Brilliant Old TV Shows That Almost No One Knows or Cares About Anymore

Lash

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 07:49 am
Russell Brand’s hilarious chaotic commentary on his Rumble channel re Truss/podium/KCIII made me hyperventilate-snort-laugh. I guess he’s an acquired taste or specific style.

edgarblythe

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 07:49 am
@izzythepush,
Dudley Moore had a couple of movies I loved. His other appearances seemed just average.
izzythepush

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:00 am
@edgarblythe,
If you see any of the Pete and Dud sketches it's all Peter Cook.

Same with Derek and Clive.
izzythepush

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:01 am
@Lash,
He makes me want to throw up.

He is the unfunniest person I've ever encountered.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:25 am
@izzythepush,
I've seen a few.
izzythepush

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:28 am
@edgarblythe,
One of the best is the art gallery sketch where Pete asks Dud if he's enjoying his sandwich.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:44 am
Comedy and what one considers funny are definitely subjective as hell. For instance, there are a lot of people who find Ricky Gervais profoundly humorous. I think he’s just a wiseass punk who makes his living cutting people down.
izzythepush

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:57 am
@snood,
Ricky Gervais is ball achingly terrible. When Frankie Boyle was having a go at celebrity atheists on Room 101 he said that if you wanted proof there was no God, it was Derek getting a second season.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 10:34 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Comedy and what one considers funny are definitely subjective as hell. For instance, there are a lot of people who find Ricky Gervais profoundly humorous. I think he’s just a wiseass punk who makes his living cutting people down.

Amen!

Same thing goes for the "humor" supposedly shown by Judge Judy. What a mean bitch she is.

(I don't actually watch either, but have seen enough by accident to be turned off.)
snood

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 10:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
I actually used to like Judge Judy. In earlier shows, she seemed to spend more time and energy dismantling bullies and abusers. I think the fame went to her head and she started being the one doing the bullying and abusing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 10:47 am
Rule of thumb, best comics self depricate and attack the rich and powerful, not the powerless.

Even if they're not that gunny, at long as they'rd doing that, they're alright.

A lot of people really rate Stewart Lee as a comedian. He is very popular with sell out tours. I watched one of his shows which lasted about an hour. I found myself agreeing with pretty much everything he said, but I didn't laugh once. I smiled a couple of times but that was about it.

I don't have a problem with him at all, I think he's a pretty decent human being with sound ideas, he just doesn't make me laugh.
Lash

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 06:07 pm
@izzythepush,
This is sort of why I like Gervais—he attacks the powerful—mostly. I loved After Life (Netflix), but I can easily see that he’s not everyone’s cuppa.

Dave Chappelle is my favorite for decades, and Judah Friedlander on Netflix is enjoyable political commentary. Michael Che and Sheng Wang—honorable mentions. Definitely noting no females in my tidy little group. Maybe give them a try.

Derek was rough.
Phoenix32890

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 08:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't often watch "Judge" shows, but I love Judge Judy. The show finds the most obnoxious people, and Judy tells it like it is.

Remember, it is a show. Only the people involved in the production know how much is truth, and how much is hype.

Anyhow, I would have loved to have a friend like her!
coluber2001

Mon 24 Oct, 2022 10:10 pm
Mulberry

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z7JuKJrIL._SY300_QL70_.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 03:24 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I don't often watch "Judge" shows, but I love Judge Judy. The show finds the most obnoxious people, and Judy tells it like it is.

Remember, it is a show. Only the people involved in the production know how much is truth, and how much is hype.

Anyhow, I would have loved to have a friend like her!

Different strokes!

Another guy I am not fond of is the James Corden. I see he's gotten into a bit of trouble in a New York restaurant. I guess some people find him funny, but I just find him annoying.
izzythepush

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 03:32 am
@Lash,
He attacks transgender people. He is a bigoted piece of ****.

That's why you support him, you share his same prejudices towards innocent people.

You don't fool anyone.

You're descended from those who enslaved, tortured and murdered innocent black people and it shows.
Phoenix32890

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 07:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have no idea who James Corden is. I do know that there is nothing funny about bigotry.
Lash

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 11:02 am
@izzythepush,
You seem overwrought.
izzythepush

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 11:03 am
@Lash,
It's not your loved ones being targetted by Gervais.
Lash

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 11:08 am
@izzythepush,
I’ve heard him berate movie stars and most humans. He prefers animals.
I’ve never heard him go on about transgender people.

Your first sentence was about him, but your last three were quite personally attacking me—with no basis.

I think you’d be a better person if you’d curb that quick shift to baseless ad hom.