A Parlour for a Plague

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 06:54 am
@farmerman,
You can’t be close enough to anyone to get a haircut. Your hairdresser would have to throw a lit match onto your head from six feet away and spray water on you at the perfect moment for a hip style.

Your wife could bowl-cut it. Like a revival of the Beatles.

I have another great solution. Throw SPAM on your head, throw a hungry weasel on your head and see what’s left when the weasel gets full.

Could be a trendsetter, but I’m leaning toward bowl-cut.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:13 am
Ever since I paid off my mortgage I have donated Mondays to cleaning up the stretch of street that includes the entrance to the neighborhood, the bank of mailboxes, and a sidewalk to the school. As of today I suspended these efforts for at least two weeks and maybe longer. Likely we are just entering the worst days for most of us. I'm tightening my isolation.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:35 am
@edgarblythe,
I've taken an incredible amount of weight off in the last three and a half years by a more careful diet, but above all, by taking a long walk every day and several short walks.

In Ontario, we are being told to practice "social distancing," meaning to leave at least two yards between you and everyone you see on the street. After the last few days, I've taken to walking the alleys because people just aren't doing this. Yesterday, as I walked home from my long walk, I reached a stretch where there was no alley to use. A woman pushing a stroller was approaching, so I walked up a drive way to be sure to leave well over two yards. She smiled and mouthed the words "thank you." I was surprised, but I smiled and said: "You bet." Strange days.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 07:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Amish are out there breaking ground already so They will be planting two corn crops and , if the rains are neither too much nor too little, they should have an abundant field corn year.The later season crop is ut at a time when both the cob and the stalk are loaded with sugars and with a good mix with alfalfa, will crate a silage that cows , horses and swine love and benfit from.

Drove through PA on my ride to and from my daughter's college - 81 and 78 so I did see the farmers out. But all the rest stops were closed except just allowing trucks to park.

Not that I was about to stop at those virus laden rest areas any way -- just an observation. My only stops for rest room reasons were at a high end hotel. Best decision - it was dead only a handful of cars and silence in the large lobby - the woman at the desk directed us to the bathrooms and you could tell not one had been used since it was cleaned - perfect spot -- we had sanitizes with us any way to be safe.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 12:20 pm
@farmerman,
time for your wife to get out the pinking shears eh
__

looking at Set's hair. trying to figure out if it's long enough to braid or do dreads. I won't use beads.

I had my annual end-of-winter I hate my hair event and took the scissors to it about three mornings in a row. It's still longish but good that we're self-isolating as one side is a bit oops! I had planned to get it evened out after spring started but salons are not considered essential services.

Good thing I stopped colouring my hair about 3 years ago. The agony of going from scarlet to platinum is behind me.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:28 pm
@Setanta,
I’m so lucky to live in an area where it is easy to get to beaches and other areas where you can easily walk a long way from other people.

We had a beach walk yesterday and the day before I walked to the beach and back

I have to go to post office today. Be interesting to see how things are going at the shopping centre

How is everyone staying sane?
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:30 pm
@Linkat,
Can’t get sanitizer here for love nor money!

I’ll have to figure out how to get ingredients for making my own.

I use soap at home, but I’d like sanitizer for when I’m out
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:32 pm
@Borat Sister,
Well, the girl and I murdered one of the neighbor's kids--we're fairly certain no one saw us.

I've got a stack of books. Reading is always my default activity. The Girl has been reading, too. Right now, she's playing a game on the tablet . . . my tablet . . .
chai2

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Well, the girl and I murdered one of the neighbor's kids--we're fairly certain no one saw us.

I got one tied up in the mud room.

Not sure what I'm going to do with her yet.

Wait....I hear a buncha stuff being knocked off shelves back there. I'll be back in a jiff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:46 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:
We had a beach walk yesterday

locally, you are only allowed to walk with people you share housing with

lots of waving at neighbours

need to find a teddy bear or something similar to put in the window for kids to spot on a sort of modified scavenger hunt being set up - individual families walk with kids - kids note interesting/weird/fun things they see. that's on top of the daily ássignment' for kids to draw specified things to post on window - for other kids to spot
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:41 am
@Setanta,
I don’t think murdering children is an encouraged way to stay sane....unless we are sending them to other countries to murder there.

I just had gin and tonic with neighbours....the host has a 1.5 meter rod so we kept the requisite distance. We bought our own glasses and sat outside.

I had to go to the shops. Bought stuff for neighbours. Still no toilet paper or hand sanitiser. No plain flour.

Books. Don’t talk to me about books! What shall I read? I want something engrossing, not too demanding but not trash.

Finished A Very English Scandal which was fascinating. Now watching a vampire series! Amongst other things.

Viola is hunting for a mouse she brought into my bedroom last night and lost. She is not finding it. This is not sanity inducing. I think there is a family of mice living under my fridge. Viola appears to be catching them one by one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:49 am
Poor Viola . . . she's smart, though, she's spacing out her fun.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 07:05 am
@Setanta,
Not poor me or poor mice?
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:26 am
@Borat Sister,
Mice are poor by their nature. As for you, you're on your own, I can't afford to help you with that.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 09:37 am
@Setanta,
Afford? How ungallant! Am I not supposed to stand on a chair, squealing in terror, while a strong man takes care of the mice?
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 10:02 am
@Borat Sister,
Uhm . . . whether or not you squeal is up to you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 10:06 am
@Borat Sister,
Rubbing alcohol or ethanol cleaner (NOT METHANOL PLEASE BE SAFE). ( you can even use a cheap strong moonshine)

Mix with glycerine to about 75% by vol.

I can tell ya how to make glycerine from bacon fat but yer cleaner is gonna smell like a BLT.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 10:07 am
@Borat Sister,
Mice are good eatin. Ever eat one?

.>me neither
roger

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 02:38 pm
@farmerman,
After they've been toyed with by the cat? Thanks, but no thanks.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 04:49 pm
@farmerman,
Not yet. But it may come to using them as toilet paper