Brilliant Old TV Shows That Almost No One Knows or Cares About Anymore

snood

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 08:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Did you know that Chuck Conners was one of a very few (I think 12) people in history to have played both basketball and baseball professionally?
edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 08:57 pm
@snood,
I guess I didn't know he played basketball. He was good in some movies, such as The Big Country and Soylent Green.
Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 09:39 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Ok I will take myself off this thread...I've been shunned

You have not been shunned. You personally are great. We just ask you to adhere to the thread topic.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 09:41 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Anyone remember Mr Terrific, and Captain Nice?

Both shows had mild-mannered guys who became a superhero after taking something- Mr Terrific took a pill; Captain Nice drank a potion.

I think both of those shows only lasted one season. I probably watched every single episode - I was (and kinda still am) a fan of superheros.

Did you like "The Adventures of Superman?" It's probably my favorite show of all time.
Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 09:42 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ffanart.tv%2Ffanart%2Ftv%2F77268%2Ftvposter%2Fthe-time-tunnel-5e1bd0ba99d9d.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

It was flawed, but very worthwhile.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 21 Jun, 2021 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Another Chuck Conners show I liked was this:
In 1983, Connors joined Sam Elliott, Cybill Shepherd, Ken Curtis, and Noah Beery, Jr. in the short-lived NBC series The Yellow Rose, about a modern Texas ranching family. I was disappointed when they canceled it.

I remember that. It wasn't bad.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 02:57 am
One of my favorite radio shows...became a TV show for a short time. Almost nobody remembers it:

Mister District Attorney.

"And it shall be my duty as District Attorney, not only to prosecute to the limits of the laws all crimes perpetrated within this country, but to defend with equal vigor the rights and privilege's of all its citizens." (Or something close to that.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 03:34 am
There’s a difference between forgotten and destroyed, back in the 60s and 70s when videotape was very expensive the BBC recorded over lots of classic programmes effectively destroying them.

One of the biggest losses was comedy series Not Only But Also starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

There has been some efforts to salvage some of what was lost. Two lost episodes of Dad’s Army have been remade with a modern cast and Doctor Who is being animated.

The Patrick Troughton Doctor suffered the most, and there is an industry dedicated to tracking down lost episodes. To date certain adventures have been released on DVD with a missing episode animated from the original sound recordings, and some complete adventures have been animated, the Macra, Power of the Daleks and The Faceless Ones.

There is a lot of speculation about when the next animated episode, Evil of the Daleks will be produced. That’s the one I’m most looking forward too, I can remember watching it when I was a kid.

0 Replies

hightor

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 03:35 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

Did you like "The Adventures of Superman?" It's probably my favorite show of all time.

My brothers and I used to quote lines from the show at the drop of a hat. Any discussion of Chuck Connors is incomplete without mentioning his shining role as "Sylvester J. Superman" from Skunk Hollow who delivers a lemon meringue pie to Margie Holloway's boyfriend in Alaska only to have it stolen right from his hands by Leftover Louie Lyman (played by Ben Weldon). Of course everything's made right in the end — even Sylvester's mule gets a taste; "And you too, Lillibelle."

But that series has never been forgotten and was too popular to be included in this thread.

How about these:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.solie.org%2Falibrary%2FGETrue.gif&f=1&nofb=1 https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.T5YDUPG7pdKUtfkKeuUkvwHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.rJ6y21UgpqNYzkUYc3PndAHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1
snood

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:00 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

snood wrote:
Anyone remember Mr Terrific, and Captain Nice?

Both shows had mild-mannered guys who became a superhero after taking something- Mr Terrific took a pill; Captain Nice drank a potion.

I think both of those shows only lasted one season. I probably watched every single episode - I was (and kinda still am) a fan of superheros.

Whenever I heard “Faster than a speeding bullet...” I would come running.
farmerman

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:01 am
@snood,
Quote:
Captain Nice drank a potion.
reminds me of superchicken
0 Replies

snood

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:02 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I guess I didn't know he played basketball. He was good in some movies, such as The Big Country and Soylent Green.

Phil Hartman and SNL did a great takeoff on Soylent Green. “Soylent Green is PEE- PULL!! It’s PEEE-PUULLL!!!”
farmerman

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:24 am
@snood,
"Guestward Ho: J Carroll Naish plays a savvy larcenous Indian "Chieh" who sold cheap crap to tourists while a dude ranch, in a somewhat comensal relationship was trying to be authentic. Naish drove an overtricked Cadillac Convertible with fender horns and longhorn horns as a fake radiator cap.
I was about 10, and kinda city fied , but I laughed my ass off .

Naish also did a brief series "The NEW Asventures of Charlie Chan" in which he overplayed a character with constant use of dumass aphoristic similes about his "No.1 Sons

"No 1 Son as a detective, is like garden vegetable, Very Green" It was the only Charlie Chan I liked.

Naish also did many heavies on Tv where hed always sound like an O HENRY "ish" character
Brandon9000

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:55 am
@hightor,
I remember the Sylvester J. Superman episode very well. There was a moment when he watched Superman take off into the air and said something like, "That guy jumped into the air and just kept on going."
hightor

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 05:43 am
@Brandon9000,
I always thought that "The Jungle Devil" episode was one of the best. Hostile natives take the captured Clark to face the beast, which, as Superman, he has no trouble subduing (accompanied by great background music). The natives bring him back to camp in a sedan chair, cheering him as a "mighty warrior". Skeptical Lois wants to know how he accomplished this task. "Oh, that 'Jungle Devil' was just a harmless animal that escaped from a zoo. He didn't pose much of a problem." Later he takes a lump of coal and subtly transforms it into a diamond with his super strength then places it in the empty eye socket of the tribal idol — further endearing himself to the native population.

edgarblythe

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 07:08 am
I liked Peter Gunn. The music was often better than the story.
Brandon9000

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 07:40 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I always thought that "The Jungle Devil" episode was one of the best. Hostile natives take the captured Clark to face the beast, which, as Superman, he has no trouble subduing (accompanied by great background music). The natives bring him back to camp in a sedan chair, cheering him as a "mighty warrior". Skeptical Lois wants to know how he accomplished this task. "Oh, that 'Jungle Devil' was just a harmless animal that escaped from a zoo. He didn't pose much of a problem." Later he takes a lump of coal and subtly transforms it into a diamond with his super strength then places it in the empty eye socket of the tribal idol — further endearing himself to the native population.

Yes, that's a part of my private mental cosmos.

I like the episode in which a small time thief finds Clark's costume in his apartment and steals it, and the episode with the blind girl who wins a ride around the world with Superman makes me cry even now on the hundredth viewing. Also, I think the music in the show was very good and very dramatic.
hightor

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 08:08 am
@Brandon9000,
I don't want to get us both banned from this thread but..."The Dog Who Knew Superman" was another tearjerker. At the end Lois asks Clark, "What's the matter? You look like you lost your best friend." "Maybe I have, Lois, maybe I have."

I'm pretty sure that music I mentioned from "The Jungle Devil" is at 11'15" HERE.

hightor

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Frank Apisa

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 08:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"Guestward Ho: J Carroll Naish plays a savvy larcenous Indian "Chieh" who sold cheap crap to tourists while a dude ranch, in a somewhat comensal relationship was trying to be authentic. Naish drove an overtricked Cadillac Convertible with fender horns and longhorn horns as a fake radiator cap.
I was about 10, and kinda city fied , but I laughed my ass off .

Naish also did a brief series "The NEW Asventures of Charlie Chan" in which he overplayed a character with constant use of dumass aphoristic similes about his "No.1 Sons

"No 1 Son as a detective, is like garden vegetable, Very Green" It was the only Charlie Chan I liked.

Naish also did many heavies on Tv where hed always sound like an O HENRY "ish" character

Naish also had a role as Luigi...in Life with Luigi, which had a great run as a radio show, but bombed after just a few episodes on TV.

Another forgotten old show.
0 Replies