Texas Effectively Bans Abortions

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2021 02:56 pm
So, the USSC hastened their hearing on Texas' abortion law.

Texas, Justice Dept. argue over role of federal courts as abortion law dispute heads to Supreme Court

"The cases the court will hear Monday raise complicated legal procedure questions precisely because S.B. 8 was drafted to avoid federal court review."

WHOLE WOMAN’S HEALTH ET AL. v. AUSTIN REEVE JACKSON, JUDGE, ET AL.
Quote:
To prevail in an application for a stay or an injunc-
tion, an applicant must carry the burden of making a
“strong showing” that it is “likely to succeed on the merits,”
that it will be “irreparably injured absent a stay,” that the
balance of the equities favors it, and that a stay is con-
sistent with the public interest.

The Court wouldn't rule as to whether this law is constitutional or not when it was first challenged, raising procedural questions as if procedures can override the constitutionality of a law that has de facto banned abortions (read: irreparably injured absent a stay) in Texas.

Ironically, this is an example of judicial activism that conservatives decry—when it doesn't serve their ends.
engineer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2021 03:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
I think by not staying the law until it could hear it, the SC has pretty much signaled that they will uphold it. No way a law that has immediate, negative impacts would be allowed to go into effect otherwise.
mark noble

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2021 10:13 am
@engineer,
Population-Control-Directive 1&7
1. Nobody is allowed to produce offspring unless licensed to do so.
7. Any individual may request cessation of existence and, given a determinable duration of optoutancy, be assured of such.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Wilso

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 07:24 pm
There's an easy solution here for America's women. Refuse to have sex with white men until your reproductive rights are assured. There would probably be an increase in sexual assaults given the breathtaking sense of entitlement held by conservatives, but I think the issue would be resolved fairly quickly.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 08:01 pm
Thom Hartmann program

Governor Mike Pence's bill in Indiana required funerals for miscarriages and abortions.

This was an actual bill signed into law by Mike Pence in Indiana. Women who had miscarriages were tracked and were required to give funerals.

Remember, Mike Pence was the saner of the pair in the White House.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 12:14 pm
AL Franken

Why the founding fathers didn't mention abortion in the Constitution.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2022 12:27 pm
Quote:
Doctors have denied an American woman on holiday in Malta a potentially life-saving abortion, despite saying her baby had a “zero chance” of survival after she was admitted to hospital with severe bleeding in her 16th week of pregnancy.

Despite an “extreme risk” of haemorrhage and infection, doctors at the Mater Dei hospital in Msida told Andrea Prudente that they would not perform a termination because of the country’s total ban on abortion.

Prudente and her husband are seeking a medical transfer from Malta to the UK, which the couple say is their only option due to the risk to her life. They claim medical staff were uncooperative in their attempts to leave and in sharing medical records with the couple’s insurance company.

“I just want to get out of here alive,” Prudente told the Guardian from her hospital room in Malta’s capital, Valletta. “I couldn’t in my wildest dreams have thought up a nightmare like this.”

Activists in Malta say the case has alarming echoes of the treatment of Savita Halappanavar, who died of sepsis in an Irish hospital in 2012 after doctors refused a request to terminate her pregnancy when she began to miscarry at 17 weeks, due to the abortion ban that was in place in Ireland then.

Malta is the only country in the EU to ban abortion under any circumstances. The only options for those seeking to end a pregnancy on the island nation are to buy illegal abortion medication online or seek a termination overseas.

Prudente, 38, was on holiday with her partner, Jay Weeldreyer, 45, on the island of Gozo on 12 June when she began bleeding heavily in the night.

Doctors in Gozo prescribed her a drug to protect against miscarriage, but two days later when they were back on Malta, the main island, Prudente’s waters broke and she was admitted to St Thomas hospital, where she was told that her placenta had become partially detached.

A follow-up ultrasound 48 hours later found there was no amniotic fluid left in her womb, and the couple were told the baby could not survive. They were also told that because of Malta’s abortion law, there was nothing doctors could do to end the pregnancy as long as the foetus had a heartbeat.

Prudente was transferred to Mater Dei hospital, where she was additionally diagnosed with a ruptured membrane and an umbilical cord that was protruding from her cervix, putting her at even greater risk of haemorrhage and infection. She also tested positive for Covid-19. She is being kept in Covid isolation and receiving antibiotics to ward off infection.

Weeldreyer said medical staff came to check for a foetal heartbeat every day.

“It’s an inconceivable form of emotional and psychological torture,” he said. “Part of me still celebrates hearing the heartbeat … and at the same time, I don’t want that heartbeat there because this is just leading to more suffering for this woman that I love.”

Lara Dimitrijevic, founder of Malta’s Women’s Rights Foundation and the lawyer representing Prudente, said the hospital only provided medical records after she intervened, which has delayed a transfer to the UK.

“It took a day for Andrea to receive her file and we are dealing with an emergency situation,” she said. “Every minute could lend itself to putting Andrea’s life in danger.”

Mater Dei hospital confirmed that it had given Prudente access to her file, but did not comment further on the case.

Prudente said the current advice from Maltese medical staff was for her to leave the hospital and wait at the couple’s hotel for the foetus’s heartbeat to stop or for Prudente to develop an infection, after which they could intervene.

“I feel like I’m being actively traumatised,” she said.

The Women’s Rights Foundation filed a judicial protest last week on behalf of 188 women, claiming the Maltese government’s blanket ban on abortion breached their right to health, privacy and equality. The foundation is now preparing to launch a case challenging the constitutional ban.

Weeldreyer said the couple had no idea that Malta had an abortion ban when they booked the holiday, intended to be a “babymoon”, where they could spend time on a Mediterranean island before the birth of their first child together.

Prudente said she was “desperate” to get off the island and receive appropriate medical care, but also wanted to raise awareness of the situation in Malta to prevent others suffering in the way that she had.

“I don’t want this to happen to more people,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/jun/22/us-woman-left-traumatised-after-malta-hospital-refuses-life-saving-abortion
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 07:18 am
@izzythepush,
Some good news, she will be flying to Mallorca, a Spanish island, later on today.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
I had hoped something like that could happen.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 07:34 am
@edgarblythe,
At least she has the option, Maltese women aren't so lucky.

She will have to sign herself out, against medical advice, in order to get on the helicoptor.

It must be terrifying for the poor woman, if losing the child wasn't traumatic enough.

Funny they chose Spain after originally opting for the UK, I thought it must be because it's nearer, and it is, but Sicily is closer still.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 08:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Funny they chose Spain after originally opting for the UK, I thought it must be because it's nearer, and it is, but Sicily is closer still.
It's their insurance company, which finalised arrangements for them to be airlifted to Mallorca.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 08:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I know who did it. I was just thinking, considering the urgency, they might have gone for somewhere a lot closer.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 08:24 am
@maxdancona,
See, you see this as a thing to bully your way through about.

Proving leftists are of poor character.

You know what most people do when a place isn't what they want? They suck it up and move to any number of places that does have what they want.

If California or Vermont or Massachusetts every stop aborting babies, you have my permission to complain about it and try to overturn it.
But that Texas wants to not have abortion shoved down its throat? Texas also wants to be its own country. I think we should let them. I will proudly show my passport and move to Texas.

You woke bastards can have your woke country, I'll be part of the nation of Texas.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 09:02 am
@engineer,
Quote:
The Supreme Court speaks ... and abortion is banned in Texas and soon through much of the US. The law has no exclusions including rape and incest and prohibits abortion after 6 wks which is before many women know they are pregnant.

You're a pretty dumb woman if can't figure out that you've been throwing up and eating alot of strange foods together.

Just saying.

In fact, if you've been raped, you're a pretty dumb woman if you don't immediately check yourself for pregnancy.

If you have sex, the first thing you should be doing is both be wearing a condom. Second, most women who don't want kids are on birth control. Lastly, women's condoms often have spermicide put on them.
Between these three, you shouldn't be getting pregnant if you don't want it.

A person who is a dumbass and fails to do anything to prevent something, has no business killing a child for her dumbass mistake.

This is like me being told that I'm supposed to pay taxes, earning well into the six figures (ensuring that mt taxes will be high), betting it all on horse races and losing every cent, and then being at a loss at tax time. At that point, the Fed should come to my house and shoot me dead for effectively laundering all the money earmarked for their use.

In places where abortion is supported, you know how late it's allowed to be done? The last minute, and often up to days afterward. At that point, it goes well beyond poor planning and into actual malice. You cannot say these women are that stupid.

No records are kept for late-term abortion, according to Mother Jones, so they assume that it's 0%. Uhhh, or it could be the majority.

Btw, there are more abortions (yearly average btwn 500k and a million) than death from guns (14,000 or so). See yet why conservatives are more interested in banning abortions than guns? One kills over a half-million each year, who nobody ever hears screaming, the other mainly results from convenience stores, bank robberies, and break-ins.

If you're really concerned about violence, why are you not concerned about what happens to little kids? As a matter of routine, in fact?
Abortion centers literally have human body parts on shelves
And no, I don't typically favor pregnancy. I wouldn't know what to do with a family, since I am not financially well off. But a child can be prevented well before the last possible minute and you know it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 10:35 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

See, you see this as a thing to bully your way through about.

Proving leftists are of poor character.

You know what most people do when a place isn't what they want? They suck it up and move to any number of places that does have what they want.

If California or Vermont or Massachusetts every stop aborting babies, you have my permission to complain about it and try to overturn it.
But that Texas wants to not have abortion shoved down its throat? Texas also wants to be its own country. I think we should let them. I will proudly show my passport and move to Texas.

You woke bastards can have your woke country, I'll be part of the nation of Texas.

Oh, please, please, please. Let it happen!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2022 04:00 pm
Girolamo Savonarola lives!

Louisiana Republicans advance bill to make abortion a crime of murder.

https://www.theguardian.com/us
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 03:10 pm
In case you’re not aware US. You’re a ******* shithole, a billions of people now give thanks they weren’t born there. Especially women. You’re treatment of women is nothing short of deplorable
Glennn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 03:18 pm
@Wilso,
You can tell a lot about a country by the way women and animals are treated there.

Some people still think they have a right to oversee the function of another's body.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 04:50 pm
There are actually places in the US where it’s illegal to buy sex toys, but perfectly legal to buy military assault rifles.

American women should stop having sex with white men, and see how long it takes to have their rights restored