I'll just entertain myself

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 09:48 am
@edgarblythe,
The thing is you would have been alright with the Wests, they only targeted young girls, so they probably wouldn't have offered you a lift.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:19 am
@edgarblythe,
What it needs is a boxer in each corner, they do three rounds in pairs and a round of 'melee' with all three, three rounds of pairs and a final melee.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:20 am
@izzythepush,
I worried about some of the men. One pulled a knife on me to get me to agree to go with him to a motel. Of course at the motel I just walked back to the road and put out my thumb. With others present his knife was useless. Had a police officer prepared to beat my head with a Billy Club for walking away. I didn't know he was an off duty officer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That sounds like present day wrestling.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Got groped by a guy in a new Caddy 'in summer 71, he could have been someone's dad.

Cured me.

I will still on occasion pick a hitcher up. Ended up driving two I picked up to mental hospitals.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
People around here no longer hitch rides. I see them walking some long distances, but none looking for help.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 06:39 pm
Ever dealt with a pattern maker? I once shingled a house and a garage for one. This guy was brilliant. But - As I was preparing to lay the first course of shingles he told me from the ground, "I measured that part yesterday. One side is a quarter of an inch less than the other. I hope you can compensate for it." I assured him that it could be managed and he let me go ahead. If you gave him any object at all, however great or small, he could duplicate it in solid wood. This many years later his shop and home are no longer there. That was in the late 1980s.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 10:32 pm
I almost killed Two Feathers Crow last week. Today I put him safely in a bed surrounded by friends.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 02:30 am
@edgarblythe,
What happened to Two Feathers Crow?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 07:07 am
@glitterbag,
The Black Seminole soldiers shot him as he was crossing the Rio Grande.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 07:56 am
Alan Ansen - a remarkable and neglected figure (and a central one in the history of the Beat Generation). Today is the 100th year anniversary, the Centennial of the birth of this scholar and genius - The “most delicate hippopotamus of poets”, as Allen once lovingly described him

The Allen Ginsburg quote got me. Had to share.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 06:05 pm
Daughter and hubby are in Maui house hunting. They've been planning the move for several years, ever since they honeymooned there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 09:42 am
Just as I finished prepping to pick up street trash the rain came. At least Rocky had time to go out and pee first. I don't plan to get my feet wet by going after the beer bottles they chunk out there.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 09:46 am
Two characters in Leaving Texas were inspired by this verse, written by me several years ago.

Daisy Plumtree, Outlaw

Daisy Plumtree was a lusty one,
She loved an old buffalo gun.
She'd shoot her round,
Then stand her ground,
Where many men might run.
If her ways was rough and raw,
She learned it from her paw;
Who killed eight men,
Then made it ten,
Which set his fate with the law.
She was Daisy Missy Plumtree
Rough and ready
Rode the outlaw trail
To rob the outbound mail
Missy Daisy Daisy Plumtree
She went on the lam in Mexico
And fell in with Two Feathers Crow
She leaned her gun
In Crow's wigwam
Made from hides of buffalo
But the soldiers killed her man
He was crossing the Rio Grande
Daisy got hung
Before she swung
Said Daisy Crow is who I am
She was Daisy Missy Plumtree
Rough and ready
Rode the outlaw trail
To rob the outbound mail
Missy Daisy Daisy Plumtree
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 09:17 pm
The earliest Beatles records were of no interest to me in the beginning. I thought a few of their songs were nice. "And I Love Her" made me a fan. And I saw the Hard Day's Night film about the same time and thought it was great. Like many fans I believed they just kept getting better. But I honestly never cared for what they did in the "Get Back" era. Didn't like their last album. But I remain staunchly a fan nevertheless.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 12:15 pm
The Texas Quote of the Day:
"It has been estimated that, between 1867 and 1890, approximately 10,000,000 cattle went up the various trails. Each year there were from 150-200 herds of about 2500 head each. A herd required 12 men, at least six saddle horses for each man, and a mess wagon and team. The cattle traveled on an average of 15 or more miles per day, or 450-500 miles per month. Each year the cattle movement up the trail required an army of 2400 cowboys and 14,000 saddle horses. From first to last, between 45,000-50,000 cowboys using almost 300,000 saddle horses took part in the drives. The cost of operating a trail unit was about $500 a month. It cost the drover between fifty and sixty cents to transport a cow from Southern Texas to the Kansas railroad stations."
------ William Curry Holden, "Alkali Trails," 1930
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 12:22 pm
It blows my mind that there are adults who were born in the 21ST Century.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 03:47 pm
Of my several stories submitted to Vocal's anything goes fiction contest none made the short list. Oh well. Never going to quit writing as long as I have the urge.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 04:51 pm

Spotify chose Joe Rogan and is removing Neil Young's music.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 04:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
It is a lottery Ed...keep on writing!