 2022 02:29 pm
@Mame,
Most states in the US have the same requirements (nursing homes, hospitals, and dental offices)- but most states are lifting the public transportation mandate.

The airplane mask mandates were actually dropped earlier for many other countries prior to the US. Many of the European countries/airlines had lifted the mask mandate prior to the US. I am pretty sure Canada is not lifting the airline mask mandate.
Region Philbis

Wed 20 Apr, 2022 04:45 pm

DOJ appeals federal ruling on transportation mask mandate
(cnn)
0 Replies

Mame

Wed 20 Apr, 2022 05:00 pm
@Linkat,
No, they're not.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:09 pm
@engineer,
The mask mandates are and always were inane. Coronaviruses are not very effective at aerosol transmission. They are, however, really good at spreading through direct contact. Hand sanitation and keeping hands away from one's face were a great idea. Masks are not only worthless, but simply stupid.
roger

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:15 pm
@CowDoc,
Long time; no see. Too long.
CowDoc

Tue 24 May, 2022 03:54 pm
@roger,
I look around A2K on occasion, but the flaming radical liberalism on so many threads makes me leave the site fairly quickly. There was a time I felt most posters were capably of reasonable thought,
glitterbag

Tue 24 May, 2022 03:59 pm
@roger,
My husband still works for NSA, and they reinstated the mask requirement today. NSA is located on Ft. George Meade, an Army base in Maryland.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 24 May, 2022 04:00 pm
@CowDoc,
By the way, forgot to thank you for your medical advice.
0 Replies