A Parlour for a Plague

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 11:58 am
I ‘m on an iPad so I can’t post links. Today marks the 800th anniversary of when work first started on Salisbury Cathedral. They did have a big programme of events with large bits of art in the grounds. That’s all now available online.
George

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
My only visit to England was back in 1976.
Salisbury Cathedral was one of the highlights.
Magnificent!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 01:40 pm
@George,
I’ve not looked at it myself, it is just down the road, but Winchester is even closer.

The art installations look good, I think I might pop over there when things ease off.

I’ve just seen the report on the local news.
George

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 01:49 pm
@izzythepush,
The best thing about it was that the main attraction (for me, at least)
of the bus tour I took was Stonehenge. Salisbury was just another stop
until we got there. But when we did, wow!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 02:00 pm
@George,
Stonehenge has changed, now you have to pay to see the stones and you can't clamber over them any more.

It's a real tourist trap.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 03:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I’ve not looked at it myself, it is just down the road, but Winchester is even closer.

The art installations look good, I think I might pop over there when things ease off.

I’ve just seen the report on the local news.

Ah we went to Winchester when I was in my 20s - did a "King Arthur" tour of our own design.

And we went to stonehedge - what I remember of that (glad I went before it was a tourist trap) -took a bus it dropped us off at stonehedge - nothing was there but a small tourist type gift shop and of course the site itself - we walked around a bit took pictures and stuff and caught the same bus on its return trip.

Seemed a bit of work to get there without a car - but it was worth seeing
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 04:29 pm
@Linkat,
You can see Henge from the road, but only in the distance. The original road that went past it has been diverted. Now you have to drive to a ‘heritage area’ where you can catch a shuttle, or walk, to Henge but only after you’ve paid an entry fee.

If you’re doing Arthur then Tintagel and Glastonbury are very important if you follow the southern claim that puts Camelot in the vicinity of Glastonbury. The northern claim has it in Carlisle.

There’s all sorts of other minor Arthur sites like Cadbury castle in Somerset. I’ve got a big coffee table book called Lore of the Land which looks at folk tales county by county. There are some duplicates, but most stories are fairly original.

Cornwall probably has the most. I remember watching a documentary about a band who were staying at a cottage on the moors. The pub was about a mile away,and on the way they passed a rock formation where the Devil would watch gladiatorial style combats by demons eager to gain his favour. Now on the way there in the light they could laugh and joke about it. The return journey in the dark after a few beers wasn’t quite as jovial.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 04:31 pm
ok ok ok everybody.

BVT/bipolar bear had posted this on facebook, and it is SO worth a listen.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 05:52 pm
Just found out that it is unlikely the outdoor pools will be opened this year. Maybe not the indoor ones either. I'm coping well with a lot of this, but the loss of swimming, urf. not good.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 06:07 pm
@ehBeth,
I feel the same way. I try to go out for walks at night, and mostly fail.

My clothing fits the same, but I can tell I'm losing tone.

If I was able to do meal deliveries at least I'd feel like I was semi keeping in shape.

Dispirited.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 06:08 pm
@chai2,
On the other hand, my k cups for dark Italian roast arrived. Three months supply.

Anyone care for a cup?

Chai's Cafe now open.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Wow! Haven’t seen Salisbury but, even as a non Christian, the living history in those places moves me greatly.

I actually cried when sitting quietly in Notre Dame because I could feel the generations moving about in there.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Very sorry to hear that Beth. I’m missing ocean swimming but there’s nothing stopping me doing it except being a wuss about winter colder water.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:36 pm
@chai2,
I’m failing at walking enough and there is NO earthly reason.

I even have an actual raincoat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:46 pm
@Borat Sister,
Tim West and Prunella Scales had a VLOG on Netflix where they took their narrowboat (its a canal boat) all over England and Wales and into the Low Countries. You can look it up on the search function on Netflix. Id use their names and Narrowboat in the search term. Maybe Izzy kn ows the name of the VLOG.
I love these narrowboat shows and now, with everyone locked down, the folks who live aboard are taking walks and drives into the country sides.
Its a guilty pleasure for me.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:53 pm
@farmerman,
Those canal boats are great fun....even just to look at moored. People make them so pretty.

We had a good wander around Little Venice in London and ate at a great pub there.

Our after dark wander back was marred because....(having prolapsed a disk and therefore having a dodgy right leg) I managed to fall down a very scenic flight of stone stairs. I was surprisingly not much hurt.
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 08:01 pm
@Borat Sister,
wow, you are one tough lady.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 08:03 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
My clothing fits the same, but I can tell I'm losing tone.

really noticing the loss of muscle tone. not a great thing as an ölder adult" . I have lost a bit of weight. Noticeable in a few pants that now fit like Ed Grimley specials.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4f/53/1b/4f531ba7aafda2743cde8769e165aaa0.jpg

not a problem when I'm participating in the Dark Dance group but in real life, this could be a bit of a problem. I may need to order some petite leggings. bah. no thanks.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 08:07 pm
@Borat Sister,
I'm hoping to find a way to be able to get in the lake (legally) in a month or two because I need that damn swim time to keep my head straight
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies