Brilliant Old TV Shows That Almost No One Knows or Cares About Anymore

coluber2001

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 03:58 pm
That Was the Week that Was.

It was an American version of a long-running English satirical news program. The American version ran in 1964-1965 and, as I recall, was very funny and intelligent. It ran for about 20 years in England, but the American version never took off for some reason. That was before PBS, so it may have not been a big moneymaker because it was controversial.
Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Loved it!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:26 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well for young people those shows are forgotten - when speaking of the original Star Trek....

Largely, but I mean much more forgotten than that. "Trek" is on Netflix and there are DVDs for sale. This isn't the generic TV nostalgia thread. This is for shows that virtually no one who didn't see them long ago is aware existed.
Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:28 pm
@snood,
Walter Brennan also used to say of his grandson, "He's the third fastest gun alive. His father's the second and I'm the first.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:29 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
That Was the Week that Was.

It was an American version of a long-running English satirical news program. The American version ran in 1964-1965 and, as I recall, was very funny and intelligent. It ran for about 20 years in England, but the American version never took off for some reason. That was before PBS, so it may have not been a big moneymaker because it was controversial.

My mother and I loved it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
Ok I will take myself off this thread...I've been shunned
snood

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:44 pm
@Linkat,
It wasn’t personal; there’s just a difference between old shows that have almost passed from our memories and old shows that are still in regular rotation in syndication and can be easily found by anyone wanting to see an episode.

0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:07 pm
Have Gun--Will Travel

He was more negotiator than gunfighter.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:15 pm
Anyone remember Mr Terrific, and Captain Nice?

Both shows had mild-mannered guys who became a superhero after taking something- Mr Terrific took a pill; Captain Nice drank a potion.

I think both of those shows only lasted one season. I probably watched every single episode - I was (and kinda still am) a fan of superheros.
snood

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:21 pm
Ooh! How about the show Chuck Conners did after the Rifleman?

Branded - about a soldier who got stripped of his rank and dishonored because they said he was a deserter.

I remember the theme song clearly...

“ Branded! scorned as the one who ran...
What do you do when you’re branded,
But you know you’re a man? “
edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:36 pm
Hennesey is an American military comedy-drama television series that aired on CBS from 1959 to 1962, starring Jackie Cooper and Abby Dalton.

Cooper played a United States Navy physician, Lt. Charles W. "Chick" Hennesey, with Abby Dalton as Navy nurse Lt. Martha Hale. In the story line, they are assigned to the hospital at the U.S. Naval Station in San Diego, California.
>Wikipedia<

In one episode Bobby Darin played a malingering pop star who wanted his discharge badly enough to pull some crap. After Nennesey helped him straighten out his thinking he ended the episode with his hit song Mack the Knife.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:49 pm
My last post reminded me of Cades County because Bobby Darin was in an episode of that. It starred Glenn Ford and Edgar Buchannon.

"Sam Cade is the tough but sensitive sheriff of sprawling Madrid County located somewhere in the American Southwest. Between chases and shootouts, episodes deal with a number of relevant '70s issues such as the plight of the American Indian."

Bobby Darin played a young psycho who thought he was Billy the kid wanting to have it out with Cade, whom he mistook for Pat Garrett. He first appears on horseback. He uses a bazooka to blow a truck off the road.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:54 pm
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.tmdb.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Fw780%2F9zvc03mGeRtuMfAasghNTn2zapv.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
Eric Ambler created this detective series starring Anthony George, Doug McClure, and Sebastian Cabot.
edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 06:56 pm
@hightor,
I had forgot that Doug McClure and Sebastion Cabot were in that.
hightor

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 07:00 pm
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ffanart.tv%2Ffanart%2Ftv%2F77268%2Ftvposter%2Fthe-time-tunnel-5e1bd0ba99d9d.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
snood

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 07:00 pm
roger

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 07:02 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Ok I will take myself off this thread...I've been shunned

Oh poop! I was going to submit McHale's Navy, but it's still out there. It included Tim Conway maybe for the first time. He later did sketches on the Carol Burnett show, where he became maybe the best comic I've ever seen - right up there with Richard Pryor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 07:04 pm
@snood,
I caught reruns of that about three years ago. Good show.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 07:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Checkmate, yeah – it ran pretty late at night, 10:00 to 11:00, I think. I hardly ever got to watch it but I knew it was cool as hell. It was adult fare and I don't think I could even grasp the depth of psychological intrigue propelling the plot. But I knew it was cool as hell.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 07:52 pm
@snood,
Another Chuck Conners show I liked was this:
In 1983, Connors joined Sam Elliott, Cybill Shepherd, Ken Curtis, and Noah Beery, Jr. in the short-lived NBC series The Yellow Rose, about a modern Texas ranching family. I was disappointed when they canceled it.