Borat Sister

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2020 09:47 pm
@farmerman,
Where are those mountains Farmerman?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2020 09:48 pm
@farmerman,
You’re a renaissance man you know, fm. It’s all there in that one post.
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 04:27 am
@Borat Sister,
stop that ****. Im alway amazed at the knowlege that others here have.
The Sangre de Christo mts are in the south central part of Colorado They form a ridge line that gos throught the state to the N, the next range up is the Sawatch Mts.

The fires were seemingly along this ridge area to the North and moving S.

Colrado i , you know, a square shaped state and is about 100 000 sq mi [plus (close enough). I always say its about half the size of the entire UK.

I did a lot of work in the gold fields, water sources and in some nuke cleanups (**** left over from WWII that contaminates ground water )

If I understand Leadfoot, he says hes NEAR Salidas which is in the lower third part of the state and at about its N/S center line.

We did some geo work near Canon City, thats about 60 km east of Salidas and is off the mts and on the prairie. its all south of denver about an hour by car. (If I recall correctly)

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 05:21 am
@farmerman,
The fires are awful.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 07:32 am
@farmerman,
When I'd been the first time on my own in Colorado, I'd stayed in Golden.
When I mentioned this to a (history) prof at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (Socorro, NM), I got a kind of private tutorial of the history of mining in the Southwest.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 07:42 am
The Sangre de Christo mountains — where I first experienced altitude sickness! It was worth it — I spotted a mountain bluebird and a Clark's nutcracker.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 08:14 am
@hightor,
The settlers using the Mountain Route of the Santa Fe Trail could have told you a thing or two about it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 09:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
my uncle Stosh taught at Uni of NM. He could bend an ear too. All his stories had people getting shot over gold n silver.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2020 01:18 pm
@farmerman,
No ****! Those mining sites around Gunnison Nat forest are on some of my favorite ATV trails. I’d hate to see them go too.
All the fires this year are all well north of me. Last year I could watch the firefighter planes dump retardant on the deChristos on my way up Poncha Pass to Salida. I never worry too much, got pretty good firebreaks around the shack and no trees.

Heading back to FL tomorrow at zero dark thirty.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2020 01:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Oh the excitement this morning!

Was packing Viola up to go to the vet for her heart check, when we heard a loud bang.

I had a kind of peripheral image of a magpie on my retina and, when I looked in the direction of the bang, there was a single telltale featherlet in the middle of my large window.

Sure enough, when I looked outside, a juvenile magpie was sitting on a chair just outside the window looking balefully, if groggily, for the bastard who had attacked her!

I looked at her apologetically before chasing down a wised up Viola, who was seeking to avoid the carrier of doom. After wrestling a determined Viola and closing the carrier on her desperate struggles, I turned to leave.

Outside the offending window, inches from my face, perched the entire magpie family, clearly eager to thoroughly mess up the evildoer who had attacked one of their own.

For a moment it resembled the parts of The Birds when the birds silently gather for the next attack.

Telling myself that these magpies KNEW me...that we had always been friends...I bravely left the house, all too aware that I was carrying a CAT.

the Maggies stared at me. “It wasn’t me! I said desperately. “I’d never hurt you! I’m so sorry!”

Assembled magpiedom stared deep into my soul and let me pass.

Phew!
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2020 02:51 pm
@Borat Sister,
This is the best story I've heard in awhile!

Damsel in distress trying to escape the intrepid hunter.
Family vendettas.
Foolish nephew who doesn't look where he's going.

I'm looking forward to Season 2.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 10:14 am
@chai2,
"Rick's Vis" (Rick's Fish) is located on the German-Dutch border in Gronau in the Münsterland region. Right on the border. The entrance door is still on the German side, the buffet, kitchen and restaurant on the Dutch side. Normally no problem - but now different corona rules apply in the two neighbouring countries.
Because restaurants in the Netherlands have to be closed due to the Corona pandemic, owner Rick de Vries set up a tent and put tables and chairs outside, on the German side. His new concept for "Rick's Vis" : "You get the fish in the Netherlands and eat it in Germany".

The procedure is already a bit weird and makes the corona rule chaos clear: the food is prepared in Dutch Overdinkel. Rick takes fried fish, herring etc, puts on his mask - which he only has to wear in Germany but not in the Netherlands - walks through the empty restaurant and enters the county of Borken through the door to the outside. On the terrace, on the German side, there is a heated tent, and that's where the food is served.

The big worry for Rick and his Dutch and German guests is that a Dutch decree will soon go so far that restaurants there will soon have to close completely.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 12:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
well, just want to make sure you belt up and travel safely. You fly or drive home?

I guess Ill get the answer when you arrive.

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 02:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The procedure is already a bit weird and makes the corona rule chaos clear: the food is prepared in Dutch Overdinkel. Rick takes fried fish, herring etc, puts on his mask - which he only has to wear in Germany but not in the Netherlands - walks through the empty restaurant and enters the county of Borken through the door to the outside. On the terrace, on the German side, there is a heated tent, and that's where the food is served.

So does he have to go through customs each time and show his passport? That must get exhausting.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 02:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We have stuff like that between states as each state has their own covid rules - not quite to the extent of having the same restaurant in two different countries 0r even states - but that one will cross into another state because they are allowed certain "freedoms" you might not have in a neighboring state - like restaurants.

We have done this - my daughter crosses in NH almost every week to play basketball games. They can scrimmage with their team in MA but they cannot play full actual games against other teams. All the sports venues just over the border in NH are fully booked as a result. They do have certain rules - temperature checks for anyone entering the venue, limited spectators, masks (except when playing) and a few others. But they can play full games with no modifications of the rules. So NH is fielding games from teams in MA, VT, NY, CT - possibly other states - as there is "free" crossing in these states to the other states with no quarantine or testing required.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 04:25 pm
@Linkat,
Must be weird having such fractured responses when you have such small states!

Our states do have different responses, but there is much more national coordination and, because we have only 6 mainland states everything is much clearer. Also, you just cannot travel between most states at present.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 04:35 pm
@Linkat,
To add to all this Rhode Island is the only New England state that MA is not allowing “free” entering without either a negative Covid test or being quarantined. However to complicate things because people can live in one state and work on another... they do allow no test/quarantine if you live in one and work in another or say you have a doctor appointment or something in one state and live in another. And some other exceptions.

So the rules can be difficult to follow and the states change weekly those that are exempt from this and those that are not.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 04:46 pm
@Linkat,
Ive always wondered how the new england states handled all the interstate travel. In Delaware, theyve had an on anf off quarantine rule this past summer. Before one of our two boat runs we stayed at our place On the Broadkill and had a delivery service for foods. All this was for 14 days nd w stayed away after that experience. I have 2 Library CDs I left down there that I hve to buy because I cant retrieve them without quarantining.

Southern Del is populated by many uneducated old white farts who
dont feel masks work (Russian Roulette for the surrounding popultion)

Its definitely Trump Country where rules of good common sense are "Optional"

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 06:02 pm
We just got a new executive order in New Mexico. Restaurants are now required to get the name and phone number (or email addy) for every customer. Contact tracing, I suppose.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2020 06:42 pm
@roger,
It’s funny because many restaurants are doing that here in MA, but some are not. It actually seems more by town rather than state. Also some restaurants will not allow you to order a drink without ordering food first and it has to be a certain amount of food.

For instance we went out and were just going to order some oysters and have some wine ... I forget how much we had to order in oyster but our first order was rejected.

At another restaurant in another town just next door we ordered drinks and no food ...the first said it was a state mandate. But it varies so much by town not state.