Poll: Trump got banned from Twitter for inciting violence. Do you care?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:31 am
@maxdancona,
No you didn’t I am being consistent, consistently dealing with real world examples.

Give examples if you have any.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:32 am
When we ban Trumpism from the social internet, we are setting a dangerous precedent. The techniques used to cleanse Trumpism from the internet are no different than the techniques that would cleans transgendered rights from the internet.

The people in power right now are supportive of transgendered rights (or at least don't think that they should be censored). And you might hope that it will always be that way.

But it is just a hope. You are giving a relatively small group of people the power to cleanse the internet of an political belief... and hoping that this small group of people will always agree with you.
revelette3

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:33 am
@maxdancona,

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:34 am
@maxdancona,
It’s not being banned. Private enterprise is acting as it always has. Stop whining.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It’s not being banned. Private enterprise is acting as it always has. Stop whining.

If Twitter was doing the same thing to stamp out transgender rights you would be quite upset. My point is that there should be logical consistency.

You are not upset because this time you disagree with the ideas that are being censored. Next time you might not be so lucky.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I believe your argument is valid.

The questions to be addressed in court are whether Trump's speech was directly responsible for the violence the happened at the capitol. And, whether Trump either intended, or should have predicted that his words would lead to this violence.

If it is shown in court that Trump intended the violence, then I think he should be found guilty of incitement. If it is shown that he couldn't have predicted the violence, then he should be found not guilty. It is the in-between cases that aren't clear.

Disagree totally. He never asked anybody to commit any violence. No one should be able to go into court with the argument, "But even though he didn't say it, we figure he meant...." The First Amendment is very clear. I do not wish to live into a time in which people in the United States are found guilty of a crime for political speech.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:44 am
@maxdancona,
The rights of individuals to go about their lives without harassment. Is the polar opposite of allowing people to spread hate, violence and lies.

It’s interesting that despite all your hypothetical posturing you’re unable to give one concrete example of someone on the left espousing policies similar to Oralloy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:50 am
Ironically

Izzy is from a country that actually bans political parties. Maybe he and Oralloy have some common ground there.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:51 am
@maxdancona,
Again you shy away from specifics, why is that?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:59 am
@izzythepush,
I am arguing a principle. I am not arguing specifics... although there are plenty of specific historical examples of businesses stifle ideas civil rights. That is not the point.

The point is giving a small group of people the power to stifle ideas is a dangerous precedent. Right now it is being used to stifle Trumpism. In the future it may be used to stifle an idea that you agree with. The method being used to stifle Trumpism can be used to stifle anything.

I think this is a dangerous precedent, unless you believe that a small group of people in power can always be trusted to do "the right thing(tm)".
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
You are scared of specifics, so much for your ******* principles, they clearly don’t apply in the real world, just your theoretical one.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:11 am
@izzythepush,
You are asking for "specifics" about how in the past controversial ideas like LGBT rights were stifled in public communication by the people in power using control over private media companies?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:13 am
@maxdancona,
Now we’re talking about historical grievances, what next, King John?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Sadly, your little insurrection failed.

Don't be silly. A peaceful protest against progressive tyranny is not an insurrection.

maxdancona wrote:
If you shoot at Democracy, you best not miss Wink

Progressives are the only ones who are shooting at democracy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That’s why people call you a Nazi because you are advocating Nazi practices.

Godwin's Law. Izzythepush loses yet another debate with me.

izzythepush wrote:
Godwin himself said his law does not apply when talking to actual Nazis like you.

Godwin's Law again. Izzythepush has achieved the embarrassing milestone of losing two debates with me in a single post.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Not if they’re espousing Nazi ideology and Oralloy is.

Godwin's Law. That's three debates that izzythepush has lost with me in the space of two posts.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:37 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
8.  Godwin's Law, I won the debate
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2021 08:26 pm
Where there any African Americans at the Capitol riots? I am just curious. I am not being racist. I sure didn't see any or ANY people of color in any pics I saw.

I read about one Black lady's sister who got killed by a cop at the riots. I think she was killed for speaking out against the riots, or something along these lines, if I am not mistaken.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2021 08:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Were there any African Americans at the Capitol riots? I am just curious. I am not being racist. I sure didn't see any or ANY people of color in any pics I saw.

I read about one Black lady's sister who got killed by a cop at the riots. I think she was killed for speaking out against the riots, or something along these lines, if I am not mistaken.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 08:39 am
To avoid any possible misinformation on the 5 people who died in the Capitol riots, here is some info from the NY Times:

*Brian Sicknick - joined the Capitol Police force in 2008. He died the day after he was overpowered and beaten by rioters from the mob at the Capitol. Law enforcement officials said he had been “physically engaging with protesters” and was struck in the head with a fire extinguisher.
“He returned to his division office and collapsed,” the Capitol Police said in a statement. “He was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.”

*Ashli Babbitt - an Air Force veteran from Southern California, was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer as she clambered through a broken window leading to the Speaker’s Lobby inside the Capitol.
In her social-media feeds, Ms. Babbitt had celebrated Mr. Trump and QAnon conspiracy theories, and her shooting instantly made her a martyr for far-right activists and Trump loyalists.

*Kevin D. Greeson - was standing in a throng of fellow Trump loyalists on the west side of the Capitol when he suffered a heart attack and fell to the sidewalk. He was talking on the phone with his wife at the time.
NBC News reported that Mr. Greeson appeared to have made several combative posts on Parler, a social-media haven for Trump supporters. An account featuring his name and picture urged the violent, far-right Proud Boys group to give “hell” to antifa, a loose confederation of far-left activists. A post in December urged direct action, NBC reported: “Load your guns and take to the streets!”

*Rosanne Boyland - How she died remained unclear on Monday. Family members and friends said they had heard from a friend who was with her that Ms. Boyland had been trampled inside the Capitol during clashes between rioters and the police. But a sister told the A.P. that she had been told by a police detective that Ms. Boyland had collapsed while standing in the Capitol Rotunda.
She posted fervently in support of President Trump on social media, followed the baseless conspiracy theories of QAnon and latched onto Mr. Trump’s false claims that he had won the election, family members told The Associated Press.

*Benjamin Philips - the founder of a pro-Trump website called Trumparoo, was chipper as he drove a van of fellow Trump supporters from their home state of Pennsylvania to Washington. He told The Philadelphia Inquirer that it felt like “the first day of the rest of our lives.”
Mr. Philips died of a stroke in Washington, those who accompanied him to the Capitol told the newspaper. The exact circumstances of his death were still unclear, and his family could not be reached for comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/us/capitol-riot-victims.html
0 Replies