Brilliant Old TV Shows That Almost No One Knows or Cares About Anymore

Sat 19 Jun, 2021 09:54 pm
Do you know of any brilliant old TV shows that almost know one remembers or cares about anymore?

In my adult life, I have almost never watched TV game shows, because they don't interest me, but there's one exception - "What's My Line?" It ran from 1950 to 1967. There was one more incarnation of it that ran a few more years, but I'm not talking about that here.

During the course of an episode, there would be four or five guests and the panel would try to guess their professions. The moderator would try to prevent them from guessing it. At least one of the guests was always a celebrity. There were four panelists and a moderator, and it would be almost correct to say that the lineup never changed. It did change slowly over time and when one person was unavailable, of course there would be a substitute, but you certainly got a chance to know the people and the moderator and two panelists were there through virtually the whole run of the show.

Every episode was interesting and funny, and many times it was brilliantly funny. As I said, you got to know the personnel, and feel almost like you knew really knew them. Once you watch about ten episodes, you kind of fall into that universe and begin to understand more of the humor and references.

Now, no one who wasn't alive during its run has heard of it and there are no DVDs to speak of - just a few low quality DVDs with a handful of episodes. Really, the only way to watch it today is on YouTube. Some international entertainment company bought and owns the rights, but even they seem to have forgotten about it. It's sad and I feel that the episodes may be in danger of being permanently lost.

Do you know of any really good old TV shows that almost know one remembers or cares about anymore?

Mame

Sat 19 Jun, 2021 10:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
Yeah, we had a couple here in Canada:

To Tell The Truth

Three contestants claim to be a person with an unusual distinction or occupation. One is telling the truth, and the other two are impostors. Four celebrity panelists ask them questions to figure out who is telling the truth.

My father was on this one as himself, and later, because he was such a good liar, as someone else.

Front Page Challenge

The long-running series featured notable journalists attempting to guess the recent or old news story with which a hidden guest challenger was linked by asking him or her questions, in much the same manner as the American quiz shows, What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth. Each round of the game started with news footage that introduced the news story in question to the studio audience and home viewers out of earshot of the panelists. After the guest was identified and/or the news story determined, the journalists then interviewed the guest about the story or about achievements or experiences for which he or she was known.
oralloy

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 12:03 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's sad and I feel that the episodes may be in danger of being permanently lost.

If you fear they might be removed, you could try downloading all the shows that are archived on YouTube.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube-dl
Brandon9000

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 01:21 am
@oralloy,
Thanks.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 01:22 am
My spelling here sucks. I have to learn to proofread things.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 04:14 am
And what about Soupy Sales/Razzle Dazzle

Captain Kangaroo

Mr. Dressup
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 04:14 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yeah, we had a couple here in Canada:

To Tell The Truth

Three contestants claim to be a person with an unusual distinction or occupation. One is telling the truth, and the other two are impostors. Four celebrity panelists ask them questions to figure out who is telling the truth.

My father was on this one as himself, and later, because he was such a good liar, as someone else.

Front Page Challenge

The long-running series featured notable journalists attempting to guess the recent or old news story with which a hidden guest challenger was linked by asking him or her questions, in much the same manner as the American quiz shows, What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth. Each round of the game started with news footage that introduced the news story in question to the studio audience and home viewers out of earshot of the panelists. After the guest was identified and/or the news story determined, the journalists then interviewed the guest about the story or about achievements or experiences for which he or she was known.

Wow. I was just talking about To Tell the Truth with a co-worker at the golf course this week. We were discussing old shows...and had listened to 20 minutes of Paul Lynde responses on Hollywood Squares. (Great stuff.)

Anyway, I remembered a particular show when a contestant was supposedly an opera singer. One of the questions Dorothy Kilgallen asked was, "What is the name of the lead male character in Carmen?" The woman she asked answered, "Don Jose"...pronouncing the name with an English J sound (sorta) rather than Don Hose as one would in Spanish.

When doing the finish, Kilgallen went out of her way to say she thought the woman to whom she had asked her question was the opera singer, but was eliminating her for pronouncing Don Jose wrong.

Turned out that the woman was the singer...and explained that Carmen is written in French...and the name Don Jose is pronounced in a French way rather than Spanish...which makes it sound like a slurred English J.

Kilgallen was appropriately embarrassed.

Great episode of a wonderful old TV show.

Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 04:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
I had no idea you got that show down there - it was great because we took "Current Events" in school and they were two of the shows we were quizzed on (grade 6).

I loved Paul Lynde - such a character and I watched that Hollywood Squares, too Smile Some of the one-liners were so funny.

Do you remember ever watching The Newlywed Game? Such innocent times.
Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 04:28 am
@Mame,
Also, speaking of opera singers, one time on Jeopardy, they had a celebrity show and Beverly Sills was asked what was the capital of Canada. She had just played there, she said, and confidently said "Alberta". Buzz.
farmerman

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 05:10 am
@Mame,
"WHAT IN THE WORLD". I was aboout 5 to 10 years old when I first saw this show. It was a panel of archeologists and other scientists who investigated artifacts from the worlds' past. These guys were associated with top Museums nd Universities. I think my interest in how science works began with this show.

MArlin Perkins "Zoo Parade" it was where i first learned the difference between a striped skunk and a civet cat

The SID CEASER SHOW (my dad would watch this religiously and he explained the meaning of the jokes and, once I caught on I was amazed at the genius this troop had.

SMOTHERS BROTHERS SHOW. A brilliant ensemble comedy show that putt heads with the Nixon Era and lost.

Justin Wilson's "Best of Cajun Cooking" I loved his stories I GARONTEE

SOUPY SALES' Great Show

I have to recall some of the PBS News show

Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 05:14 am
@farmerman,
I loved the Smothers Brothers show! And the Carol Burnett show - they both embraced loopy humour. And who didn't love Sid Caesar (sp)?
farmerman

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 05:21 am
@Mame,
I remember the episode on Carol Burnett where they did a takeoff on "JAWS" and little Timmy ws talking about his girlfriend who he lost to a shark attack because she was wearing her "Good Luck Ham"

RED GREEN!!! I loved how Duck Tape was folded into the show so well.
"If women dont find ya handsome, at lleast theyll find ya handy"

SECOND CITY TV. and the SChmengie Brothers and Count Floyd
Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 05:28 am
@farmerman,
Oh absolutely SCTV with Count Floyd, Edith Prickley, Guy Caballero, Ed Grimley, etc... lol so crazy!

And Red Green was truly Canadian Smile I think a Canadian actually invented duct tape.... ha ha

I loved the Carol Burnett show where they did a takeoff on Gone With the Wind and she was wearing drapes.

And you know, the Sonny and Cher show was good, too. It had its moments.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:05 am
AND FOR THE UK CONTINGENT...

...The Val Parnell London Palladium Show...a kind of Ed Sullivan show...only better.

When I was in the UK...(USAF) we all watched that show. Lots and lots of American performers on it...never a hint that in a few years, UK performers were going to take over the music business.
Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:08 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I had no idea you got that show down there - it was great because we took "Current Events" in school and they were two of the shows we were quizzed on (grade 6).

I loved Paul Lynde - such a character and I watched that Hollywood Squares, too Smile Some of the one-liners were so funny.

Do you remember ever watching The Newlywed Game? Such innocent times.

Yeah...saw the Newlywed Game show also, Mame.

But...since I am a really old fart...I was mostly brought up on radio shows. TV only came around when I was almost in High School. We were not very well off...and I think we got our first TV set when I was 12 or 13.

Radio shows were special.
Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
yeah, the Brits did it first and did it better. Many US shows were based on earlier British versions. They're masters at laughing at themselves and that's what makes them so funny - we can all relate.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:10 am
@Frank Apisa,
when I was a little kid, I would liten to Gene Shephard, Bob and Ray, Monitor Radio and the Goon Show (came on via CBC)
Mame

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Do you remember the first tvs, Frank? We had to adjust some dial so it didn't roll over repeatedly. Often it was fuzzy...And we had to replace the picture tubes which our local grocer kept in stock? You're a tiny bit older than me, so we didn't do the radio shows, but we only had 2 channels. I remember in Britain we had to put coins in to make it work (ditto for the hot water).
edgarblythe

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:13 am
I grew up listening to The Great Gildersleeve. I missed the TV series because there were no TV stations in Fresno when it aired. A few years ago I looked it up on Youtube. The title character was shown in the opening with what appeared a lascivious grin on his face. That spoiled it for me and I didn't watch any of it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Jun, 2021 06:16 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

when I was a little kid, I would liten to Gene Shephard, Bob and Ray, Monitor Radio and the Goon Show (came on via CBC)

Gene Shephard was the greatest. I just loved his show. The guy could tell stories like no one else ever could or did.

I never got a Daisy Air Rifle because on him.