If Disney produced a NEW ROGER RABBIT film, and they desexualized Jessica Rabbit ... ?

izzythepush

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 08:39 am
@jespah,
Two novels and a play, and the first draft for the first one was done by 2005.

Not the same league at all, I remain in awe of your output.
izzythepush

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 08:56 am
@jespah,
Mr Goldman has said he was at art school at the same time as the person who created Courage the Cowardly Dog.
Rebelofnj

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 09:52 am
@izzythepush,
Sometimes I wonder who was the most successful person of JG's 1990s graduating class from art school.

The school he attended is well respected and I am a fan of some of the artists and creators who graduated from there.
izzythepush

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 09:55 am
@Rebelofnj,
I don’t know much about it, but I quite enjoyed Courage.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 12:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Aw, thanks! I have writer pals who crank out 50k+ every month, and I really can't do that.
izzythepush

Wed 31 Mar, 2021 01:06 pm
@jespah,
Michael Moorcock is the classic example of a churned. When he was editing New Worlds magazine which was losing money hand over fist, he churned out some of his eternal champion series. Some of the books he wrote in three days.

I have a soft spot for Moorcock, coming at him via Hawkwind in my early teens. In fairness they’re not bad, but he does cheat. The eternal champion is a sword and sorcery constant warrior and he keeps getting reincarnated. Which is quite handy. As each reincarnation has its own set of books and unique sword and sorcery world. The reincarnations are Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose, ( and Jerry Cornelius, although he doesn’t appear with the rest.)

On a couple of occasions the reincarnations meet up to fight some cosmic foe. I first started reading the Elric books and came across a crossover for the first time when reading that. When I started reading the Corum books and came across the same scene it had been cut and pasted word for word. Ditto Hawkmoon and Erekose.

Considering how hard he was working and why he can be forgiven.

At the other end of the scale there’s Hubert Selby jr who spent years writing Last Exit to Brooklyn, although his output did pick up after that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 02:38 am
@Rebelofnj,
Considering I haven't been in art college in a little over 2 decades I don't know. I was not very close with a number of my colleagues. The one guy I thought was a friend whom I kept in touch with since I graduated wasn't really a friend, he was an acquaintance. He and my former animation thesis advisor and animation instructor were the only people I kept in touch with after graduation.

I haven't spoken to either in a long time; I stopped talking to them a couple of years ago. It was some time ago within the last two decades, I don't remember exactly when. I stopped talking to my former classmate because he thought I was trying to solicit health care supplements and he got annoyed. I did mention I was selling them to him but I was not trying to pressure him to buy any. My mother and I were involved in selling health care supplements at the time. My mother and I did try to encourage my former animation thesis advisor and animation instructor to get the products because his wife was sick but he wasn't interested.

I liked this man. He was kind of like a father figure to me. I don't even know if he still works at SVA.

The products worked - they helped me function better. It's too bad my mother stopped selling them.

I knew of ONE young lady who got a job working as a puppeteer for Sesame Street while I was still a student. I don't remember her name.

I knew one gal who produced underground furry art when I was in school with her; this was reflected in her animation work. I know she went on to do work on the kids' cartoon Kids Next Door for Cartoon Network.

Google or Bing Kim Arndt.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 03:11 am
@Rebelofnj,
Did you know Ray Billingsley, the man who created the Curtis comic strip is an SVA alumnus? Did I ever tell you I met him when I was a student when he was giving a lecture about his work at my school?

Did I tell you SVA recently interviewed him about his work? I received a notice in my email about this:

https://sva.edu/features/curtis-creator-and-sva-alumnus-ray-billingsley-on-his-career-his-influences-and-representation-in-comics

He has been successful, he has a fanbase of 43 million. He commented that no one ever gave him any merch deals or animation deals.

I am wondering what is stopping him from approaching BET about turning Curtis into a cartoon series. I asked him about this on Instagram. I pointed out to him on Instagram that Aaron McGruder - the man who created The Boondocks comic strip - had his strip turned into a cartoon series. Sony distributed the series.

Of course there are African Americans who work in animation and others who work in comics but there are African Americans out there who produce their OWN animated cartoons.
JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 03:30 am
@Rebelofnj,
I am curious. Are there any people from your college gradating class who went on to work in animation and/or comics? I know you didn't go to school for animation and/or comics, but do you know of any former high school classmates of yours who did?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 04:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

I thought the cartoon parrot mascot was an actual thing. Silly me.

If that was real, then that would have been one of the most racist things a candidate would have done.

But because the video is satire and self aware, it is funny.

I'm starting to think you didn't see the whole video before you posted it.

I saw the video. I am wondering, since when has a moose ever been associated with African American culture?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 05:45 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Did you know Ray Billingsley, the man who created the Curtis comic strip is an SVA alumnus? Did I ever tell you I met him when I was a student when he was giving a lecture about his work at my school?

Did I tell you SVA recently interviewed him about his work?

No, you never mentioned. But as I said before, I'm a fan of several creators who graduated from SVA (I tried not naming your school for your privacy, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore).

JGoldman10 wrote:

He commented that no one ever gave him any merch deals or animation deals.

I am wondering what is stopping him from approaching BET about turning Curtis into a cartoon series.

I'm going to guess these two points are related. It is likely that BET is not interested in producing an animated series, as they have never done so in their history. It also would not be a good fit, as Curtis is a family friendly comic strip and BET caters to an older audience.

JGoldman10 wrote:

Are there any people from your college gradating class who went on to work in animation and/or comics? I know you didn't go to school for animation and/or comics, but do you know of any former high school classmates of yours who did?

I have a friend who works for Disney. I prefer not to say what this person does.

JGoldman10 wrote:

I saw the video. I am wondering, since when has a moose ever been associated with African American culture?

The video is a joke. They picked the animals at random.
JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 06:08 am
@Rebelofnj,
Sigh. You already knew I went to SVA.

I have told others I went to SVA, that's not a big deal to me.

BET did produce two kids' shows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_BET#Children's_shows

However BET might not be a good fit for Billingsley. McGruder had issues with BET and there was feud going on between them.

According to https://boondocks.fandom.com/wiki/BET :

"Aaron McGruder, creator of The Boondocks comic strip and TV series, is a very vocal opponent of BET, which he blames for dumbing down black people and their pop culture."

I have watched programming on BET and I didn't like it.

BET had been targeted in The Boondocks series:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2008-jun-04-et-boondocks4-story.html

Rebelofnj

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 07:53 am
@JGoldman10,

That is why I specifically said "BET is not interested in producing an ANIMATED series, as they have never done so in their history."

Those two shows you mentioned were live action, and they were produced over 20 years ago. Their current programming has changed in that time.

JGoldman10 wrote:

However BET might not be a good fit for Billingsley. McGruder had issues with BET and there was feud going on between them.

I have watched programming on BET and I didn't like it.

If you dislike BET then why do you want a Curtis cartoon there?
JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:34 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

That is why I specifically said "BET is not interested in producing an ANIMATED series, as they have never done so in their history."

How do you know they aren't interested in producing any animated shows?

It is not necessary to shout.

Rebelofnj wrote:

If you dislike BET then why do you want a Curtis cartoon there?

I didn't say I didn't like ALL of BET's programming. I don't like a lot of the sitcoms and movies that are/were aired on BET. I don't keep up with all the shows and movies shown on BET.

I suggested to Billingsley to approach BET about turning his strip into a series because I erroneously thought BET was involved in producing and/or distributing The Boondocks.
izzythepush

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:39 am
@JGoldman10,
Doing anything special for Good Friday?

As an act of remembrance I intend to argue long and hard about a television channel.

It’s why Christ suffered for us after all.
JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
No. I have never celebrated, observed and/or participated in Good Friday and neither has my family. I went over to a local food pantry to pick up some free food and was annoyed to learn they were closed today because of the holiday.
izzythepush

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:44 am
@JGoldman10,
You’re the first “Christian “ I’ve met who doesn’t mark it in some way.
JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:51 am
@izzythepush,
Really? I assumed that was a Catholic thing.
JGoldman10

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
With all the stuff going on in my personal life that I still need to deal with I don't really have time to focus on any holidays.
izzythepush

Fri 2 Apr, 2021 09:55 am
@JGoldman10,
You don’t have five minutes to reflect on Christ’s suffering on the cross?
0 Replies