Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:31 am
@goldberg,
a government of "far-left liberals" is precisely what the country needs after trump's four years of wild=eyed right wing wingnuts, white supremacists, qanon conspiracy theorists, and gun.-menacing militias, and pandemic denialists, and climate change denialists. biden brings some sanity back to government. go joe.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:36 am
@oralloy,
MORE EXECUTIVE ORDERS, JOE. YOU'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. CANCEL ALL OF TRUMP'S EXECUTIVE ORDERS. WIPE HIS MALIGN LEGACY OUT OF EXISTENCE, AS HE TRIED TO WIPE OUT OBAMA'S WISE E.O'S. OH, AND TELL BRANCO TO GO **** HIMSELKF.
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:40 am
@MontereyJack,
There was nothing wise about Mr. Obama violating people's civil liberties for fun. Congress was right to reverse his executive order. And now there is nothing that Mr. Biden can do about it.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:42 am
@oralloy,
OBAMA WISE. TRUMP AN EVIL MALIGN FOOL. BIDEN WISE TOO.
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:47 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong again. There is nothing wise about trying to violate people's civil liberties for fun.

And now Mr. Biden has a Four Pinocchio award to match the one given to Mr. Obama.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:54 am
@oralloy,
I don't see any pinocchios, let alone four. fantasizing again, oralloy?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/09/fact-checking-bidens-remarks-guns/
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:57 am
@MontereyJack,
Progressives and schizophrenics are the ones who live in a fantasy world. And schizophrenics have a good excuse.

Four Pinocchios:
https://able2know.org/topic/559258-1
https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/QV3BGZUD6FDBFNBZU7K2IY63XU.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 08:07 am
@oralloy,
your alleged cite is behind a pay wall. mine uis not, and the text does not justify any such rating. bogosity as usual, o.
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 08:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Progressives always deny reality. Reality exists anyway.

Four Pinocchios, just like Barack Obama:
https://able2know.org/topic/559258-1
https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/QV3BGZUD6FDBFNBZU7K2IY63XU.jpg
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 08:46 am
@MontereyJack,
And to think, the former guy never got any Pinocchios!
hightor

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 08:51 am
The Bishops Are Wrong About Biden — and Abortion

Quote:
What is the worst crime a society can commit? Some people (I among them) would say the Holocaust, the cold methodical murder of six million people just for being Jews.

But some Catholics and evangelicals say they know of an even greater crime — the deliberate killing of untold millions of unborn babies by abortion. They have determined that a fetus is a person and abortion is therefore murder. This is a crime of such magnitude that some Catholic bishops are trying to deny the reception of Holy Communion by the president of the United States for not working to prevent it.

No one told Dante that this was the worst crime, or he would have put abortionists, not Judas, in the deepest frozen depths of his Inferno. But in fact he does not put abortionists anywhere in the eight fiery tiers above the deepest one of his Hell.

This is not a singular omission. No one told “Matthew” or “Mark” or “Luke” or “John” or Paul, or any other New Testament author, that he should condemn this sin of all sins. Nor did any author of the Old Testament raise this alarm, with the result that we do not have Moses or Jesus on record as opposing abortion. Nor did any of the major definitive creeds.

Even major figures of religious history do not tell us that the fetus is a person. St. Augustine says he searched Scripture trying but failing to find out when in the procreative process personal life begins. But St. Thomas Aquinas knew. Aristotle told him — that it came at or near childbirth, after an earlier stage of having a nutritive soul (like plant life), which developed into an animal soul, at last receiving a rational soul. Thomas kept Aristotle’s biology, just adding that God himself infuses the soul into the body at some unspecified time during the last stage of this process. In other words, the fetus in its long pre-rational life is not a human being.

In 1930, Pope Pius XI, in his encyclical Casti Connubii, forbade all ways to prevent procreation, lumping them together with the condemnation of Onan, who prevents his widowed sister-in-law from childbirth by coitus interruptus. But the Vatican was embarrassed by scholars who noted that what was attacked there was a violation of the duty of Levirate marriage, to continue his brother’s line. The Vatican has never again tried to connect abortion with Scripture. The best comment on the pope’s disastrous “church teaching” came via Alexander Woollcott, who said of Dorothy Parker: “Of her birds, I remember only an untidy canary whom she named Onan for reasons which will not escape those who know their Scriptures.”

The religious opponents of abortion think that the human person actually antedates the Aristotelian scheme, dating it from “conception” (when the semen fertilizes the ovum). But the Catholic theologian Bernard Häring points out that at least half of the fertilized eggs fail to achieve “nidation” — adherence to the uterus — making nature and nature’s God guilty of a greater “holocaust” of unborn babies than abortion accounts for, if the fertilized ovum is a “baby.”

The opponents of abortion who call themselves “pro-life” make any form of human life, even pre-nidation ova, sacred. But my clipped fingernails or trimmed hairs are human life. They are not canine hair. The cult of the fetus goes even farther down the path of nonsense. This cult, which began as far back as the 1950s, led to debate over whether, in a pregnancy crisis, the life of the fetus should be preferred to that of the mother.

In her brilliant book “Policing the Womb,” Michele Goodwin records how state legislatures are now inventing a new crime, “feticide.” Does a pregnant woman’s smoking or drinking endanger the fetus in her? Haul her into court and convict her of attempted feticide. Bring doctors in to testify against her.

This new cult of the fetus was not observed in the long history of the bishops’ own church. When my wife and I were in England in the 1960s, her doctor there said she was at severe risk of a miscarriage and consigned her to immobility in bed. I did not know what my Catholic Church prescribed about treatment of a miscarried baby, if that should occur. I went to John Henry Newman’s Oratory fathers, where I had been attending Mass, and asked what I should do in that event. They looked puzzled and said the hospital should handle that.

I found, in later questions, that the church did not prescribe or recommend baptizing a miscarriage as if it were a full human being, nor giving it last rites, nor burying it in consecrated ground. My Catholic grandmother, Rose Collins, had three or four miscarriages, but told me she did not worry about how the discharges were disposed of — she had four living children to care for.

The Catholic Church no longer claims that opposition to abortion is scriptural. It is not a religious issue. It is called a matter of natural law, which should be discernible by natural reason. Yet as the Catholic judge John T. Noonan said, the most recognized experts on natural law, in universities, human rights organizations, medical and psychological bodies, do not generally oppose abortion. Nor, according to polls, do a majority of American citizens, even Catholic citizens. Some women of my own extended family have had abortions and still consider themselves Catholics. President Biden seems to be on their side, as is Pope Francis. This, of course, does not affect the American bishops. They hate this pope and this president anyway.

nyt/wills
blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 10:09 am
@hightor,
Odd. I also posted that brilliant Wills piece here but it seems to be gone now. Doesn't matter so long as folks get directed to it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 10:39 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
And to think, the former guy never got any Pinocchios!

When Mr. Trump was accused of lying it was often the case that he was telling the truth and his accusers were lying.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 10:56 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

When Mr. Trump was accused of lying it was often the case that he was telling the truth and his accusers were lying

WOW talk about a wicked dissociative disorder, maybe Ollie went through a windshield that left him like this
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 10:58 am
@farmerman,
See what I mean? Progressives always insist that the truth is a lie.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 11:01 am
@oralloy,
and dissociative disorders promote **** like you display.
Did you ever go through a windshield?
RABEL222

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 11:13 am
@farmerman,
That would answer a bunch of questions I have about Ollie.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 11:14 am
@farmerman,
Have I mentioned that one of the reasons why progressives are so lame is because they never say anything intelligent and they always rely on childish name-calling?
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 11:18 am
@oralloy,
apparently youve also got a short term memory issue as ell.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 11:46 am
@oralloy,
yes you have and it was just as nonsensical then as now.