Brilliant Old TV Shows That Almost No One Knows or Cares About Anymore

Brandon9000

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 02:18 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I loved "The Avengers" starring Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg. But now, when you mention "The Avengers," people think you're referring to the immensely inferior movie series.

I remember Emma Peel being dazzling. I was very young, but even then I knew that was not just an ordinary lady.

The two lead characters' personalities were half the show. They were talented and unflappable. There was an episode in which a scientist had invented a machine that would figure out a person's greatest fears. He would then use this knowledge to kill them. At one point, he hooked the machine up to Mrs. Peel and it registered nothing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 02:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Emma Peel was just one of Steed’s companions there were two others. Honor Blackman played one.

In the 70s it was rebooted as The New Avengers with Gareth Hunt and Joanna Lumley joining Patrick McNee’s character.

As far as immensely inferior movies go there is a 1998 movie out with Ralph Fiennes and Una Thurman as Steed and Peel.

I know that the part of "The Avengers" that America experienced was only part of the show. I had a Scottish girlfriend once whose uncle was someone Patrick Macnee cited as one of a handful of people he based John Steed on.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 03:23 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Diana Rigg is chilling in the drama Mother Love.

It’s well worth a view.

Haven't seen that one but I remember Diana Rigg as the evil Mrs Danvers in Rebecca.

https://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/22200000/Rebecca-diana-rigg-22227216-800-505.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 03:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Diana Rigg is chilling in the drama Mother Love.

It’s well worth a view.

I looked it up and it’s a television series that I don’t think I have access to. I was hoping it was a movie- that way I could probably find it somewhere.
Phoenix32890

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 08:45 pm
@snood,
It looked interesting to me, so I looked it up. You can get it used for about $24 bucks plus $4 shipping.
edgarblythe

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 08:55 pm
I liked this Burt Reynolds TV series.

Evening Shade is an American sitcom television series that aired on CBS from September 21, 1990, to May 23, 1994. The series stars Burt Reynolds as Wood Newton, an ex-professional football player for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who returns to rural Evening Shade, Arkansas, to coach a high-school football team with a long losing streak. Reynolds personally requested to use the Steelers as his character's former team, because he was a fan
0 Replies

snood

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 08:58 pm
@Phoenix32890,
The whole series? That’s worth it, even if I only watch a couple of episodes.
Phoenix32890

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 09:16 pm
@snood,
Oh Snood, I usually don't do stuff like this, but I am half asleep. I bought a compilation of 5 discs with Diana Rigg. I am not even sure that Mother Love is in the set, but I will find out. I loved Rigg in "The Avengers".
snood

Tue 29 Jun, 2021 09:35 pm
@Phoenix32890,
LOL
Maybe you’ll find some hidden gems. You can’t lose with Diana Rigg.
Tai Chi

Thu 1 Jul, 2021 06:35 am
@snood,
Highly recommend "Mother Love". Diana Rigg is truly chilling. Hope it's in your bundle Phoenix!
snood

Thu 1 Jul, 2021 06:45 am
@Tai Chi,
Is she ‘borderline incestuous’ creepy, or just plain psycho creepy?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 01:29 am
They’re showing Toast of London on Netflicks.

Very funny, Mat Berry is superb.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 04:51 am
@Tai Chi,
Guess I just need to watch it.
izzythepush

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 05:54 am
@snood,
I saw it a very long time ago.

I think Rigg’s character is a narcissist, I don’t recall her being particularly incestuous, but it was along time ago.
izzythepush

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 05:56 am
@izzythepush,
From what I remember she does a lot of poisoning, using toxins in household plants.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Thu 8 Jul, 2021 12:38 pm
The Alexei Sayle Show, a British comedy sketch show in the nineties. It opened with a song sung by kids:

"Who's the ugly bastard that's as fat as he can be? A L E X E I
S A Y L E"

izzythepush

Thu 8 Jul, 2021 12:52 pm
@coluber2001,
Alexei Sayle was also part of The Comic Strip, a series of stand alone comedy dramas.

And he was in The Young Ones.

I heard a story attributed to him on the radio the other day. Everybody was quite complementary about his dancing considering his size, everybody that is except The Golden Girls.

They were all ex Broadway and he said he’d never known criticism like it.

coluber2001

Thu 8 Jul, 2021 01:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Alexei Sayle is probably well known in England, but not in the US. His show was just bought by PBS, And not all stations carried it. Monty Python failed go get buyers in the US until KERA in Dallas--of all places--finally showed it. Then it became a sensation.
Brandon9000

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 04:29 am
"Leave it to Beaver" which ran from 1957 to 1963. Every single episode was well written. One of the attractions of the show is that his world is better than real. For example, he has the perfect mother, father, and brother. Hugh Beaumont, who played the father, died fairly young and I've read that his actual family finds rather disturbing the unending stream of people who come to pay tribute to his grave. I've also read that Barbara Billingsley, who played the mother, received until hear death many letters written by young girls from broken homes who regarded her as the mother they wished they had had.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 06:31 am
@coluber2001,
What works over there is always a mystery.

James Corden has always been ****, as has Russel Brand, but they both went down well in America.

Of Pete and Dud, Peter Cook was always the more talented comedian, but Dudley Moore was theo e who had success.

And Rik Mayall, one of the funniest men I have ever seen, flopped after Drop Dead Fred.

Only Fools and Horses is the most successful popular sitcom over here by a mile, but on another thread someone had never heard of Del Boy, but had heard of Granville from Open All Hours, which doesn't make the top 20.