Do you think the Pfizer pill will be a game-changer?

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:19 pm
Apparently it's 88 - 89% effective (while Merck sits at 50%). Do you think the unvaccinated would be more willing to take a pill than a jab?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 1,156 • Replies: 27

roger

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:25 pm
@Mame,
How do we know it doesn't have microchips and stuff like that.

Seems like the same objections would apply - whatever that might be
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:28 pm
@Mame,
Yes! I think it is a game changer.

There is a big difference between asking someone to take a vaccine for a disease they don't have.

The chance someone who is unvaccinated will ever actually be hospitalized or die is pretty damn low. (The chance an unvaccinated person who catches covid in the US will die from it is about 1.6%, and the chance that they will catch covid in the first place is even lower).

You are asking people to get vaccinated to protect them against something that probably won't kill them anyway.

The pill, of course, is for people who already have the disease. That is a much easier sell.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:30 pm
@roger,
Microchips - that's funny. I think people are more used to pills than jabs. Pills are easier to transport and store, easier to dispense, and likely there is no pain. If they'd come up with pills in the first place, we wouldn't have had all the storage, transpiration, and expiration issues.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 12:39 pm
@Mame,
Don't knock microchips, the only reason Oralloy had the vaccine was so he'd be able to use the cat flap.
hightor

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:08 pm
@Mame,
As it won't stop the spread of the disease and must be taken within a few days of contracting the infection I think the pandemic will continue to spread and variants will continue to occur. If it shortens hospital stays that will be a positive. But vaccinations so that as well.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:09 pm
@izzythepush,
That made me laugh!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:10 pm
@hightor,
Yes, but hopefully they'll be able to tweak it like they did with the jab. I agree with your prognosis.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:11 pm
@Mame,
I’m not so sure. A lot of the unvaccinated still don’t believe COVID is real. One lady I know called it a Hoax from the beginning and ended up with COVID and in the hospital for a week. That was three months ago and she still has issues with her lungs and still hasn’t been vaccinated. She’s also a Trumplican.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 01:18 pm
@jcboy,
You may very well be right. I can't get into the logic of some of these people. I really don't know why they're taken such a strong stance against it. Don't they watch the news? The numbers don't lie. I'm sure there are many reasons, but it's so illogical.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
engineer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 02:28 pm
@hightor,
An article I was listening to this morning said the pill works by inhibiting the virus reproduction cycle so viral load is much lower than normal. This has the potential to slow the spread as well. If the pill just reduces the load on hospitals it could be a real game changer, allowing hospitals to focus on the worst cases.
hightor

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 02:36 pm
@engineer,
That sounds promising. The only thing I heard when they first announced this medicine a week or so ago was some doctor making the point I repeated in my post; how many people will know they're sick early enough. "No, I'm okay dear <cough-cough> really, just a cold <cough-cough> I'll tough it out."
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 02:43 pm
an odious and relentless old nag wrote:
It is almost as if they would be disappointed by unvaccinated people not dying.

Again???

No one here has said anything like that.

Give it up, FFS.
hightor

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 03:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The problem is that the "unvaccinated" have stopped being human beings.

What? Everyone recognizes them as "human beings" – human beings who threaten public health measures designed to protect human beings.

Quote:
Read the posts here, and tell me that isn't true.

That isn't true.