A Parlour for a Plague

roger

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 06:51 pm
@Borat Sister,
Hey! You are doing phenomenally well, even if it doesn't feel like it. Without looking it up, I will bet my thinly populated county in New Mexico has more new cases than that.
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 01:43 am
@roger,
We were at zero for quite a long time.

This is a small cluster but there has been a phenomenal amount of exposure involved...every patient in an ER where an undiagnosed patient sat for many hours.

Her family are massive and extremely socially active! They have been to numerous public places....the spread from this cluster could be ginormous

We aren’t battling political madness by those in charge as many of you are, but we are back to nearly lock down....which I support if we are to contain this.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 02:06 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Without looking it up, I will bet my thinly populated county in New Mexico has more new cases than that.
That's about the number in our town (70,000 inhabitants), although our district (300,000 inhabitants) is the least affected in the state.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 02:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I stop at a red light even in the middle of the night and when no other car is to be seen.
That might be a kind of stupidity.

AMEN. The Amih dont war masks until they are required to go into a building with "MAsks Required" signs. Iwas talking to my Amish Nighbor and asked him whether he worw seat belts when he was in a car?

Yeh but thats different?
"Why" , I asked.

W had a long conversation and the outcome was that his wife now MAKES masks and all the family wears em. It wasnt me it was an overwhelming ubiquity of them and how knowledge is finally accepted and how its disseminated.

Very few people got it early when we saw how S Korea ad Japan were actually controlling the spread.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 04:54 am
@Borat Sister,
I really feel for you. You were doing so well over there for such a long time and this just shows how fragile that can be. Hopefully they'll be able to contain it and you wont end up with the restrictions we had here.
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 06:46 am
@cherrie,
Yes....I think anyone vaguely sensible knew it would happen again here.

Restrictions have happened fast again, which is good.

Looks like it began with a worker in a quarantine hotel though. We all know how that worked out for Victoria
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 10:09 am
@Borat Sister,
Oh man. Horrible to think one person in a ER can have that effect

Just goes to show, it only takes one.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 11:09 am
@chai2,
My friend is scoail worker in an intensive residential group for people with challenging behaviour and other impairments.
When those persons go over the weekend to their parents, then they want to "offer them something".
One or more of them has been infected = now more than half of the residents in this house-group are positive (but are relatively relaxed about it due to their disabilities), of the eight carers in this group four are positive .... and eight (also from other groups) as well as the team and house managers are in house quarantine.

Just goes to show, it only takes one, as chai said.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 08:42 pm
Whelp, as of the sixteenth, New Mexico is back in lockdown (more or less) again. Restaurants are closed to everything, even outside dining, though who would want to in the winter. Actually, this makes more sense to me than an arbitrary closing time.

Anyhow, I want you to know: ROGER IS FIGHTING BACK! Today, I bought a coffee maker. Tomorrow, I'll try to figure out how to use it.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 08:58 pm
@roger,
You should have water, ground coffee and possibly electricity. There may be a back, side or front or top button to start it up.

...or do what I did with my first VCR. Look at the diagrams, not the writing.

Being apparently psychic, I purchased a percolator 2 years ago... it's electric.

Outside dining here...for now, involves weird heaters and tent like structures which are half in the roadbed. Some have been tossed around in gusty winds, a few have been hit by vehicles during the night after closing....which is now 10 p.m.

Numbers still inching up.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 09:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Do both you guys go out for coffee every day?

yeesh.

I decided to treat myself to a couple new yoga mats.
I like to lay 2 out side by side because I roll around a lot.

So was looking for ones online where any pattern would line up. I just leave them out all the time, so it would look something like a rug. In any event, Otis likes to sleep on them, so....

I was looking at this website called society6. Looks like you can put any artists work on any of the items they sell.

I was SO excited!
Look what I found!

https://plk.s6img.com/society6/img/cYJh16rcjp6obEuFpB1aOLh4Q8M/w_700/yoga-mat/24x70/open/~artwork,fw_3768,fh_10650,fx_9,iw_3750,ih_10650/s6-original-art-uploads/society6/uploads/misc/b04e65c307464b71b32005de4d680cf6/~~/shinning-hotel-carpet-yoga-mat.jpg?wait=0&attempt=0

IT'S THE SCARY CARPET FROM THE SHINING!!!!!

Oh HELL yes.

Now I just have to get a Big Wheel to park next to it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RaggedMiserlyFrigatebird-small.gif
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 09:40 pm
@chai2,
I haven't bought outside coffee several years. I had a drip coffee maker for a while, then another. Then went to instant for a time. Quit coffee for a year or two, then back to instant. Finally decided I would return to better coffee and got my percolator.

Oh...oh forgot, bought 3 or 4 coffee drinks from a store which was delivering during the Covid-19 days of summer. Espresso, chocolate and banana. Also some sort of panini sandwich each time.
Knew the fat and calories plus sugar was not a good idea that much. So it ended and I returned to regular black coffee each day.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 10:04 pm
@Sturgis,
Really! I wonder why a room is bad and a tent is good.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 10:15 pm
@roger,
The tent is a little airier...and colder...
I think part of it might have been to find a way to help businesses stay open. At The time of the tent uprisings, restaurants were limited to a a small number of patrons. It comes down to the social distancing. Many restaurants are small so it was like maybe 6 or so customers at a time.
First the streets were made into outdoor dining, then cooling temp and the tent idea.

(I'm not going anywhere inside those. Wait for a full opening again). Until then, occasionally order 2 or 3 meals. Grub hub delivers right outside the door, they leave, I retrieve. Eat one meal, refrigerate the other/s for the next days. Helps keep a business running and I go high on the tipping so the delivery person gets some money too.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 10:40 pm
@Sturgis,
I pick food up almost daily at Denny's - so not real pricey. I also tip as normal even though they can't do refills on the coffee. But really, their coffee is priced to include several refills, hence the still unpackaged coffee maker.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 11:10 pm
@roger,
Well done Roger!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 11:11 pm
@chai2,
Shocked
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 11:16 pm
Well, as expected, we’re in hard lockdown from midnight

Can’t go outside to exercise!

Makes sense as a general rule, but where I live I can go kilometres without having to get close to anyone....but, of course, I’ll support the rules.

Six days at this point, to be reviewed when we see if we can control the cluster

Panic buying everywhere! We are allowed one shopping trip by one person per household once a day...so the panic buying is balmy.

cherrie

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 12:23 am
@Borat Sister,
I'm a bit surprised about the no exercise rule. Even during the toughest restrictions in Melbourne people were allowed to go out for an hour a day for exercise.

Have masks become mandatory? I haven't been able to find much about that.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 12:40 am
@Borat Sister,
Looks like lockdown means much more there than in New Mexico, USA. There are places we can't go, but it's not interfering with driving, walking, or most shopping. Mostly, if a business is open, that seems to mean we can go there.