Novak Djokovic Leaves Australia After Losing His Bid to Stay

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:14 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01/15/sports/djokovic-australia

Novak Djokovic, a Master on the Court, Keeps Making Errors Off It
Djokovic, the Serbian tennis star, is at the center of some of the most divisive debates of the pandemic: Individual versus community, science versus quackery.

Excerpts:

When the tennis tour was on hiatus during the spring of 2020, Djokovic did several Instagram chats with the wellness guru Chervin Jafarieh. During one of their conversations, Djokovic claimed that the mind could purify water.

“I know some people that, through energetical transformation, through the power of prayer, through the power of gratitude, they managed to turn the most toxic food, or maybe the most polluted water, into the most healing water, because the water reacts,” he said. “Scientists have proven that in experiment, that molecules in the water react to our emotions to what has been said.” (“The people of Flint, Michigan, would love to hear that news,” the tennis commentator Mary Carillo replied.) (Wingnut)

While it appears that bureaucratic bungling is at least partly to blame, Djokovic has been the architect of his own troubles. He submitted a visa application that included incorrect and possibly misleading information, and had the temerity to show up unvaccinated in a country that has endured some of the world’s strictest Covid-19 lockdowns and that is sagging under the Omicron variant. At the very least, Djokovic’s approach suggested insensitivity, although his critics, whose numbers are growing by the hour, are more inclined to see it as callous indifference. His recent admission that he had gone ahead with an interview with a French journalist in December after supposedly contracting the coronavirus has caused especially intense outrage. (The reporter said that Djokovic did not disclose that he had tested positive.)

Whether it was miscalculation, arrogance or some combination of the two that led Djokovic to think he could show up in Melbourne unvaccinated and just play, he now finds himself isolated in the tennis world. Few players have publicly supported him. The former world No. 1 Martina Navratilova said that she had always spoken up for Djokovic and felt that he got “a raw deal” from fans who were hostile to him. But not now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/15/sports/tennis/novak-djokovic-australian-open.html

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:17 pm
More broadly, he lost to a government determined to make him a symbol of unvaccinated celebrity entitlement; to an immigration law that gives godlike authority to border enforcement; and to a public outcry, in a nation of rule-followers, over what was widely seen as Mr. Djokovic’s reckless disregard for others, after he said he had tested positive for Covid last month and met with two journalists anyway.

from: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/16/world/australia/djokovic-deported.html
hightor

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:38 pm
@Mame,
What an ass.

Maybe he can play on a new sports organization featuring all unvaccinated athletes – there are already enough of them to make a basketball team.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:41 pm
@hightor,
I suspect there will be fewer as time goes by. Survival of the fittest, and all that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:43 pm
@hightor,
He IS an ass, and a wingnut. I'm so glad Australia deported his arrogant butt.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:54 pm
@Mame,
What remarkable arrogance.
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:56 pm
@glitterbag,
He is also a liar. He lied on his visa application and blamed it on his 'team'. Right. Who signs the damn form? He's responsible.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 02:20 pm
@Mame,

should change his name to Novax...
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 03:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
Over there they are calling him Novax Covijdic(sp)
cherrie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 06:00 pm
@Mame,
He's also being referred to as Novax Djokument.
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 06:03 pm
@cherrie,
lol For his false statements in his visa application? I read that 83% wanted the entitled little **** deported.
engineer

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 06:04 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

He is also a liar. He lied on his visa application and blamed it on his 'team'. Right. Who signs the damn form? He's responsible.

True, but no way Djokivic fills out his own paperwork, Lol.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 06:17 pm
There is another side of this. Djokovic is, of course, a complete wing nut and creator of his own misfortune, but aside from being the best men's tennis player in history, he is tremendously respected by the rank and file players. He has strongly advocated for journeymen players to receive more prize money instead on concentrating it at the top, he pushed hard for a players' fund to help those struggling during the Covid-19 layoffs, he's the first to speak up for his fellow players (most recently Peng Shuai). Djokovic had already made the decision to stay home if he could not get a visa, but he was granted one. A couple of other players who are still in Australia received similar visas. If the Australian government didn't want him in country the should have said something before he got on the plane.

This deportation comes with an automatic three year ban from the country so it's likely the most successful men's player in AO history has played there for the last time.
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 07:11 pm
@engineer,
Okay, a few things, engineer.

1) He got that visa based on false information. That alone is reason enough.

2) Everything else you said about him is true, if news reports are to be believed. However, he did speak out against Naomi Osaka for not doing interviews when her mental health was an issue.

3) I am unaware of who else received 'similar visas', so can't speak to that.

4) The Australians badly mishandled the whole thing, I can certainly agree with that. Likely the person issuing the visa didn't know some information was false. Perhaps an investigation was conducted on his activities and thus the challenge.

5) The Prime Minister is already suggesting/hinting that he would be allowed back in before the ban expiry date.

6) He did handle his deportation with grace and class, and he's to be commended for that, especially when considering his probable disappointment at not being able to achieve 21.

I don't think he's a real asshole, but his lying (and then blaming his team) to get into the country is egregious and the most important factor to me.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 11:44 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

lol For his false statements in his visa application? I read that 83% wanted the entitled little **** deported.

More for the fact that he doesn't have a vaccination document.

I don't know what the numbers are but from what I'm hearing and reading on facebook that sounds about right.
Mame

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 01:53 am
@cherrie,
No, he said he had a medical exemption. That's what his visa was granted on. Then all the lies came pouring out.
cherrie

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 02:32 am
@Mame,
Yes I realise that. I think something might have got a bit lost there, it was meant to be humour.

Novax Djokument

No vax document.
roger

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 02:34 am
@cherrie,
Took awhile, but I got the connection.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 04:45 pm
There is more people watching Novak return home than watching live tennis in the stands! Good riddance. Razz
engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 07:03 pm
@jcboy,
Ah, but he's the best man ever when on the court. It's a big loss for tennis. Of course tennis will survive long after Djokovic is dust, but for us tennis fans, it's a hard end to an unrivaled career.
0 Replies