Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 04:22 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong. You call it nonsense because you are incapable of comprehending it. Your limitations are no reflection on what I write.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 04:25 am
@hightor,
scientificamerican wrote:
Let us imagine the "perfect" EV: solar powered, efficient, reliable and affordable. But is it sustainable? EVs powered by renewable energy may help reduce the carbon footprint of transport. Yet, the measure of sustainability is not merely the carbon footprint but the material footprint: the aggregate quantity of biomass, metal ores, construction minerals and fossil fuels used during production and consumption of a product. The approximate metric tonne weight of an EV constitutes materials such as metals (including rare earths), plastics, glass and rubber. Therefore, a global spike in the demand for EVs would drive an increased demand for each of these materials.

Who says electric cars are the future? Gasoline works just fine. Perhaps hybrid engines fueled by Canadian tar sands are the future of automobile transportation.

The engine efficiency of airplanes has improved little for decades since they have long been operating close to their theoretical peak efficiency.

That's funny. I recall jet engine efficiency continuing to increase in recent years.

The problems that Boeing has had with their latest generation of 737s has been the result of their difficulties in fitting larger and more efficient engines under the planes' wings.

The awesome exponential increase in computing power of the past five decades will end by about 2025 since it is physically impossible to make the transistors on the computer chip, already roughly 5 percent of the size of the coronavirus, much smaller.

Actually Moore's Law came to a screeching halt a few years ago. We should have moved on to 10nm CPUs in 2018. We should be moving on to 7nm CPUs right now. But instead we're still treading water at the 14nm process.

Intel will probably soon get over the difficulties they are having making high powered CPUs at 10nm. And they'll probably succeed in moving on to 7nm at some point as well. But the period of exponential growth has already ended.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 04:45 am

Biden orders airstrikes against facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups
(cnn)
goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 04:55 am
AOC dismisses concern over crime spikes in major cities as 'hysteria'
New York City's overall shooting incidents and murders have risen 53% and 13% year-to-date, respectively, according to NYPD data
By Lucas Manfredi

"Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D, N.Y., has expressed concern that recent headlines referring to spikes in crime across U.S. cities are stirring up "hysteria."

"We are seeing these headlines about percentage increases," Ocasio-Cortez said during a conversation with New York Rep. Jamaal Bowman over Zoom. "Now, I want to say that any amount of harm is unacceptable and too much, but I also want to make sure that this hysteria, you know, that this doesn’t drive a hysteria and that we look at these numbers in context so that we can make responsible decisions about what to allocate in that context."

Ocasio-Cortez argued earlier in June that authorities should stop building prisons and instead focus on underlying public health issues, adding it is "not acceptable" to use jails as "garbage bins."

"If we want to reduce violent crime, if we want to reduce the number of people in our jails, the answer is to stop building more of them," Ocasio-Cortez said. "The answer is to make sure that we actually build more hospitals, we pay organizers, we get people mental health care and overall health care, employment, etc. It’s to support communities, not throw them away."

Ocasio-Cortez, Bowman, and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer have called on Congress to earmark $400,000 toward a program called "Stand Up To Violence," which seeks to address gun violence through counseling and community outreach.

Journalist Glenn Greenwald slammed Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday, claiming she is "mocking ordinary people as 'hysterical' who are afraid of violent crime in their neighborhood" while voting last month to "ensure $2 billion more in spending on the police that protects her."

He also shared a tweet from Ocasio-Cortez in which she blasted Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and other Republicans."

Glenn Greenwald used to write for The Guardian. He left The Guardian after The Guardian became a tabloid in the words of Russian Toady, which is another tabloid bent on talking piffle.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:01 am
I spent several minutes watching CNN just now. Since when did CNN become a British channel? A female anchor was talking with a guest with a British accent. Then another guy speaking British English showed up. I even thought I was watching BBC if not Sky News. In addition, CNN's most ads feature black people.

Black CNN?
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:06 am
How many British news anchors have been hired by CNN? I also find that MSNBC has a female anchor speaking with a British accent, although she was born in America according to her profile.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:11 am
@goldberg,
probably just as many as theyve hired from Australian an SE Asia an even Japan.
orta like Fox , CNN only displays the most "cymlic" of women before cameras
goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:12 am
Mark Levin reportedly spoke out against BLM, calling Black Lives Matter founders Marxists.
hightor

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:19 am
@goldberg,
Marxists probably have names for people like Mark Levin as well. So what?
snood

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:20 am
@MontereyJack,
👍🏾
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:21 am
@farmerman,
Oh. Thanks for the tip. I dig the voice of the former CBS's news anchor Dan Rather. He is a respectable journalist just like NBC's Tom Brokaw and ABC's Peter Jennings. It's so sad that Peter Jennings left this world. CBS's Scott Pelley also sounds like a professional news anchor.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:21 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Biden orders airstrikes

Creepy Joe can't even remember his wife's name.

You think he's up for being a sabre rattler?

He couldn't tell you what he had for breakfast this morning.
goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:22 am
@hightor,
Mark Levin has written several critically acclaimed books. What about you?
goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:27 am
Fox News has more hotties than CNN and MSNBC。 One of the black news anchors working at MSNBC looks like KK. I know it sounds like an insult for me to use this to describe her looks. Yet she truly looks like KK.

I'm referring to Joy Reid .Hallie Jackson is not bad. She sounds and looks like a professional news anchor, not that Joy Reid.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:43 am
@Region Philbis,
https://comicallyincorrect.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/07-drone-attack-dt-1080-1050x750.jpg
goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 05:53 am
@Builder,
Biden did the right thing by bombing Iran's proxies. Iran is making a big push into Iraq's politics, which is also ruled by clerics. It also sends military aid to Hezbollah and Hamas. President Trump, Bill Clinton and Obama would have done the same thing.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 06:04 am
@Builder,
Well, I think that Kamala Harris wants to replace Biden and preside over a new government that consists of far-left liberals. Biden will be in a sorry state if he decides not to do anything about it. It also means you are right about his age.
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 06:08 am
Joe Biden just got Four Pinocchios from the Washington Post for lying about the Second Amendment.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
hightor

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:03 am
@goldberg,
Quote:
Mark Levin has written several critically acclaimed books.

So what? That doesn't mean he's above criticism.
Quote:
What about you?

Who cares?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 07:27 am
It's been too long since I've seen anything by Catholic scholar Garry Wills

Quote:
The Bishops Are Wrong About Biden — and Abortion

What is the worst crime a society can commit? Some people (I among them) would say the Holocaust, the cold methodical murder of six million people just for being Jews.

But some Catholics and evangelicals say they know of an even greater crime — the deliberate killing of untold millions of unborn babies by abortion. They have determined that a fetus is a person and abortion is therefore murder. This is a crime of such magnitude that some Catholic bishops are trying to deny the reception of Holy Communion by the president of the United States for not working to prevent it.

No one told Dante that this was the worst crime, or he would have put abortionists, not Judas, in the deepest frozen depths of his Inferno. But in fact he does not put abortionists anywhere in the eight fiery tiers above the deepest one of his Hell.

This is not a singular omission. No one told “Matthew” or “Mark” or “Luke” or “John” or Paul, or any other New Testament author, that he should condemn this sin of all sins. Nor did any author of the Old Testament raise this alarm, with the result that we do not have Moses or Jesus on record as opposing abortion. Nor did any of the major definitive creeds.

Even major figures of religious history do not tell us that the fetus is a person. St. Augustine says he searched Scripture trying but failing to find out when in the procreative process personal life begins. But St. Thomas Aquinas knew. Aristotle told him — that it came at or near childbirth, after an earlier stage of having a nutritive soul (like plant life), which developed into an animal soul, at last receiving a rational soul. Thomas kept Aristotle’s biology, just adding that God himself infuses the soul into the body at some unspecified time during the last stage of this process. In other words, the fetus in its long pre-rational life is not a human being.

In 1930, Pope Pius XI, in his encyclical Casti Connubii, forbade all ways to prevent procreation, lumping them together with the condemnation of Onan, who prevents his widowed sister-in-law from childbirth by coitus interruptus. But the Vatican was embarrassed by scholars who noted that what was attacked there was a violation of the duty of Levirate marriage, to continue his brother’s line. The Vatican has never again tried to connect abortion with Scripture. The best comment on the pope’s disastrous “church teaching” came via Alexander Woollcott, who said of Dorothy Parker: “Of her birds, I remember only an untidy canary whom she named Onan for reasons which will not escape those who know their Scriptures.”

The religious opponents of abortion think that the human person actually antedates the Aristotelian scheme, dating it from “conception” (when the semen fertilizes the ovum). But the Catholic theologian Bernard Häring points out that at least half of the fertilized eggs fail to achieve “nidation” — adherence to the uterus — making nature and nature’s God guilty of a greater “holocaust” of unborn babies than abortion accounts for, if the fertilized ovum is a “baby.”

The opponents of abortion who call themselves “pro-life” make any form of human life, even pre-nidation ova, sacred. But my clipped fingernails or trimmed hairs are human life. They are not canine hair. The cult of the fetus goes even farther down the path of nonsense. This cult, which began as far back as the 1950s, led to debate over whether, in a pregnancy crisis, the life of the fetus should be preferred to that of the mother.

In her brilliant book “Policing the Womb,” Michele Goodwin records how state legislatures are now inventing a new crime, “feticide.” Does a pregnant woman’s smoking or drinking endanger the fetus in her? Haul her into court and convict her of attempted feticide. Bring doctors in to testify against her.

This new cult of the fetus was not observed in the long history of the bishops’ own church. When my wife and I were in England in the 1960s, her doctor there said she was at severe risk of a miscarriage and consigned her to immobility in bed. I did not know what my Catholic Church prescribed about treatment of a miscarried baby, if that should occur. I went to John Henry Newman’s Oratory fathers, where I had been attending Mass, and asked what I should do in that event. They looked puzzled and said the hospital should handle that.

I found, in later questions, that the church did not prescribe or recommend baptizing a miscarriage as if it were a full human being, nor giving it last rites, nor burying it in consecrated ground. My Catholic grandmother, Rose Collins, had three or four miscarriages, but told me she did not worry about how the discharges were disposed of — she had four living children to care for.

The Catholic Church no longer claims that opposition to abortion is scriptural. It is not a religious issue. It is called a matter of natural law, which should be discernible by natural reason. Yet as the Catholic judge John T. Noonan said, the most recognized experts on natural law, in universities, human rights organizations, medical and psychological bodies, do not generally oppose abortion. Nor, according to polls, do a majority of American citizens, even Catholic citizens. Some women of my own extended family have had abortions and still consider themselves Catholics. President Biden seems to be on their side, as is Pope Francis. This, of course, does not affect the American bishops. They hate this pope and this president anyway.
0 Replies