A Parlour for a Plague

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 08:47 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Well then don't bunch up if you see someone ahead of you. Honestly? That is making a problem where there is none. If you see people standing ahead of you, you stop well before them. If someone comes up behind you, ask them to back away.

In other words, exactly if they used two way traffic. As I said, it's totally pointless - except for showing that your store is on the ball and cares about you.

Sorry this is so hard for you roger. People have been making me do pointless things my entire life. Get over it.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 08:48 pm
@chai2,
Some of us are just sharing experiences. I do not know what you are doing.
chai2

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 09:14 pm
@roger,
Venting.
Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 09:22 pm
@chai2,
I never said it was horrific .. I said it was stupid. Why make a rule that makes no sense ..that there is no reason for it.

I am not going to wear a mask walking through the woods when there is no reason for it, I will carry it with me and put it on if I come across some one else. I am a reasonable intelligent person and a respectable person. The rule is stupid and is not protecting anyone.

Sorry but I cannot respect dumb rules ...provide me some facts and I have no issue with supporting it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 09:24 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Venting.

Ya think maybe just maybe Roger is and myself is doing the same thing venting
ascribbler

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 09:50 pm
We need to ask ourselves how far can we wear a mask into the woods.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 11:40 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Venting.

Ya think maybe just maybe Roger is and myself is doing the same thing venting

Yeah! We're all venting. There ya go.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:22 am
@chai2,
In-laws and cousins are speechless:
After a further increase in new infections to record levels and a warning from the Corona Commission, the Austrian federal government is planning a far more drastic approach than before. It wants to significantly tighten the existing corona rules and apparently plans a complete lockdown. For three weeks thereafter shops and schools would be closed and exit restrictions would be imposed around the clock.

According to several media reports on the draft government decree, the exit restrictions that have so far been in force at night are to be extended to cover the whole day, with few exceptions. All shops not essential for daily needs would be closed according to the draft. Schools for younger age groups, which are still open, should also close and switch to distance learning, with kindergartens probably closing in most cases. Now a stricter ban on contact is to be added, so that only the narrowest circles are allowed to meet.

According to the draft, the current partial lockdown is to change into a complete lockdown from Tuesday to 6 December. Since 3 November a so-called partial lockdown has applied in Austria. Gastronomy, tourism, the cultural sector and leisure facilities have been closed for the most part. Trade, service providers and schools, with the exception of the upper secondary school, remained open for the time being - "for the time being", as Chancellor Kurz emphasised at the time. In addition, exit restrictions from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. have been in place up to now, allowing people to leave their "own private living space" only for basic needs and for outdoor recreation.

And people here are complaining ...
hightor

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:39 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Yes it is required to wear a mask in any public areas which would include things like local and state parks ..like trails in the woods that are not private. I walk almost daily in trails through the woods that starting today if I do not wear a mask I can be fined.

The governor of my state was asked about this in an interview and she responded that she was recently out hiking, not wearing a mask, and saw some hikers approaching her, not wearing masks. As they got closer together she put on hers and the other party put on theirs. I think your state's message is worded the way it is in order to impress the importance of mask-wearing. If you see someone, and you're carrying a mask in your pocket, put it on. It's that simple.
Quote:
Why is it I cannot go for my walk in the woods and do not pass anyone I need to wear a mask..to protect the deer?

Reminds me of this one: If a tree falls in a forest and no one's around to hear it does it make any noise?
hightor

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:41 am
Quote:
People have been making me do pointless things my entire life.

Amen.
Linkat

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:51 am
@hightor,
That is exactly what we have been doing, but what the governor is saying is need to wear a mask outside in public whether any one is near you or not.

Point being that is not the rule you need to wear in public outside under any circumstances . ..so if I am out on my sidewalk no one around, have a mask in my pocket reeady to put on in case someone happens by and police drive by if I do not have a mask on according to the governor I would be fined.
Linkat

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:56 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Amen.

Then you are a sheep. You just follow pointless rules and do not speak up? I do speak up for myself if there were a rule or procedure at work for example that was pointless I would bring it up and discuss it. I wouldn’t just follow it ... I know many people do but I credit myself with enough intelligence to recognize when something is pointless and try to fix it.
Linkat

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 07:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter I am not complaining because of the rules themselves ... I am complaining because of the stupidity of the rules. Do you honestly think if I am outside in a public area with a mask in my hand but not on and there is no one within 500 feet of me that having the mask on rather than in my hand will help stop the spread of the virus?

Do you honestly think that me eating in restaurant at 9:35 pm rather than at noon will cause an increase in the spread of the virus.

Now closing everything down like the example you give will have an impact so although that rule is more imposing it has an impact... our new rules are just dumb. That is my complaint... it sounds like our governor is making many rules for little or no reason.
hightor

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 07:05 am
@Linkat,
I understand — at least I think I do. The governor wants to exclude any loopholes, no excuses. And you, a responsible person, resent being treated as a dumb person. The trouble is, there are too many dumb people, rebellious dumb people, and making a sweeping rule like this reduces any ambiguity to zero. I'm sorry responsible people have to put up with this. But we are going through an unprecedented public health crisis. There's no way there won't be consequences we object to, and measures we resent. And that's exactly why I reposted chai's comment. It's part of the price we pay for living within an organized social system. A shrug, a roll of the eyes, a muttered oath and on goes the mask. This too shall pass.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 07:40 am
@Linkat,
A "no" to your questions.
But I stop at a red light even in the middle of the night and when no other car is to be seen.
That might be a kind of stupidity.

But I do think that general applikable rules/regulations are the best: if there is an exception for the one person and a special form for the other business - how it's done here - administration courts are overrun with new cases.
Linkat

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 07:47 am
@hightor,
The thing is laws/rules like this - the only ones to follow are the sheep - those like you said I follow lots of useless rules. The problem is those that are irresponsible as you site here - dumb rebellious type people these rules don't matter they aren't going to follow them - the bigger problem is making arbitrary rules like this that now depart from science based will cause those that are not dumb to lose trust in the government. I know I feel this way - but don't take it from me take it from Julia Marcus, an infectious disease epidemiologist at Harvard Medical School:

"I think a mandate like this - that know is arbitrary - is going to do more to reduce trust than it will to reduce infections."

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/11/05/charlie-baker-massachusetts-mask-order
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 01:03 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

hightor wrote:

Quote:

Amen.

Then you are a sheep. You just follow pointless rules and do not speak up? I do speak up for myself if there were a rule or procedure at work for example that was pointless I would bring it up and discuss it. I wouldn’t just follow it ... I know many people do but I credit myself with enough intelligence to recognize when something is pointless and try to fix it.

It really depends on the circumstances linkat. If it was in a relatively micro environement of a workplace, especially a small or mid sized company, I would speak up.

But something like this, that doesn't put me out one bit, is not worth it.

One thing I have learned over the years is to decide what hills you're willing to die on. Arguing and fighting over every pointless thing is, well pointless.

When people lives, in particular MY life is on the line, I will always lean to the side of caution. In this case it would mean wearing a mask all the time.

I keep hearing people saying "This is so confusing", and then bring up these nit picky things like when a restaurant closes, this time vs that time. As far as I'm concerned, no restaurant or bar should even be open to diners. Take out or delivery everywhere. Want to drink, get a bottle from the liquor store.

My definition of being a sheep doesn't mean arguing and being resistant to things that, bottom line shouldn't be something that's putting you out in the first place.

What difference does it make if this or that? I don't know right now. But what if it was discovered that the virus is more easily transmitted at night, with alcohol in the system, when at a public place. Don't laugh. Might not be the best scientific example, but you take my point.

If everyone in this country had immediately done what they're supposed to do, and even a bit more, we wouldn't be in the situation we are today. What is this now? The third wave?
Look at the countries that jumped right on this, and didn't whine about something being pointless? Look who has the lowest infection to death ratio.

They are the ones that didn't moan about all the "hardships" and just put on their damn mask and stayed away from people.

Americans, not all, but way too many, are just being whiney asses. entitled and "triggered" If anyone is walking around "confused" about doing what they should be doing? They are idiots. Yeah, I said it.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get COVID. Maybe someone here will. In my case it won't be from sitting at a restaurant or being at a sporting event, or being confused how putting a clean mask over my ears.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 04:22 pm
@Linkat,
An immune system is often less responsive when people are tired. When people have booze in their body. You want to take a risk, be my guest. I don't have that carefree approach to life. For one thing, I have a few comorbidities. Are you aware that the 30 seconds of your being willing to put on a mask while walking in the woods, is not enough time to disperse and diffuse all the germs, especially if a breeze blows the germs ahead of you?

I don't like the mask wearing but the idea of a tube shoved into my throat so I can breathe is much more horrible.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:25 pm
Sounds to me like you’re all tired

It’s been a rough few years in a very divided country.

I hope the new administration can get covid more under control, but it’s going to be hard when there are so many people who still believe it’s a hoax, conspiracy etc.

Wouldn’t it be great if the Pfizer vaccine turned out to be really helpful?

Yes, I know a bunch of people will refuse it and as with any vaccine there will be some not good outcomes, but I’m so hoping it’s workable.

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 05:46 pm
@Borat Sister,
And my state now has 17 covid cases....some of which are community transmission

We are now declared a hotspot by other states and must quarantine if we travel.

I expect our covid precautions to go up at least one level today.