I'll just entertain myself

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 11:17 am
While browsing YouTube I stumbled across this gem Razz

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 11:43 am
I've had a window into someone else's life which is a bit sad.

I do a lot of car boot sales, and a few weeks ago I picked up a packet of designer soaps for very little.

These soap are exquisite, but they're very tiny, each bar is enough for about 3-4 baths and that's about it.

They don't even look like soap, they look like cakes.

I managed to find a name so I googled them and found the Facebook page.

Very optimistic about the business, a page about cutting up the slabs and how beautiful it all looks.

It does, it's very beautiful and there has been an incredible amount of effort put in, but too much.

An icing bag had been used to 'ice' roses on top of the slabs, just like cakes.

That's the problem, cakes are displayed, wedding cakes and birthday cakes both have a ceremony attached to them, how they look is as important as how they taste.

That's not the case with soap, we put it in the bathroom and although we want it to look nice, we want it to look nice when it's being used.

All those icing rosettes disappear in the first use, and then it doesn't look much different from other soaps.

The last post was just before Mother's Day about special bars for mums, still very optimistic but the website has shut down.

There were no prices tobe seen but I suspect it was too expensive, the seven bars of soap all mushed together would make one standard bar and people probably felt ripped off, covid can't have helped either.

The soaps I have are the Christmas 2019 collection, and they are lovely just very small.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:10 pm
@jcboy,
Thanks. Imagine if Bob Dylan had a voice like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Some people I have been inside their bathrooms keep soap displays as decorations.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
They are exquisite, but the amount of time and effort to produce them must have been enormous.

I don't know what the real cost is, but they can't have been cheap.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:43 pm
I needed a monitor for my PC. There are always unused monitors sitting around because they outlast computers. But ours are old and mostly really small. My daughter had a TV she used for a monitor that she gave me on Thanksgiving Day. It works much better than what I had, with one odd little quirk. Each time it shuts down it comes back with random screen size. Half, three quarters, full. It's no real inconvenience, except on a site like Facebook. When in less than full-screen mode there it cuts off the information to the left of the news feed. At first I tried to make an adjustment to keep it stable but gave up.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 01:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Can't you pick up a second hand one somewhere?

I've had the same monitor for the last three computers.

As you know I spend a lot of time at car boots, but I'm always very dubious about buying anything electrical.

If it goes wrong or doesn't work you've no comeback at all. With a shop there's somewhere you can go back to.

I remember once some traders were selling jeans really cheaply. It wax only when I got them home I saw they still had the security tags on them, they'd been nicked.

Obviously they weren't going to be there the next week, so I made sure I cut the security tags off before putting them on.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 02:17 pm
I am doing much better with this one than with what I had. I'm in no hurry to find a better one.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
I have made soaps (olive oil, coconut, and other varieties) and they are fairly cheap to make, depending. One batch makes about 12 - 16 bars, and the decorating would be easy and fast - just like icing cupcakes. Total time to cook it - 45 min... once your soap has cured, you cut it and decorate - maybe 30 min. I costed it out and it was $2.75/bar and I sold them for $4.00 because, well, it's just soap. I did it to learn something new. Plus, they made great gifts.

I don't know anyone (female) who buys or uses or displays those fancy soaps. They were all the rage in my mother's day, much like the ballerina toilet roll cover, lol. Avon sold a lot of those. Probably made in China.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Obviously they weren't going to be there the next week, so I made sure I cut the security tags off before putting them on.

I almost spit my coffee out at that! What? You didn't walk around with the tag on? lol
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 02:37 pm
@Mame,
These were made in the UK. I saw the website. As you've pointed out, they're not that difficult to make and it's a saturated market.

At craft fairs and such these things sell upwards of £3 a bar, but I'm very mean I get mind from car boots and never pay more than 50p.

I'm a bit taken back when people sell luxury soaps at that price, but they do. Ordinary supermarket soap isn't that much cheaper and it's not like people don't need to wash.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 10:52 pm
When my big brother and I were pretty small, he pointed out a bird ahead. "That's a crane," he said. A few other times he did the same thing. And that is why I called herons and egrets cranes most of my life.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 07:04 am
10 years ago I bought Big Macs for the first and only time in my life. Razz
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 07:07 am
@Mame,
I could have been responsible and gone to the police station, but that was too much hassle, I'd sooner have thrown the jeans out than gone through all that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 07:27 am
@jcboy,
What, you don't like crap on a bun?
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 07:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Nope, nasty burgers Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 04:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
So far the local news has not reported a single response from Osteen or anybody connected with the church. The plumber who made the find said nobody at all has contacted him over it. I say, Holmes; you don't suppose -?
edgarblythe wrote:

Plumber discovers money, checks in wall of Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church years after $600K burglary

Houston's megachurch. I won't speculate.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/12/02/money-checks-found-in-wall-of-joel-osteens-lakewood-church-years-after-600k-burglary/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 09:11 am
He sits in your room, his tomb, with a fist full of tacks
Preoccupied with his vengeance
Cursing the dead that cannot set him back
You know that he has no intentions
Of looking your way, unless it's to say
That he needs you to test his inventions
Hey, crawl out your window
Come on, don't say it will ruin you
Come on, don't say he will haunt you
You can go back to him any time you want to
He looks so truthful, is this how he feels?
Trying to peel the moon and expose it
With his business-like anger and his bloodhounds that kneel
If he needs a third eye, he just grows it
He just needs you to talk or to hand him his chalk
Or pick it up after he throws it
Hey, crawl out your window
He looks so righteous while your face is so changed?
Are you frightened of the box you keep him in
While his genocide fools and his friends rearrange
Their religion of little tin women
To back up their views, but your face is so bruised
Come on out, the dark is beginning
Ah, come on, out your window
- Mr Zimmerman, Bob Dylan
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Plumber who discovered money in wall of Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church gets $20,000 reward

Police said the recovered checks appear to be connected to a March 2014 theft of $600,000 in cash and checks from a church safe.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/plumber-discovered-money-wall-joel-osteens-lakewood-church-gets-20000-rcna8010

But, it wasn't from the church, kind of. It was from Crime Stoppers.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 06:55 pm
@BillW,
I seen that. Nothing from Joel however.