Washington D.C. and wars...

Fri 29 May, 2020 11:00 am
The wars promoted by Washington D.C. (Vietnam, Syria, Iraq, etc.) killed millions of civilians (women, children, etc.).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 7,162 • Replies: 102
Topic Closed

Frank Apisa

Fri 29 May, 2020 11:32 am
@amletusvirgilianus,
amletusvirgilianus wrote:

The wars promoted by Washington D.C. (Vietnam, Syria, Iraq, etc.) killed millions of civilians (women, children, etc.).

The wars NOT promoted by Washington also killed millions of civilians.

That's the way it goes with wars.

Now we humans have gotten better at killing...so the number of civilians killed gets higher. If we really put our minds to it, I guess humans could end up killing all other humans...military and civilian.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 29 May, 2020 04:06 pm
@amletusvirgilianus,
Frank's right, if you got a point get to it.
tsarstepan

Sat 30 May, 2020 08:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank's right, if you got a point get to it.

Does JTT ever have a point?
AS you can see, I'm calling it. The OP is JTT's latest account.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 30 May, 2020 09:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Now that you mention it ......
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:25 pm
Zinns, is that you?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Was that JTT??? When did get out of the Joint?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Now we humans have gotten better at killing...so the number of civilians killed gets higher. If we really put our minds to it, I guess humans could end up killing all other humans...military and civilian.

I am not so sure this is true.

The Three Kingdom war (China year 186 CE) killed tens of millions. As did the Mongol Conquests (1206 CE) and the Conquest of the Aztecs.

I suspect the percentage of humanity being killed by war right now is historically low.
coldjoint

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The Three Kingdom war (China year 186 CE) killed tens of millions. As did the Mongol Conquests (1206 CE) and the Conquest of the Aztecs.

Don't leave Islam out. Their massacre of the Hindus, Buddhists, Africans and Christians and Jews. And to Islam, it is war.
maxdancona

Sat 30 May, 2020 11:18 pm
@coldjoint,
Christians have committed at least as many acts of brutality than any other group.

And least Muslims don't make idiotic posts in a pink font.
coldjoint

Sun 31 May, 2020 12:40 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
And least Muslims don't make idiotic posts in a pink font.

Are you sure, the post was no more idiotic than yours. It is history. It should not be forgotten or rewritten.

Also Christians do not kill with their religions blessing.
glitterbag

Sun 31 May, 2020 02:35 am
@coldjoint,
Max is right, Muslims don't make idiotic posts in a pink font.

And you're wrong about Christians "Also Christians do kill with the Church's religions blessing." Have you never heard about the Crusades or the Spanish Inquisition? How about the Catholics, Anglicans and Lutherans hunting down heretics and burning them at the stake?
Setanta

Sun 31 May, 2020 06:23 am
@amletusvirgilianus,
The United States is not responsible for the revolution in Syria. Russia is at least as culpable by virtue of their meddling as is the United States. There is no doubt about American involvement in Iraq, which, fortunately, Mr. Obama ended. Bush's nasty little war there was badly mismanaged and certainly did cost the lives of tens of thousands of civilians, but not millions. In Vietnam, it is difficult to separate civilian deaths from military deaths, and to place blame for those deaths. In total, the high end estimate for all deaths, civilian and military is about two and a half million. Assigning blame for these tragedies is problematic, and that is because people are eager to blame someone, and eager for a simple explanation for what are actually complex events.

Perhaps millions of aboriginal Americans died because of European colonization, but certainly not as a result of direct, intentional butchery. Disease was very likely the cause of most deaths. Additionally, it is another complex set of events in which only the simple-minded, or fanatics, will assign blame. When Cortéx invaded what we mow call Mexico, it was absurd to assume that he could have conquered that highly developed civilization with the somewhat more than 400 men he took inland. After the march to Tenochtitlan, during which Cortés picked up thousands of aboriginal allies, he was able to add, perhaps, one thousand more Spaniards. It was the thousands of aboriginal allies who made the conquest of the city possible, and even then, it took almost two years. (For a short summary see Historia verdadera de la conquista de la Nueva España, The True History of the Conquest of New Spain by Bernal Diaz, the only eye-witness account. For a more thorough treatment, including accounts by aboriginal people, see The History of the Conquest of Mexico, in three volumes, William Prescott, Boston, 1843. Yes, I've read both, in English, of course.)

After the cordial reception of the handful of French who arrived in what is now Canada under the leadership of Champlain, the Ottawa solicited his aid against their traditional enemies, the Iroquois. The Iroquois plundered the lands of the Algonquian peoples almost every year, and when their war party was routed by the Frenchmen with their firearms, they were incensed. They began a 150 year campaign to extirpate the French. That included two invasions of Canada, the second lasting for almost two years. Unable to root out what was really an absurdly small French colony, the Iroquois decided to attack them economically--they decided to exterminate the tribes of the Great Lakes region, and thereby cut off the supply of furs and beaver pelts to the French. That went on for generations. As late as the 1680s, the Iroquois invaded the territory of and attempted to exterminate the Illiniwek, the people the French called the Illinois. They killed far more aboriginal people than the French and the English combined. (For the madness of those times in Canada, see France and England in North America, in seven volumes, 1865-92, Boston, Francis Parkman. Parkman was a bigot with no respect for the aboriginal peoples--but his scholarship was beyond reproach.
As with any such work, it needs to be reviewed wth several grains of salt.)

The tale of European colonization in Africa is one of even greater slaughter and horror. Assigning blame is idiotic, and always a product of the prejudices of the one who attempts to do so.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 31 May, 2020 06:40 am
@glitterbag,
Or "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 31 May, 2020 01:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Max is right, Muslims don't make idiotic posts in a pink font.

Max is wrong. My posts concerning Islam are not idiotic. They are fact based, and it is the idiots are reading them and saying that.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 31 May, 2020 02:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Hey! Lutherans hung a few, but we didn't burn any! More Lutherans got burnt than were burning!!!!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 31 May, 2020 02:18 pm
@coldjoint,
You're right, they're beyond idiotic in dead into hate speech. Its racist.
coldjoint

Sun 31 May, 2020 02:33 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You're right, they're beyond idiotic in dead into hate speech. Its racist.

First of all Islam is not a race. Second there is no hate speech in my posts but the direct quotes of the Koran and Hadith. Those are the hate speech and it comes from Islam not me.

Of course you will never produce anything to prove what you say. But give it a try. Post one quote from me that was hate speech. Should I wait?
0 Replies

chrisgriffin42975

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 03:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
wrong less die in wars now carpet bombing land mines mostly dont get used we are better at killing but we are better at targeting also we can destroy a trash can from 50000 feet with 1 bomb and not lay waste to entire blocks so there are less.

but what would you expect 9-11 instead. i read your post you seem to be against the U.S at every turn you look for the bad see none of the good.

tsarstepan

Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:58 pm
@chrisgriffin42975,
chrisgriffin42975 wrote:

wrong less die in wars now carpet bombing land mines mostly dont get used we are better at killing but we are better at targeting also we can destroy a trash can from 50000 feet with 1 bomb and not lay waste to entire blocks so there are less.

but what would you expect 9-11 instead. i read your post you seem to be against the U.S at every turn you look for the bad see none of the good.

Your stream of consciousness poetry ... well... no beating around the bush...

... sucks. And with your lack of capitalization and poor punctuation, do you really think people will mistake you for e e cummings?
0 Replies