A Parlour for a Plague

chai2

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 04:47 pm
@Linkat,
So sorry to hear about all of this.

I know the feeling of just being tired of it all.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 03:18 pm
@chai2,
Glad that Melbourne has been able to cease curfew and ease restrictions

Hope they can continue in this direction
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 03:49 pm
@Borat Sister,
I'm skeptical and plan on making no changes for myself for a good long while.

Whenever something here is eased up, people act like idiots and back to square one.

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 04:33 pm
@chai2,
I think here we are generally pulling together....there are certainly a bunch of conspiracy nuts, but they’re outnumbered
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 04:41 pm
@Borat Sister,
Question re that.

How are younger adults on board with this?

I tend to see college age, older high school age, and some know it all under 25's trying to get away with not wearing a mask as often as possible. The big thing is having the mask on, but nose uncovered. They look so stupid, and I think they think they are cool.

Was any particular segment of your society resistent? (not including the nuts)
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 05:03 pm
@chai2,
Well, we don’t have to wear masks because, so far, covid is well contained here. This means there’s no obvious “tell” about people’s attitudes.

When I’m out and about, young people seem to have no problem maintaining social distancing...but I wouldn’t know what they were up to in their social lives.

Pity msolga won’t come here any more, she’s been in the thick of it in Melbourne and would have a much better view of how well people stuck to rules generally.

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 06:49 pm
@chai2,
Thanks to whoever gave me the thumbs down.

I know you must be stupid too.

Borat Sister, I didn't realize there was never a mask thing there.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 02:56 am
@Borat Sister,
Well, AUSTRALIA is as big as the US.

Different rules apply in different places. Where I am, masks are very rare because we don’t have any current unexplained and unquarantined covid.

In Victoria I have no doubt that masks are mandatory. NSW has a number of cases and they may be mandatory there.

My state’s borders are currently closed...they may open to some states and possibly New Zealand soon.

I don’t think you understand how differently covid has generally been managed here.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 04:17 am
@Borat Sister,
I still think of msolga and her care of animals,(A little too caring for ll species). I hope shes doing well and IS well.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 04:48 am
@Borat Sister,
Masks are mandatory in all of Victoria. When I go out to do the shopping - pretty much the only reason I go anywhere - everybody is wearing them. There's very little resistance to them around here. In Melbourne there's that small percentage of people who think the rules don't apply to them, but a $200 fine probably changes the minds of all but the most determined.

We have been allowed to wear scarves or bandanas instead but that has now changed. Close fitting masks must be worn. People who wear face shields instead for medical reasons will no longer be allowed to unless they're also wearing a mask.

Restrictions in Melbourne have eased slightly, with the curfew ending, some businesses reopening, limited visitors permitted at homes and so on. It's all still pretty strict though with people not allowed to travel more that 5km from their homes, and no-one in the metropolitan area being allowed to go into regional Victoria. Roadblocks are in place on the major roads and increased police patrols on the minor roads. The penalty for trying to get through without a really good and documented reason is $4957, and that's for each person in the car. So that would be a pretty expensive attempt to escape.

It's all working though. We've gone from over 700 new daily cases 6 or 7 weeks ago down to just 5 new cases today.

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 04:54 am
@cherrie,
So glad to hear things are getting better for you guys
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 05:05 am
@Borat Sister,
The memory of peopl denying that masks serve an important function in disease prevention is kind of gone away.

I hope it doesnt go likewise for taking a vaccine.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 05:06 am
@Borat Sister,
Baby steps. As long as we keep taking it slowly it should be okay.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 09:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

How are younger adults on board with this?

I tend to see college age, older high school age, and some know it all under 25's trying to get away with not wearing a mask as often as possible. The big thing is having the mask on, but nose uncovered. They look so stupid, and I think they think they are cool.

My daughter's college just reported they have zero cases of covid on campus among students - that includes students living on campus and off. They had a slight up tick when the students first came back to class, but since then through quarantines and having many rules in place that the majority of the students followed (at least from info my daughter provided) they were able to stop any spreading. These students value being able to go to school and have in class learning.

There are responsible young adults under 25 - there are irresponsible adults over 25 - there was a wedding held in Maine for example in which they did not follow correct mask/social distancing and now 8 people have died and 120 cases are linked to this wedding.

You can read about cases of family gatherings and other large parties in which there has been large outbreaks (those adults over 25) - Chicago, Miami, Idaho, North Carolina - I have read about - and I am sure this has occurred in other states.

You read about adults in their 40s fighting because they do not want to wear a mask.

Stupidity is not only an under 25 infliction. I think the media highlights young adults and teens more than the stupid adults whose brains are supposed to be fully developed. At least the younger folks have an excuse - what about these idiot adults.
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 10:41 am
@Linkat,
Oh I don’t deny there are responsible young people, and irresponsible older ones.

I wasn’t going by any media information, but by my own personal observations when I go out.

I mean of the people who are ignoring or abusing the mask requirements, there are more young adults here doing that than middle age from what I personally observe.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2020 05:56 am
Please check in Roberta
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2020 07:13 pm
Soup bar is back open at Central Market.

Now though, an employee ladles out your order.
Have gotten soup a couple times since it reopened.

I got a large container of veg beef soup yesterday, and just opened it for dinner.
The young lady really must have liked me, because this isn't soup. It's Stew!

She must have ladeled it all up from the bottom.

Thank you Soup Girl.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:24 pm
@chai2,
Go soup girl!

Any talk of soup immediately takes me back to the soup nazi.

Had a look at my vocal chords yesterday. Trying to figure out why I can’t sing any more, for more than a few minutes, anyway.

I knew as we age that we often transition to an old person’s voice, some more than others, and my vocal chords are thinning.

ENT had some ideas though. I’ll see if I can afford them!

I love singing so much I’ll be sad if I can’t do it
Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 03:26 am
@Borat Sister,
Deb, I used to love to sing too. And I did plenty of it until I had radiation on my throat. No more singing for this kid. It makes me sad, but I sing in my head. I don't hum in my head, but I do a lot of silent singing.

I'm hoping somebody can help you.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 03:47 am
@Roberta,
How are you? Have you been in hospital again, or just not feeling like posting?

Had a bee swarm here today!