I'll just entertain myself

roger

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2021 11:33 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I've never understood why this is on the grocery shelves. Somebody must buy them because they are still around.

Or, maybe they are still around because nobody ever bought them. Same facts, different interpretation.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 06:53 am
It's possibly like the fruitcake argument. I read constant putdowns of fruitcake, yet companies make their living selling them. If nobody likes them how is that possible?
Joeblow

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Jesus Edgar. I hate your neighbours.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
I have a vague memory of trying it as a kid. I think it might have been not bad, BUT I also think there is such a thing as good fruit cake, so make of that what you will
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 10:05 am
I eat a fruitcake from the Collin Street Bakery every Christmas. Very good.But don't get one from off the shelf in a store. They can sit there for a very long time. Best to order online. My son in law sent one off of the shelf from Reno and it was very very very old.
Mame

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 11:23 am
@edgarblythe,
I'd rather have plum pudding. I used to have a great recipe for it...dang, where'd I put that thing?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:00 pm
@Mame,
I am nearly 79 and have never tasted plum pudding. I like plums, so it likely is pretty good.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Have you had Christmas pudding?

It’s the same thing, and there’s no plums in it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:26 pm
@izzythepush,
No. My circles of people have never seriously done any puddings, except banana pudding, that I recall.
Mame

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's actually a cake with raisins, currants, etc., in it. It's firm, steamed, and then served with what they call a 'hard sauce'. I don't know why they call it a hard sauce - basically, it's a vanilla sauce poured over the cake.

So... basically the whole thing is a misnomer Smile
Joeblow

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:02 pm
@Mame,
Hard, because of the liquor. (My guess)

It 's yummy Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:05 pm
@Mame,
We don’t call it a hard sauce over here. We cover it in flaming brandy then serve it with custard.

We just get a little one, only two of us eat it.
Mame

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:14 pm
@izzythepush,
My husband won't eat it so I don't make it any more, but I love it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:37 pm
@Mame,
Could you have it at a restaurant if you get your other half to take you out in December?
Mame

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Honestly, I've never seen it on a menu here. I could make it and freeze it, I suppose. I have one of those food saver things. Or maybe serve it to guests. I should make it again. I'll send you some Smile
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 02:06 pm
@Mame,
All the supermarkets over here sell it throughout the Christmas period. There’s all sorts of variations and flavours too Heston Blumenthal normally does something a bit freaky.

Last year his had a whole orange in it.
Mame

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 03:19 pm
@izzythepush,
That would be fun to find an entire orange, lol. Nobody here has really heard of it, which is strange since a lot of us are Brits or of British ancestry. I couldn't find my recipe but I found one that looks very similar so I'm going to make it soon. I'm excited about it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 09:44 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

I've never understood why this is on the grocery shelves. Somebody must buy them because they are still around.

Or, maybe they are still around because nobody ever bought them. Same facts, different interpretation.

This is what I love about you Roger, you think of the obvious...which escapes me occasionally. Trees v forest stuff.
roger

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 09:55 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm pretty sure I was wrong. Just tossed that in for the fun of it. I will say that I've never bought a can of bread, though.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 10:17 pm
I ate a few bites of that bread maybe 45 to 50 years ago. It wasn't bad but not something I would like to eat much of.
0 Replies