I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 04:07 pm
When they cut down all the trees for the new daycare on the corner it drove all the wildlife in search of homes. It was my luck that rats discovered my home. I had a long running thread about my inability to rid myself of them. Sometimes you can get an unwary rat with a trap, but mostly they understand how those work as well as any human. It was hit and miss with getting them all. One day I thought about how the very first rats to show up got on top of the refrigerator and took down a box of Ritz crackers. Putting two and two together, I realized that they probably would rather break into a box of food than outsmart a trap. So I mixed up baking soda, oats and sugar - not certain if that's all of it now - and put it inside an empty cracker box. Which I set unassumingly in a spot rats are likely to frequent, but not Rocky. Shortly after that Rocky signalled there was a rat beneath the couch. I tilted the couch and the rat ran straight into Rocky's mouth. He ran with it out the doggy door. After a week or so there was an odor underneath the house that had me checking the box I'd set out. They had opened it and appeared to have been eating the contents. That has been about a month or so ago and we haven't seen any sign of more and Rocky hasn't warned of their activity. Here's hoping it's at an end.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:43 pm
I spent lots of time searching for online humor this week. Not too happy with what I found. Don't know if it's the pandemic, politics or what. Maybe it's just me being in the wrong places. Maybe I'm losing my own sense of humor. Just have to see what June brings, I guess.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 08:50 am
A person I followed and was friendly with for years, first on a2k and then on Facebook blocked me a week or so ago. Since I wasn't given a signal I can only guess why. My first guess would be because I voiced support for the Palestinians. Many can't separate being anti-apartheid from being antisemitic. Of course, many of my posts likely push buttons, so I could be guessing wrong. At any rate, I'm sorry if I did anything truly wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:22 am
@edgarblythe,
Many supporters of Israel bury their heads in the sand. They don’t want to know what Israel is getting up to.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:35 am
@izzythepush,
True. Not wishing to seem like the white racist saying, "I have a black friend," I won't say more at this time.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I try to keep it at arm’s length as much as possible, but it’s not easy.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 11:03 am
@izzythepush,
I have to do what's right, even though I hate losing people over belief systems. I have a cousin and an inlaw who also no longer like me due to the Trump sickness.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 11:14 am
I have long supported the Palestinian’s right to self determination, ever since I was a kid and saw Yasser Arafat being interviewed.

Israel does not get the same knee jerk reaction over here. During the British mandate Israeli terrorists blew up the King David Hotel, they also kidnapped, tortured and murdered British servicemen.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 11:20 am
@izzythepush,
I never figured why Israel could tolerate their own government, but then I can't figure why Americans support theirs.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 11:26 am
@edgarblythe,
We’ve got Boris Johnson.

I will never get over that. I remember long ago during Blair’s Premiership the Guardian ran a joke piece on him becoming Tory leader.

On youtube there’s a piece of video of two Spanish journalists collapsing into fits of giggles when they hear Johnson had been made foreign secretary.

And now we’re stuck with him, he’s bulletproof.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 12:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Somehow, in a pinch, the systems don't work. Condolences for your having Boris.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 12:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
His ex chief adviser Dominic Cummings has just testified he’s unfit to be pm. Like Hitler he likes chaos, so he looks like he is definitely in charge.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 12:11 pm
@izzythepush,
I have known your country is in trouble. I just have had ours coming down around me and haven't expended energy in that direction. Before Boris came to power I already knew him to be a bad egg.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 12:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
He was a regular guest on panel show Have I got News For You.

He came across as bumbling and affable.

People didn’t see him for what he was.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 01:44 pm
I don't recall ever reading anything good about him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 07:59 pm
Remember the good old days when the Joker was just a madcap run-of-the-mill gangster before the movies changed him?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
And then he moved to Mar a Lago and started to harangue wedding parties with his self pity, poor pitiful me horse pucky.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:54 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 12:11 pm
We've started preparing for this year's hurricane. When it rains frequently in a season it means the low pressure and whatever make us susceptible. We've had rain more days than not in recent times. This week's forecast calls for 50% and more chances of precipitation every day in the forecast range. Geeze crimaneeze.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 06:17 pm
I saw on Twitter this statement:
"I've never heard someone say "The Blacks" and not think they're racist"

I replied:
"When you are nearing 80, as I am, the labels have changed over the years. Sometimes rather slowly. Sometimes in the blink of an eye. I have always meant to be respectful even if I accidentally use words wrong."

Word wars can become as deadly as shooting wars.
0 Replies