Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 11:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Is she flooded or on higher ground?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 04:07 pm
@blatham,
Reyn (short for Reynold) has been posting on facebook about the flood as it relates to his town, but has not stated any personal loss. I asked him this morning how it is affecting him but he has not responded. People who knew Reyn on a2k will recall he mostly posted odd news headlines everyday.
blatham

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 06:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks Edgar
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 12:19 am
Biden appears to be taking action that may soon see the Post Office get a new Postmaster. Great news.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 12:23 am
@edgarblythe,
That cheers me up, the mail has been so unreliable.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 12:58 am
@glitterbag,
Agree completely. They do their job the way it should be done just often enough we never know what to expect.

I received a prescription from VA well within their target. I also received my gas bill almost ten days after the normal date.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 01:02 am
@roger,
The utility bills are the ones that drive me nuts.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 01:36 am
@glitterbag,
Yeah. Do I get a late charge because of the post office. So far, not.

Okay, off topic, now. Decades ago, the Saturday Evening Post complained of having no good satire magazines. Mad Magazine then produced a cover that looked almost exactly like the Saturday Evening Post. A minor difference was in the title "Saturday Evening Pest", and the font was so perfect that many people misread it.

Okay, back to Monitoring Biden.

It's late. Sometimes I get this way. That's a sign it's bedtime.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 06:19 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

That cheers me up, the mail has been so unreliable.

Oh, has it ever been "unreliable" Glitterbag. It is amazing just how bad it has gotten under this clod Trump appointed...apparently for the expressed intent of screwing the service up.

Congress recently introduced a new bill called, " the Delivering Envelopes Judiciously On-time Year-round Act, or DEJOY Act."

The sooner they get that clown out of the office once held by Benjamin Franklin, the better for our country.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 09:27 am
If the Democrats don't get a voter's rights bill passed, one the SCOTUS will not squash, almost immediately, nothing else they do makes much difference. The mid terms are just about here.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FElJieEWYA4fKjP?format=png&name=small
hightor

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 09:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Kind of difficult to pass a bill if you can't muster a majority. Wouldn't this need 60 votes?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 11:14 am
@hightor,
Without votes you can't win elections.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 06:25 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The new proposal, which was unveiled late Thursday, would raise the amount of money that individuals can deduct from their federal income tax based on their state and local taxes. The amount would go from $10,000 to $80,000, a limit that would remain until 2030.

Zardoz provides some context for this proposed tax break and explains why it is not simply a giveaway to the rich:

Quote:
The republicans wanted to punish the blue states that charge high property taxes by taking away the tax break for state and local taxes. The idea was if the democrats lost the tax break for their homes, they would vote republican for lower taxes. Odd logic since republicans were responsible for raising their taxes in the first place. Many in the middle class saw their income tax go up by thousands in these high property tax states. Now the democrats want to restore the tax break and there is some infighting.

I watched a program on ID that showed a home that cost a half a million in New York, around here that home would not have sold for a $100,000, it belonged to a stock trader on the floor of the New York stock exchange. The property taxes in New York would have far exceeded the $10,000 deduction limit. The guy ended up robbing banks after he lost his job to keep his house.

It is one thing to tax income but property taxes tax the same income forever. When I was young, I looked forward to paying the house off but after I paid it off, I found I was paying more in property tax. It was like I did not own it and instead of paying the bank I now had to pay the county. If I don’t pay the property tax the government takes the house and auctions off to get their taxes. Property tax is an archaic tax and should be replaced with an income tax. You should only have to pay taxes on your income once, not 70 times on income you earned 50 years ago an invested in property. That is what property tax does it taxes the income you made 50 years ago over and over again. You never truly own anything. After I pay taxes once they should never be able to tax that same dollar again.

Property tax is one of the taxes that allows the government to take your home if you don’t pay the tax. You may owe only a few hundred dollars on a million-dollar farm and the government can take property that has been in your family for a hundred years. In California as property taxes continued to escalate the older home owners could not afford to pay the property and lost the homes that they worked all their lives for. Retired people income is based on what they earned during their life time but taxes continue to go up because the younger generation wants bigger and newer schools. California decided to give seniors a senior discount so some of them might be able to stay in their home. Most states have now followed California’s lead.

Most families invest about 30% of their after-tax yearly income in their home. The income going into the home has already been taxed once but it will continue to be taxed for the next 60 plus years every year and if you are a few months late you will lose your home. The American dreams is to own your own home but it looks as you are just leasing your home from the government. Each year the county auctions the property of those who can no longer afford to pay the property tax, there has to be a better way. Income should only be taxed once not 60 times.

source
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 05:28 am
There hasn’t been a new post in a couple days now. Is something up with A2K, or is it just the holidays?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 05:34 am
@snood,

there have been plenty of new posts.

sounds like it could be a browser issue at your end?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 05:36 am
@snood,
If you're just talking about this thread I think it's a welcome sign. The local trolls have been absent, there are other active threads about current issues, and basically, Biden's not making stupid tweets all night and trying his best to divide the country.
snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 05:59 am
@hightor,
Good news
snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 06:01 am
@snood,
Would you give me a couple of links to active current issue threads?
hightor

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 06:17 am
@snood,
https://able2know.org/topic/563539-1#post-7177067

https://able2know.org/topic/563250-1#post-7175026

https://able2know.org/topic/562966-1

https://able2know.org/topic/563437-1#post-7176466

There's also an inordinately high number of Jesus threads at the moment.
snood

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 06:33 am
@hightor,
I appreciate it
0 Replies