A Parlour for a Plague

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 08:49 pm
@chai2,
Idiots.

We still have people stuck overseas who got stuck at the beginning. I’m not quite sure why.
chai2

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2021 05:09 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Idiots.

We still have people stuck overseas who got stuck at the beginning. I’m not quite sure why.

Damn straight. Idiots.

The day I made that last post? I had just gotten home, and had been listening to NPR.
They were talking to, and about, people working at minimum wage.

People trying to get by on pennies, having to take 2 and 3 low paying jobs, working 12 and 15 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week.

They asked one woman, who god bless her was in her 60's, when was the last time she had a vacation. She thought and said "I think about 2 years ago....oh wait. That was when I had to go into the hospital."

That made my blood boil. The thinking about how some people think they are entitled to spend a few thousand because "they deserve" it, when honestly? Most of the population doesn't even Have that kind of money to spend at any time.

I really do equate it to AIDS in the 1980's and I guess 90's. When you had to list everyone you had sex with if you got AIDS, and the branches and crossovers were so thick and overrun, no wonder it was out of control.

The very thought of someone I had even the briefest of contact with if I got COVID died, would change my life. The idea I spread it because I felt entitled and deserving to "get away" for a week or two....I really can't wrap my mind around.

Anyone who's gotten COVID has spread it to someone, and have no idea to whom. It's not too dramatic to say that anyone who has had COVID has been the cause of someone elses death.

Anyway. I got my first vaccine yesterday. Now, 15 hours later, I still have no noticeable side effects. I hear I'll probably get them with the 2nd shot, in a month.
The process was amazingly efficient.
My appt was at 3pm. I arrived maybe 10 minutes before. I had to wait around afterwards for 30 minutes rather than 15, because I'm allergic to some medication. Cheating death, I left after 25 min. Very Happy
So I got there at 2:50, and even with the 25 minute wait afterwards, when I left I looked at my phone, and it was 3:38. Total of 48 minutes.
hightor

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2021 08:03 am
@chai2,
Quote:
The process was amazingly efficient.

I was struck by this as well.

And by something else — there was an atmosphere of kindness and concern; people were patient and grateful. The palpable feeling of social harmony seemed almost un-American.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2021 10:16 pm
@hightor,
Almost unAmerican? Really? How does it normally feel?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2021 10:34 pm
@Borat Sister,
We haven't been very polite or courteous toward each other for the last 12 years.
Borat Sister

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2021 12:46 am
@glitterbag,
My experience in the US has been almost almost all of courtesy and kindness.

Maybe you’re nicer to furriners?
roger

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2021 01:19 am
@Borat Sister,
Might be. Then again, you just might be new enough to be impressed and influenced. Crazy Americans have had their minds made up decades.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 09:34 pm
After 87 days of no community transmissions in Victoria we're suddenly back into it again. The day before yesterday we had 4 cases, up to 9 yesterday and today we have 14.

Masks have been made compulsory in Melbourne again and limits on gatherings have come back into force.

So far all the cases have been in Melbourne so at this stage regional Victoria is unaffected.
cherrie

Reply Wed 26 May, 2021 06:23 pm
@cherrie,
Up to 26 cases now and the whole state will be going into lockdown later today.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 27 May, 2021 05:12 am
Thank goodness for governor DeSantis.

How weird, Florida, land of the free, home of the brave.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2021 04:21 am
@cherrie,
Very sad to hear this Cherrie. You guys have really had a bad time. We are waiting here to see if there’s any roll on.

Had my first covid jab on Tuesday.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2021 04:22 am
@Leadfoot,
Have you been in lockdown?
cherrie

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2021 07:27 am
@Borat Sister,
We're up to about 60 cases now. The lockdown has just been extended for another week in Melbourne but rules are easing in regional Victoria.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 05:13 am
@Borat Sister,
With a few exceptions It was a matter of choice here.
In the first few months the authorities took it so seriously that the police issued fines to people in cars at the beach watching the sun set. The public backlash was so thunderous that they backed off enforcing any kind of lockdown. Our Governor was not pro lockdown either. I ignored the whole thing myself.

0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2021 12:27 am
And half of Oz in lockdown again….NSW almost out of control, Victoria clamping down on a big cluster…
My state, South Australia, on first day of a lockdown to see if we can get on top of a small cluster…although the news that someone was loose in a very large and popular shopping centre for a couple of hours yesterday, with infectious delta, isn’t all that hopeful. The testing station in that area had a nine hour wait yesterday, before this announcement, so hopefully more staff will be available there today.
cherrie

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 07:00 am
@Borat Sister,
In Victoria we're just shaking our heads in disbelief at how badly NSW is handling their outbreak. They waited for weeks before they took any action and all they've done now is just a half-arsed lockdown in some areas, and their number of daily cases is growing. They need to do a state-wide hard lockdown like we do here, it's tough but it works.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 06:07 pm
@cherrie,
The Libs tried to make somuch cheap political mileage out of criticism of Andrews’ tactics in Victoria I guess it made them hesitate to do the same in NSW?

I hope not, but that’s what it kind of looks like.
cherrie

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 01:43 am
@Borat Sister,
Yeah, it's pretty sad if they're letting people die for political reasons.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 05:24 am
Hope y'all are hanging in ok. Indoor dining and gyms opened up here a couple of weeks ago, but numbers are going up again. I've accepted invites to my godson's baby shower and a wedding I would dearly love to attend, but who knows where we'll be in a month, six weeks. I've started second guessing my already well considered decisions. Ah me. So it goes...
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 05:40 am
@Joeblow,
the morons whove caused us to be in this position are kinda repenting it. they see the relationship between infections and possible prognoses.Also, the fact that the unvaxed are the major cluster of the infected and almost ALL the folks with severe responses.

Apparently everybody's an expert no matter if thats true or not. Ive listened to the anti vax arguments for months an wonder whre the hell are these people's brains?
0 Replies