A Parlour for a Plague

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 11:27 am
@Borat Sister,
I'm hanging in. No, no hospital again. My computer is dying, and I'm running out of patience with trying to post. There are days when I don't turn it on.

Give the woollies a scritch for me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 01:00 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Oh I don’t deny there are responsible young people, and irresponsible older ones.

I wasn’t going by any media information, but by my own personal observations when I go out.

I mean of the people who are ignoring or abusing the mask requirements, there are more young adults here doing that than middle age from what I personally observe.

Listening to public radio to Austin news today.

Here's the link, and a cut and paste of the story. Way to go students.
I can't help but think UT is the only university experiencing this.

https://www.tpr.org/texas/2020-09-13/its-bs-students-austin-residents-and-health-officials-push-back-on-ut-football-game

'It's BS' — Students, Austin Residents and Health Officials Push Back On UT Football Game
Texas Public Radio | By Dominic Anthony Walsh
Published September 13, 2020 at 4:22 PM CDT

This post was originally published on Sunday, Sept. 13, at 3:16 p.m. It has been updated to include a statement from University of Texas officials.

In its first game of an unusual football season, the University of Texas at Austin hosted the University of Texas at El Paso. The Longhorns won big, 59-3.

Despite the success on the field, one key game-day strategy failed: mandatory face coverings.

Standing in front of the stadium, longtime Austin resident Ed Malcik waved his hands across the scene.

“Look around you. There's three people there without masks,” he said, pointing at various groups. “There's another over there. There's one person behind me. You know, there's a lot of people coming in without masks.”

Media access to the game was restricted, but portions of the approximately 15,000-person crowd were visible from the roof of a nearby parking garage. Of about 600 people within sight, more than 300 didn’t wear a face covering.

Malcik stopped by the stadium to photograph the arriving crowd. He said the season will likely lead to COVID-19 outbreaks.

“I don't think there's going to be a lot of games. I think it's too difficult,” he said. “I figure 70% of the people here are wearing masks, and the other 30% are not. And that's problematic.”

He also described the scene as “boring.” Several game-day traditions were canceled, and far fewer people were on the streets than normal.

Patty Otto has been coming to UT games for about 25 years. She said the scene was unreal.

“It's nice, but it's a little Twilight Zone-ish,” she said.

Otto said she felt safe. But UTEP fan Michelle Burns did not.

“I don't,” she said. “But my son's playing, and I'm not gonna miss him playing on this field. So here we are.”

Local health officials in Austin have been critical of UT’s decision to host the large gathering, even with some COVID-19 safety measures in place. The stadium’s capacity is limited to 25% in accordance with state law, but only UT students — a small fraction of the crowd — had to test negative ahead of the game in order to attend.

University officials said social distancing measures were in place. But outside the stadium, social distancing was non-existent.

There were roughly 15,000 people in attendance at UT's first game of the football season. According to state law, the stadium can be filled to 25% capacity, which is 25,000 people.
Inside the stadium, more than 15,000 fans were spaced out. Future games could hold up to 25,000 people.

“Our gathering limit is 10, and having 25,000 people in one space is a concern," said Mark Escott, Austin Public Health's interim health authority, speaking at a press conference a few days before the game.

Cerena Ermitanio is a UT senior. She was highly critical of the decision to resume games, especially after the university told students to act responsibly.

“I honestly think it's BS,” she said.

Ermitanio said she thinks the university will blame students for any outbreaks, “but I think the reality is UT should be all totally closed. All of our classes should be online because all of these things are open at this weird number of capacity. And still hosting football games is really, to me, an incentive for people to move back and have these gatherings.”

During the event, students gathered off campus at Cain & Abel’s and other restaurants to watch the televised game. Locations with outdoor patios must abide by social distancing protocols, but capacity limits go out the door in these open-air spaces, and masks come off when food and drinks are served.

The University of Texas required face masks to be worn at its first football game of the season, but many in the crowd did not keep their masks on throughout the game.

The University of Texas required face masks to be worn inside the stadium at its first football game of the season. Outside, about half the crowd wore masks.
Since students moved back, large gatherings have also been spotted at co-ops and Greek life houses, even as UT has confirmed more than 300 new COVID-19 cases among students, faculty and staff over the past month.

Malcik — the longtime Austin resident — questioned the wisdom of UT’s approach, which places the burden of a successful reopening squarely on the shoulders of tens of thousands of 18- to 22-year-olds.

“I think they're gonna be really hard-pressed to keep a bunch of young people away from larger gatherings. I think they do a good job on the campus, but after that, it's kind of everybody for themselves,” he said. “It's very problematic. I mean, I've witnessed situations — large gatherings, and all with no masks. And so that’s a serious problem. And where that's going to go, or how long it's going to go? I haven't got a clue.”

Officials with UT media relations said security staff was instructed to enforce the rules, and compliance from attendees was expected.

"We’ll be reviewing all aspects of the event to see if there are areas where we can improve procedures," the statement reads.

Later this month, UT Austin's football team will play Texas Tech in Lubbock. The team's next home game is against Texas Christian University in early October.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 07:06 pm
@chai2,
Hmmmmm....dramas in Victoria as crowds gather at st kinda beach, often mask less or with masks covering only mouths.

Some dumb maskless woman kissed the reporter who was reporting on the gathering and broadcasting a plea for adherence to guidelines.

It doesn’t specifically say they were young people, but I’m guessing they mostly were
chai2

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2020 06:33 am
@Borat Sister,
Albeit some/many people at the game were parents and other people over a certain age.

But I've had to drive multiple times through and around the UT campus on games days. Way more youth. As with any big university games.
I don't know the stats on other places.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2020 03:21 pm
NYU (New York University) students and plenty of others use Washington Square Park as a mostly maskless hangout on weekends.

Not to mention the oodles of idiots who in various states of intoxication wander around the Village wrapped in each others arms, at varied intervals greeting other dimwits often with hugs and kisses.

Plus, I'd hate living on one of the streets where restaurants have been allowed to set up their tabpes...in the street. Does this virus have a limit to how high up it might go (if someone has an open window)?

Anyway, our case numbers are climbing.
chai2

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2020 07:08 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Anyway, our case numbers are climbing.

If you pick at it, it won't heal.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 04:28 am
@Sturgis,
NYC is climbing again? Oh no
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 12:11 pm
Anyone seen my reading glasses? Cheapies with cobalt blue frames. If not, who's holding pistachios?
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 03:37 pm
@ehBeth,
The friend I went out with yesterday has new cobalt blue frames.

Coincidence?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 07:21 pm
@ehBeth,
The pistachios are no longer available. When I realized that they have a limited shelf life, I devoured them.

All of them.

I buried the shells out along the back fence, which will be good nutrients for the rose bushes.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 07:52 pm
@Sturgis,
We grow them here!
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 10:17 am
About a month ago I realized I lost my drivers license.

Getting a replacement at the DVM was going to be a difficult affair, since I moved as well.
I realized I had a picture of the license on my phone. I thought that for the time being that would be enough.

So today, I take my perscription eye drops out of the fridge, and my hand brushes the 2 unopened bottles of them, still in their pharmacy bags.

License was taped to one of the bags.
White bag, white tape, white background on license, license is also red and blue, the logo on the bag, red and blue.

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 03:11 pm
@chai2,
The joys of locating things.

Glad you found it.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 03:13 pm
@chai2,
Yay!

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 03:17 pm
@Borat Sister,
We can grow rose bushes here as well!

....wonder if she meant pistachios....
roger

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 03:21 pm
@chai2,
I had almost the same situation. Only difference was that it was my bank card and they had thoughtfully tucked it inside the bag. Of course, that card is much more easily replaced than a driver license.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 07:00 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Yay!

Funny thing was, at the moment I discovered it, I was like "mmmrff"

Obviously the first thing I have to do when I get up is feed 2 whining demons. They are obviously starving because there is no food except for the 3/4's full bowl of kibble.

After the eeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE stops, I hit the Keurig button, then open the fridge. I was basically unconscious.
roger

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 08:11 pm
@chai2,
3/4 full is no problem. Just rearrange the kibble so they can't see the bottom of the bowl. Fools them every time.
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 09:34 pm
@roger,
Oh no. The kibble covers the bottom

It’s just not the right kind of food for the morning ritual. Wink
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 11:50 pm
@Sturgis,
She did.

We also grow carob!

And a whole lot of other stuff....
0 Replies