A Parlour for a Plague

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:27 am
@Setanta,
Yes. Also young people and children have so much energy!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:10 am
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Anyone got any great books, films and TV series to recommend?

Hey, bunny. I just finished reading The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan. I thought was good--and engrossing.
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:58 am
@Roberta,
Thank you. I’ll check it out.

Any more?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:02 am
@Roberta,
Got it on Audible

How are you Boida?
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 07:27 am
@Borat Sister,
Yes I knew that. But I said a lot in that post, mostly good things about Mexico. So I didn’t know what shocked you.
The woman who said “Right behind you”? I thought she was aware to quickly tell me she was there so I didn’t back into her, and moved quickly on.

What I find in the store is a lot of gridlock. People not being able to figure out to ******* back up so someone else can get by, then a third person shows up and stands there like an idiot, etc.

Yeah. People have always been oblivious. Nothing new there. Nothing shocks me about them really. Just depresses me.
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:25 am
@chai2,
I like going to this link a couple times a week and watching this webcam view of a street right outside a big park in Centro in San Miguel.

Right now, a little after 12 noon on Monday March 30, really quiet and nice.

https://sanmiguelrealestate.com/san-miguel-de-allende/live-webcam
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:36 am
We have long had time of day energy pricing. Cheaper overnight etc. Similar to cellular billing. Because of the number of people now at home/working from home, the government has moved it to the cheaper pricing around the clock. Good thing. I'm probably using a lot of energy charging and recharging devices.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:09 pm
Postal service is shaky. Spoke with a local and there's been no delivery there for the past week. Mine is still appearing.

Meanwhile, fines of up to $500.00 will be issued to violators of the distance between folks rule. We the mayor put it, a warning and order to disperse will be done. If people are good, they don't get a fine, if they return soon after to the same or nearby spot, a fine will come to them. Each of them.

The MTA (subways/buses/trains) has reduced service. This has led to a new peril as the transportation means are a little more crowded...although not even half as much as a few months ago.

The Staten Island Ferry is going to an hourly basis did to lack of passengers. Still free, so still a good deal...although if a person is running late for work, it might cause some nervousness.

Cloudy, sunless day number 3 or possibly 5 in a row. I'm no longer sure...

This NY Times item contains photos of the city currently.

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/30/nyregion/photos-of-new-york-coronavirus.html
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:15 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Yes I knew that. But I said a lot in that post, mostly good things about Mexico. So I didn’t know what shocked you.
The woman who said “Right behind you”? I thought she was aware to quickly tell me she was there so I didn’t back into her, and moved quickly on.

What I find in the store is a lot of gridlock. People not being able to figure out to ******* back up so someone else can get by, then a third person shows up and stands there like an idiot, etc.

Yeah. People have always been oblivious. Nothing new there. Nothing shocks me about them really. Just depresses me.

Why the thumbs down?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow! That’s a thoughtful, informed government you seem to have going there.

0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:11 pm
@Sturgis,
I’m not sure about whether our postal service is affected. I know parcel delivery people are regularly lying about having attempted to deliver to me and just dropping off parcels at the nearest post office. However, that’s pretty normal as the government outsourced most of that to private contractors and the workers are now paid per delivery. They can’t really make a living if they do the job properly.

I love the Staten Island Ferry! I imagine it wouldn’t be so loveable if you were commuting.

Our public transport seems to be normal, but with so many closures of businesses and people being ordered to stay home, I imagine it is much emptier.

Thank you for the photos

How are you going Sturgis?
Roberta

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:44 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Got it on Audible

How are you Boida?

Noivous and creeped out. The only time I can remember the city being quieter than this was on 9/11.

Joe and I thought that a visit would be OK this week. I just finished reading the latest stats. I cancelled the visit. Things are worse--not tapering off as we had hoped.

On the whole, my life is pretty much the same as it was before the virus. The only time I go out is when I go to the hospital, supermarket, and drugstore. Now I just go to the supermarket. I go first thing in the morning. Then I go home and go to sleep.

Aside from being nervous (let's face it, I'm always gonna be nervous about something), I'm restless. Now that I can't go out, I'm annoyed. I don't like being told what to do. But I'm behaving.

I hope you like the book.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:57 pm
Don't be like me.

ptw

________

omg omg shortness of breath
<pats chest to reassure self>
god damn, god damn. to be fancy for Monday I put on a sports bra this morning
breathing is fine

omg omg lost sense of smell (after reading that anosmia was a symptom)
<checks>
the menthol I thought I was sniffing was aloe
<slaps self on back of head>

omg omg so fatigued
<checks>
drank decaf tea in the morning
<making proper tea now to totally mess up sleep schedule>

seriously
I need to calm tf down
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:22 pm
Today when I came in, after washing my hands (twice), I decided to wash my face as well. I think I’m going to do that from now on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Sounds much like myself. I don't know if I'm scared of the disease itself or its effect on economics and society. Sometimes one; sometimes the other.
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh the humanity

I’m weirdly in denial re personal risk...but then I’m generally calm and rational when there’s really bad stuff going on and hysterical about trivial stuff.

So it goes

I’m focusing on being a lot closer to being able to go ahead with an enclosed garden in the back yard for Sebastian. It’s been held up forever by this verklempten man who owns one of the houses behind me and whose permission I needed. It’s rented out

He refused to respond to my emails until I got tha management committee involved, then was very rude. But he’s consented

Now I just need one more from a woman who has consented verbally to me and the key person on the management committee but who is just too laid back to come across with the one sentence in an email or text that I need

It’ll be nice for me to have a back garden too. Haven’t been able to do a thing because anything I plant will just get dug up when the work gets done

Hoping Sebastian is still alive to enjoy it

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:02 pm
@roger,
I’m just hoping if I get it and die that I’m well sedated!

And also that I haven’t spread it to anyone else.

I’m observing all the rules.

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:05 pm
@Roberta,
Do you have the ability for virtual company Boida? Everyone is getting what they need to see each other and chat...
I know you have an old computer but can you skype or zoom?

A person needs distractions in this time!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:01 pm
@Borat Sister,
there's always facetime. a friend's daughter just attended a birthday party by way of facetime. If she can do it ... maybe I can ... and Roberta as well .

Will have to consider combing hair for this project.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:14 pm
@Borat Sister,
Quote:
How are you going?

most of the time, I'm okay. Just occasionally unnerved by what's going on. Then I pull myself together and get on with life.

How's it wid yous?
(not as good as Roberta in writing New Yorkese)

And as Roberta noted, the intense quiet is difficult to deal with.