Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 10:53 am
@revelette3,
I had always found her to be an excellent singer after she performed a duet with Tony Bennett and her performance in "A Star Is Born".

lmur

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 10:56 am
@izzythepush,
Good speech. Four minutes to go!
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:36 am
@Rebelofnj,
I confess, I never heard her sing. But today I turned my tv up to the max (unlike the last inauguration where I had it on mute)so I could hear it. Drowned out my house. But she was good. Loved Garth Brookes, always loved him. The whole ceremony was good and I thought more effective without the usual crowd.

The little girl (didn't catch her name) was just awesome with her poetry.
maporsche

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:39 am
In the spirt of Joe Biden's excellent speech, I will refrain from charged language and attempt to heal the divide in our nation.

Today begins a new era in Washington, and I could not be happier.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:04 pm
@oralloy,
Small victories, right Ollie.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
I was listening to a story about the "honeymoon period" whose premise was basically that this is a myth. Once you could see the President live on TV, the honeymoon was over. Biden might get one just given how worn out everyone is but I'm sure right wing news will be pretty aggressive and Biden has a thin skin. It will be nice to see press conferences where people actually tell something like the truth.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It’s a pity Trump can’t take Johnson with him.

You’ve got rid of incompetent bad hair fascist, we’re still stuck with ours and the utter pig’s ear he’s made of Brexit.

You guys can get rid of a leader on any single day you want to with a vote of no confidence! I would say I wish we had that ability but would fear we would be having elections every other month. Of course, we would also have to shorten our election cycle.

Oops, it is almost time for us to start another one😅
BillW

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:56 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

The little girl (didn't catch her name) was just awesome with her poetry.

Here's Amanda Gorman's poem in full:
Quote:

When day comes, we ask ourselves, where can we find light in this never-ending shade?

The loss we carry. A sea we must wade.

We braved the belly of the beast.

We’ve learned that quiet isn't always peace, and the norms and notions of what “just” is isn't always justice.

And yet the dawn is ours before we knew it.

Somehow we do it.

Somehow we weathered and witnessed a nation that isn't broken, but simply unfinished.

We, the successors of a country and a time where a skinny black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single mother can dream of becoming president, only to find herself reciting for one.

And, yes, we are far from polished, far from pristine, but that doesn't mean we are striving to form a union that is perfect.

We are striving to forge our union with purpose.

To compose a country committed to all cultures, colors, characters, and conditions of man.

And so we lift our gaze, not to what stands between us, but what stands before us.

We close the divide because we know to put our future first, we must first put our differences aside.

We lay down our arms so we can reach out our arms to one another.

We seek harm to none and harmony for all.

Let the globe, if nothing else, say this is true.

That even as we grieved, we grew.

That even as we hurt, we hoped.

That even as we tired, we tried.

That we'll forever be tied together, victorious.

Not because we will never again know defeat, but because we will never again sow division.

Scripture tells us to envision that everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid.

If we're to live up to our own time, then victory won't lie in the blade, but in all the bridges we've made.

That is the promise to glade, the hill we climb, if only we dare.

It's because being American is more than a pride we inherit.

It's the past we step into and how we repair it.

We've seen a force that would shatter our nation, rather than share it.

Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy.

And this effort very nearly succeeded.

But while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated.

In this truth, in this faith we trust, for while we have our eyes on the future, history has its eyes on us.

This is the era of just redemption.

We feared at its inception.

We did not feel prepared to be the heirs of such a terrifying hour.

But within it we found the power to author a new chapter, to offer hope and laughter to ourselves.

So, while once we asked, how could we possibly prevail over catastrophe, now we assert, how could catastrophe possibly prevail over us?

We will not march back to what was, but move to what shall be: a country that is bruised but whole, benevolent but bold, fierce and free.

We will not be turned around or interrupted by intimidation because we know our inaction and inertia will be the inheritance of the next generation, become the future.

Our blunders become their burdens.

But one thing is certain.

If we merge mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy and change our children's birthright.

So let us leave behind a country better than the one we were left.

Every breath from my bronze-pounded chest, we will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one.

We will rise from the golden hills of the West.

We will rise from the windswept Northeast where our forefathers first realized revolution.

We will rise from the lake-rimmed cities of the Midwestern states.

We will rise from the sun-baked South.

We will rebuild, reconcile, and recover.

And every known nook of our nation and every corner called our country, our people diverse and beautiful, will emerge battered and beautiful.

When day comes, we step out of the shade of flame and unafraid.

The new dawn balloons as we free it.

For there is always light, if only we're brave enough to see it.

If only we're brave enough to be it.

If you wish to see it again:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/amanda-gorman-biden-inauguration-poem
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 01:42 pm
@BillW,
It doesn’t work with a parliamentary majority. Pelosi hasn’t been kicked out either.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 01:42 pm
From the report ‘A Total Failure’: The Proud Boys Now Mock Trump

Quote:
On Wednesday, the Proud Boys Telegram group welcomed President Biden to office. “At least the incoming administration is honest about their intentions,” the group wrote.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 03:45 pm
Quote:
Not a single person here can point to an impeachable offense from Trump.

Not one.

There's still another impeachable offense that hasn't been dealt with and that's when Trump tried to pressure the election officials in Georgia to 'find fraud'.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 04:47 pm

Biden set to rejoin Paris climate accord,
impose curbs on U.S. oil industry

(reuters)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 04:58 pm
Allowed myself to go on and feel a little giddy all day.

Something feels put back in its proper place.

Time enough in the months to come to air my fears about Biden being a bit naive about what these republicans are actually willing to do.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:04 pm
@snood,
We’re all just breathing a sigh of relief that the machine gun has been taken away from the gorilla.

That’s enough for now.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:12 pm

besides the overwhelming sense of relief, i'm also impressed that the new administration has rolled up its sleeves
and is going right to work on opening day.

it certainly speaks to the urgency to quickly start to fix what's broken...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:14 pm
https://cdn.creators.com/209/294927/294927_image.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://cdn.creators.com/209/295062/295062_image.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://cdn.creators.com/209/294402/294402_image.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:14 pm
@izzythepush,
"Sigh of relief" just about covers it. Crossed fingers covers the rest of it.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:44 pm
Heartwarming note left for #46 by #45.
https://twitter.com/JasonHazeley/status/1351894475430383619?s=20
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 05:44 pm

Stocks Close On Record Highs After Biden Inauguration
(npr)
0 Replies