0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:35 pm
@Borat Sister,
Wow, that's a MacGyver type answer. Very clever Bunny
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:36 pm
My book group is driving me slightly crazy.

I think it would be easy for us to meet virtually using technology

Some in the group are technophobes and conspiracy theorists.

Some think that meeting with chairs farther apart, inside, is ok. This is contrary to latest government decision.

One wants to use email. I think even typed chat is too much for some.

I have said I won’t be meeting face to face...encouraging some sort of virtual meeting.

I’ll go with email if that’s the best we can do.

I’m not sure how the technophobes are going to go. I guess they’ll use phones? Or just continue as they usually do?

chai2

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:38 pm
I almost had a crisis.

about 15 years ago I bought this clock on a whim at some kind of home store.
It was on clearance for something like 2 dollars.
I bought it because the clock was encased in a metal outline of a cat.

When Otis would lounge on the other side of the room, I could hold the clock up and his head exactly fit in the opening area of the metal cats head.

Well, you can just imagine the joy that would bring me.

The clock....stopped working. I was undone.

Luckily, I had the presence of mind to look up 3.5" clock inserts on ebay. Now, including shipping and tax, I'm about 18 dollars poorer, but the clock will be running by March 31.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:39 pm
@Borat Sister,
I dont like groups on cells, th members are always "stepping on each other" and then having to repeat a lot
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:42 pm
@Borat Sister,
I have a zillion books. Can I find one that I want to read? Seriously!

This is like the perennial wardrobe full, nothing to wear bullshit.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:43 pm
@chai2,
Yay! These things are IMPORTANT!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:45 pm
@farmerman,
Alternatives?

Not that this lot will agree to any video options or chat options, I’m pretty sure.

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 08:59 pm
@Borat Sister,
skype. It doesnt solve the stepping on each other, but it allows you to set rules like

1Dont just speak up whenever you feel like it.

2If you want to speak hold up a card on a stick (like a bidders paddle at an auction). The chair will recognize those who want to speak in order. OR , if the interruption still gos on, the chair can just blank out the screen of the one who is interrupting.

e do this for our library board and it works just fine. The meeting goes on for a fixed time then we click off with any last items that the secretary records and ubmits to the board members after the meeting and to add or delete for the next.

Works out ok for us
Skype has a low learning curve.Its not hard for me so anybody can do it.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, as I said, I suggested that.

I think most will refuse to consider that.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:26 pm
@Roberta,
No matter what you think about Lennon, he had a fascinating life, particularly in early, pre-fame Beatles.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 07:59 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

need to find a teddy bear or something similar to put in the window for kids to spot on a sort of modified scavenger hunt being set up - individual families walk with kids - kids note interesting/weird/fun things they see. that's on top of the daily ássignment' for kids to draw specified things to post on window - for other kids to spot

That is so sweet. People are good.

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:22 am
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Yeah, as I said, I suggested that.

I think most will refuse to consider that.

My 2 favorite sister in laws live just a few miles away from each other in Florida.

Neither one of them text. 99% of the reason they don't is that one SIL's wife is convinced "adding that service" would cost "an arm and a leg" This woman is seriously cheap and a control freak.

All 3 were visiting a few months ago, and it did no good to explain to them it doesn't work that way (at least not anymore).
Since they're not familiar with it, they don't realize how much in touch it would keep them with the rest of the family, and their friends.

At one point the SIL that's married to cheapie was intrigued by our Netflix. She couldn't believe it when I said you get all these hundreds of shows and movies for like $15/mo. I even told cheapie they could try it for free for 2 weeks.
But then she finds out they would have to purchase a bluray or something. She looked askance when I said they could by a cheap one at Best Buy for less than $50.

It's almost needless to say none of these 3 woman are in any financial straights. One is a retired teacher of 30 plus years, one is a retired postal worker, and the other is way more than well off.

Fear of change.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:28 am
@Joeblow,
We are doing kids painting stones and putting them around the community. There’s a community Facebook page to put photos up when you find them.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:29 am
@chai2,
Fear of change and political objections I think
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:34 am
@Borat Sister,
sounds a little bit like "geocaching" except that ith geocaching e make up maps or give GPS coordinates and land features. Theres always a bit of a icovery and a"treasure at the end"

It too is fun for beginning "pioneers"
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:42 am
@farmerman,
That would be an interesting addition.

Schools are still open but lots of parents who are able to are keeping kids home and schooling them. Maps etc would be very educational
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:01 am
A friend just sent me a video of him "showing you, like all the douchebag celebrities, how I'm spending my isolation"

Then he alternates between bench pressing a "COVID 19 approved gallon of white vinegar" and eating trail mix.

"Take that, Hollywood"
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:53 pm
I work for what is considered an essential service but they are emptying out the office building and I am home with computer, multiple screens, phone over internet and even my office chair. The cat is not amused.

Farmerman do you own sheep shears ? Maybe your wife could give you a trim :-)
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 05:17 pm
@Tai Chi,
yes (sorta) but we are in manic hand washing modes and the sheep shears are all in a "seasonal cabinet" over on another guy's farm (three of us share lotsa sheep stuff rather than everybody buying their own. You have to be here to understand .I have all the run-in gathering pens (my barns are bigger)and also hoof Clipping "Squeezes" that kinda remind you of a Teeter Hang Up crossed with a medieval Iron Maiden. By sharing and group buying all this stuff ve saved thousands between us all .We learnt that from the AMish who keep all their church benches and tables in a horse drawn " Amish 18 wheeler". They ferry the benches and stuff to the Church members residence where the twice monthly "house services" are held

Anyway. Shes gonna trim my gross grungy growing mullet before cops arrest me for just looking skanky.