A Parlour for a Plague

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 05:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I’m feeling as though I should be helping local restaurants by getting take away....but I can’t afford that sort of thing any more!

It’s taking time to get used to being poor!

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 05:40 pm
@Borat Sister,
I've been trying to get fruit/ veg at the tiny independent greengrocers Keep them going as long as possible. I'm not a big take-out fan at the very best of times. I've probably ordered food delivery less than a dozen times in 24 years of living here.
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I seem to get less junk email every day. I don't read any of it anyway but I go through it every day to be sure nothing important gets deleted.

There's a website called "Catalog Choice."

You can use it to stop unwanted catalogs and mailings.

I started working on it a few ago, and already the amount has diminished.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Restaurants and cafes here can only serve takeaway, normally I’m not a fan either.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I feel very glad that my eco village has its own farm to supply veg and eggs. The people running it sell any excess at the local farmers market....which will doubtless be shut down after last night’s new restriction announcement. They have capacity to deliver so I hope they aren’t too affected.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:00 pm
@Borat Sister,
same thing here. actually a lot of places aren't even doing take-out. delivery only. a local chocolatier is only mailing her product out. I've read that a lot of restos are using their regular staff doing local deliveries to keep them employed until government money comes through.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Our government is promising money, but I’m not seeing how they can do it in time, even though they are hiring some of the thousands of social security people they got rid of and re opening offices they had just closed.

It took four months for them to process my claim a year ago.
roger

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:36 pm
@Borat Sister,
Social Security people they got rid of? Not sure exactly what that means, but this old guy has got enough to worry about without the fear of being 'got rid of'.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 08:20 pm
@roger,
Staff!
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 08:22 pm
@chai2,
Wow Chai, I’m shocked
cherrie

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 09:04 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

So...how are we all?

I have a cold - yes, I'm sure it's just a cold - but I work in an aged care facility and if you so much as sniff at the moment you're not allowed to be there.

So I have now joined the rapidly growing ranks of the unemployed.
roger

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 09:20 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Staff!

Oh
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:02 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Wow Chai, I’m shocked

About what?
Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:14 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:
I’m surprised Canadians are being dumb re distancing. I’d have thought you were getting good information as opposed to what anyone in the US who listens to Trump is getting.

Most, but by no means all, were young people. Apart from the tendency of the young to think of themselves as invulnerable, I suspect a lot of them think of it as a disease of the elderly. (The news here just reported on an infant who had died in the U.S.) But a lot of them were middle-aged and either oblivious or indifferent. Some even seemed resentful when I'd get off the sidewalk to walk around them. After two days of rain and cold, this afternoon the sun came out, and there were a lot of people out on the streets. Maybe twice as many as I'm used to seeing.

I walk in alleys when I can, but that's not everywhere. Also, there were a lot of people in the alleys with their children. But even in our neighborhood, only about a block from the house, there was a knot of people with a couple of kids playing ball hockey, and they looked surprised as I tried to navigate a path between them and the kids in the street. One older man who was out in the street with a hockey stick with the kids looked sheepish as he realized that they were, between them, blocking the entire street.
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:00 pm
@Setanta,
I’ll tell you what. I do like to go out for a ride in the car.
I go to the post office most days and I find myself driving the long way around there and back.
Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:14 pm
@chai2,
Cabin fever in the spring . . . crazy, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:06 am
Just heard on the radio that more than one million Australians have been thrown out of work. It's going to get rough all over. All my best wishes for the Wabbit and her fellow citizens.
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:22 am
@cherrie,
Oh no! Can you be tested ASAP?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:23 am
@chai2,
About what you are saying about people not distancing.

Did you know that if you click on the blue name above a reply it takes you to the post that is being responded to?
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:25 am
@Setanta,
Oh yeah. It’s going to be rough everywhere.
0 Replies