I'll just entertain myself

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2022 11:28 pm
@BillW,
Morgan Freeman is truly great. I haven't heard of that, but if I run across it I will give it a try.
BillW

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2022 11:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope it sets my Year in perspective. Morgan never ceases to amaze me in his acting. You would love this for the character he plays - and the little girls do a wonderful job also. I rate it a 10+++
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 12:01 am
@BillW,
Thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 09:14 am
Record heat yesterday
Freezing feet today
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 09:46 am
I posted somewhere on a2k that Henry Kissinger is scheduled to be 100 on his May 27 birthday. I was off by a year. It's 99.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 11:26 am
Dr. Who.
First base.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 11:37 am
Vocal has a new Challenge contest with a $20,000 prize. Fiction short story, anything you care to write about. The main stipulation, it has to mention a barn owl in at least one sentence.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Dr. Who.
First base.

I don't give a damn!
Short stop.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 03:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
…and he’s had bypass surgery which has been decades ago that it was done. Must be great to have the best doctors in the world at your beck and call.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Dr. Who.
First base.

I thought I could trick Google Assistant. I asked, "Who's on first?" she answered, "Yes, he is."
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 04:29 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

…and he’s had bypass surgery which has been decades ago that it was done. Must be great to have the best doctors in the world at your beck and call.

Trump would be dead from Covid without those Doctors he abuses so often!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 09:48 am
Still waiting for the results of two Vocal contests I entered. Today I submitted my first entry in their new $20,000 Challenge. It seems simple enough. A short story that can be about almost anything, but must mention a barn owl in at least one sentence.
BillW

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 10:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Good luck!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 10:29 pm
@BillW,
I noted that several people already have stories posted. I vowed to not read any because of not wishing to be influenced. As I was scrolling away, something caught my eye about one of the submissions and I did a cursory peek. This person used her family's abandoned farm to hang her story on. I did the same thing and my story is still in the cue waiting to be displayed. Hope nobody thinks mine is a copycat. Not to despair. I am already formulating a second one that is guaranteed to be different.
BillW

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 10:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here is a picture of my families old farm house when it was looking good:
https://nebula.wsimg.com/0b5f604c58452304d2f0c93a6f6f2b34?AccessKeyId=8A1F324FACFC9D058C18&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Here's what it looks like in more recent times (if it is still even standing)
https://i2.wp.com/www.vanishingtexas.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Abandoned-Farm-House-Near-Eddy-Texas-1.jpg?resize=440%2C264&ssl=1
BillW

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 11:07 pm
@BillW,
https://www.vanishingtexas.net/wp-content/gallery/the-old-wheeler-house/Abandoned-Farm-House-East-of-Windom-Texas-4.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 11:46 pm
My farmhouse (in the story) is in a more advanced state of decay. The barn is flat on the ground.
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 01:38 am
@edgarblythe,
Way way back when I used to write mostly I did poetry but sometimes I had a go at poetic prose to describe a state of mind/being, this one came to my mind but I am afraid google translator has killed it...nonetheless I'll post here anyway Edgar.

Quote:
Atmospheres... (Coimbra Café Capri )

It was liquid and "plasmic" the soul of the morning to be guessed at the city and there was running in it, as if it were late in the hours, a wet wind in the shadows of people that were already emerging to punctuate the light... it was a dull breeze inside the grammar of those painful hours, calm still in the late sleep that in the twilight of dream and reality the memory of the soul had not yet forgotten, but in which the images, already carried, this arithmetical foreshadowing of rhythms and shapes in construction of another flat day.
The tram of yesteryear still sounded on the empty tracks of the road and the tower bells of the University in the distance, kept inviting as they used to...in a whim I decided to went to classes at a cafe next door and had my previous breakfast without books.

Yours sincerely>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

Post Scriptum: Took the liberty of editing some stuff so it makes some sort of sense in English.
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 02:06 am
@BillW,
I love those old American barns as they remind me of my youngest youth when I used to see cowboy movies and wanted be a hot shot in the playground...
Those images endure in my Americana memory and I am still very found of them. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures of your family farm house!

(I have a fling with state of decay photos, they remind me of the great silence just like the desert does.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 07:52 am
@Albuquerque,
Google translator was clumsy. Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies