Poll: Trump got banned from Twitter for inciting violence. Do you care?

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 10:28 pm
Hi. I learned recently Trump got suspended from Twitter for inciting violence. He prodded a mob of his supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol in protest of Trump losing the 2020 election:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-suspends-donald-trumps-account-234321450.html

I'm not judging. I think Trump was CRAZY to do that. No ex-president in American history, as far as I know, ever pulled a stunt like that, just because they lost a presidential election.

I think instead of spending all that time he spent of Twitter he should have taken his job a LOT more seriously. A handful of other U.S. presidents have used Twitter and other social media sites, I presume, before Trump came along, but they weren't obsessed with it.

I never heard of Bill Clinton, G.W. Bush, Obama, or ANY former U.S. president making headline news because of something they did on Twitter and/or on other social media sites.

When Trump came to the realization that there was no voter fraud after a thorough investigation, and then PUBLICLY ADMITTING that he lost to Biden, that SHOULD have been the end of the drama.

I hope Trump learned something from this.

Michelle Obama posted a statement asking social media companies to permanently ban Trump from their platforms.

She wrote that we don't need "technology from being used by the nation’s leaders to fuel insurrection.”

Who knows what else could have escaladed if Twitter didn't ban Trump, or if Parler wasn't dropped from Google Play.

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 4,670 • Replies: 80

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 11:06 pm
I'm not surprised Trump got banned from Twitter. Trump has gotten a lot of backlash from a lot of tweets he posted over the past 4 years. It was only a matter of time before Trump did something really outlandish, and before Twitter finally caught up to him.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 11:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
....When Trump came to the realization that there was no voter fraud....

Please provide a citation to support your contention that Trump believes there was no fraud in the election. I have heard him say the exact opposite, including recently. For example, on 1/6, he said:

"We had an election that was stolen from us"

https://www.usnews.com/news/elections/articles/2021-01-06/trump-calls-election-fraudulent-tells-supporters-to-go-home
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 11:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
Trump says random idiotic things all the time. I suspect he knows they are not true.

He claimed that there were more votes than voters in Pennsylvania. Everyone knows this isn't true.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 11:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
I have mixed feelings about this actually.

One the one hand, I am generally strongly in favor of free speech. I understand that Twitter is a private site, but still I think that an important platform should give a lot of latitude.

On the other hand Trump's tweets were incendiary, and it is not that much of a stretch to say that Trump was inciting violence that was causing real harm.

If there is a case where censorship is desirable, this is it.

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 11:37 pm
@maxdancona,
PS, I heard that , after all this shitstorm, Mexico has changed its mind and will pay for the wall. Good news is Canada wants one too.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 11:40 pm
@maxdancona,
The only people claiming Trump was censored were his family and supporters.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 12:08 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this actually.

One the one hand, I am generally strongly in favor of free speech. I understand that Twitter is a private site, but still I think that an important platform should give a lot of latitude.

On the other hand Trump's tweets were incendiary, and it is not that much of a stretch to say that Trump was inciting violence that was causing real harm.

If there is a case where censorship is desirable, this is it.

Who are you talking to? That's off topic. I asked for evidence that Trump concluded there was no election fraud.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 12:51 am
@Brandon9000,
One of us is confused about the topic of this thread.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 03:29 am

https://iili.io/KsTCEg.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 03:37 am

https://iili.io/KsuASj.jpg
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 04:16 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Brian Tyler Cohen
@briantylercohen
The following accounts have all either had tweets deleted or been suspended outright after Trump tried tweeting from them:

@realDonaldTrump

@POTUS

@thedonalddotwin

@garycoby

@TeamTrump

He doesn't seem to be taking the news especially well.
10:12 PM · Jan 8, 2021·Twitter Web App
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 04:40 am
@hightor,
he can use the Postal Service to post his tweets, I hear he's recently "streamlined" its services just in time to aid the election.

Im sure the POTUS gets unlimited franking privileges
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 09:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
One of us is confused about the topic of this thread.

The opening post said:

"When Trump came to the realization that there was no voter fraud..."

My post questioned that statement.

You then countered my post with a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with anything I said in the post. It was off the topic of my post.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 10:01 am
@Brandon9000,
So you fixated on four words and think they are the topic of the thread?

Read the Title. The thread and the OP are about Trump being banned from Twitter.
revelette3

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 10:14 am
Quote:
Twitter’s extraordinary action against President Trump Friday night was driven both by the deadly rampage of his supporters in Washington and what the company said was a looming “secondary attack” on the U.S. Capitol and state government facilities next weekend — a finding that tracks with the open threats of violence independent researchers have also found across the Web.

Calls for widespread protests on the days leading up to the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden have been rampant online for weeks. These demonstrations are scheduled to culminate with what organizers have dubbed a “Million Militia March” on January 20 itself, as Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala D. Harris are to be sworn in on the same Capitol grounds that rioters overran on Wednesday.

As with the online chatter ahead of that assault on the Capitol, these calls to action have bristled with violent talk and vows to bring guns to Washington in defiance of the city’s strict weapons laws. Twitter cited some of these posts in its announcement Friday night stripping Trump of his account and preventing him from creating new ones in the future. Some event listings are openly discussing delivering “justice” for Ashli Babbitt, a rioter and Air Force veteran who was fatally shot by police inside the Capitol Wednesday.

“Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021,” Twitter’s announcement said Friday night, noting two recent Trump tweets it said were “likely to inspire others to replicate the violent acts that took place on January 6, 2021.”

Twitter bans Trump’s account, citing risk of further violence
Citing the potential for Trump’s words to incite others — even in the absence of clear references to violence — took Twitter’s enforcement actions to a restrictive new level, as commentators noted Friday night. But the fear that Trump’s social media postings were fueling violent action appears to be well founded by what researchers have detailed in their monitoring of far-right conversation online.

A detailed new analysis of such posts, by Alethea Group, an organization combating disinformation that draws its name from the Greek word for “truth,” found abundant evidence of threatening plans on a range of platforms large and small. The aggressive and often hateful chatter has appeared on both mainstream sites such as Twitter and Facebook and niche, conservative sites such as TheDonald.win and Parler.

“REFUSE TO BE SILENCED,” said one online post cited by Alethea Group, calling for an “ARMED MARCH ON CAPITOL HILL & ALL STATE CAPITOLS” for January 17, the last Sunday of Trump’s polarizing presidency. Another post calling for action at “DC & All State Capitols” and signed by “common folk who are tired of being tread upon” declares: “We were warned!”
“So much of the conversation right now is the general making of threats,” said Cindy Otis, vice president for analysis at Alethea. “There’s a risk of these particular dates leading to violence because that the kind of amped-up conversation we’re already seeing from people.”

Representatives for Parler did not respond Saturday morning to requests for comment. An unnamed moderator for TheDonald wrote an accusatory email in response to a request for comment that used an obscenity to describe Washington Post reporters but did not respond to the substance of the query.

The Alethea report lists events planned for Jan. 17, as well as the day before the inauguration and on Inauguration Day itself. The specified locations include the U.S. Capitol and National Mall in Washington, the Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City, and locations in Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio. Some events, including an “Armed March on All State Capitals,” include localized events in all 50 states.

Police let most Capitol rioters walk away. But cellphone data and videos could now lead to more arrests.
A post about the event in Pittsburgh included pictures of stockpiles of ammunition, the Alethea report said. An online militia forum called for recruits in Kentucky because “diplomatic efforts have been exhausted.”

“A popular guerilla [sic] onslaught is a nightmare for them,” said the anonymous writer of one post on the encrypted messaging service Telegram about the scattered militia events. “Is the military going to deploy in mass everywhere? They can’t.”

The report, while culled from public posts, also notes a shift toward communicating in closed, private groups on encrypted platforms such as Signal, suggesting there is significantly more organizing happening beyond the view of independent researchers and, likely, to authorities as well.

WP

Twitter actions makes perfect sense. I understand the concern about freedom of speech but that doesn't mean private companies are duty bound to allow people they deem to dangerous to use their platform to foment terror as Trump does either unknowingly or knowingly.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

So you fixated on four words and think they are the topic of the thread?

Read the Title. The thread and the OP are about Trump being banned from Twitter.

There is nothing unusual about challenging a false statement within a post. The OP said that Trump acknowledged that there was no fraud in the election, and it's false. Trump has said the exact opposite recently. Your response to my post had nothing to do with anything my post actually said.
oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 12:24 pm
The government should break up Twitter and Facebook and Google.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 12:27 pm
@Brandon9000,
I am not getting into the middle of anything, but, I think the author of this thread had a confusing formatting issue with his beginning post. I don't think the article said Trump admitted to losing, but I think that was the author's words. Could be wrong though.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 02:25 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
I am not getting into the middle of anything, but, I think the author of this thread had a confusing formatting issue with his beginning post. I don't think the article said Trump admitted to losing, but I think that was the author's words. Could be wrong though.

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you.
0 Replies