Torn between two jobs, feeling like a fool.....

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:50 pm
The next new thing, shower phones!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:00 pm
I spoke to Deb and didn't notice an accent at all! What are you all talking about?

Well - late here - but finally caught up with the news! Congrats!

Nice in Sin City for a holiday this time of year. And your birfday approaches Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:01 pm
How's the new job working out, Deb?

I saw you post on another thread, started thinking about time differences, started thinking about time of day people post, starting thinking about work hours, started thinking about work, started thinking about your work, started thinking about your new job and ended up remembering this thread. Scary ain't it? Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:11 pm
Nah. Not scary at all. It is one of the features of the human brain I most enjoy!

I am enjoying the walk very much, though I may have overdone it a bit, cos I am suddenly very sore.

I like some of the people quite a lot, I think. All are certainly very professional and committed.

I miss the particular brand of intellectual liveliness and humour where I came from, but it is always hard being new, eh?

Few clients, as yet, because the program I comprise was in abeyance for over a year. I expect a flood soon, so I suspect I shall soon be back to my old, frazzled and exhausted self, although I daare to hope not.

At present am exhusted only by getting used to so much exercise, and looking thinner and very well, I am told!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lol - ask Craven, Dyslexia and ehBeth!!!!

Hmmm what about you have you forgotten? Embarrassed
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
At present am exhusted only by getting used to so much exercise, and looking thinner and very well, I am told!

so wow!! hot tamale Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:23 pm
Sounds... er.... kinda good, kinda ok? I think that's about right for a big change.

I remember when I made a job change after 12+ years. I went from knowing the inside inside-out to not having a clue who the players were, what the politics were and whether or not I belonged. It was a rough first year.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:28 pm
Indeed.

And going from a lynch pin, who was either very close to everyone, or who had worked out a reasonable accommodation with a couple of folk to "who knows what they think of me?"

I tend to be very honest and frank, too, and to say what I think, which is fine when everyone knows you, but needs to be tempered with new people until you work out what's what.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:34 pm
The lynch pin thing will happen in good time. Getting more clients will be a good thing. Staying busy with work helps avoid the b.s. going on around you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:23 am
It's interesting to me how generally bright people can be so different in different batches, different environments. One or more creative minds can change a lot of social chemistry, or be shut down by general (erm) rigidity. Or not. It is fascinating to see group shifting with introduction of new forces.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
dlowan
Our dlowan is not genetically designed to fail in making herself welcome and loved in her new environment. But only if she behaves and hides the fact that she is a king-size smoking wabbit.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:23 pm
ossobuco wrote:
It's interesting to me how generally bright people can be so different in different batches, different environments. One or more creative minds can change a lot of social chemistry, or be shut down by general (erm) rigidity. Or not. It is fascinating to see group shifting with introduction of new forces.

Yep. And there is always some pain and discomfort for the new group.

As well as for the old. My leaving has, of course, affected the culture in the old group, and that is causing some discomfort there, and possibly some comfort!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:26 pm
Do you find the daily walks are helping with your energy levels?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
They were, but I may have overdone it a wee tad not building up slowly enough cos I've suddenly gone a bit floppy.

But also, I was aching and feverish, so I think I was fighting off a bit of a virus.

Hopefully Monday will bring vim and vigour with it again!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:50 pm
During your enforced down time you might have a little talk with your immune system about speedy response to alien invasion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:31 pm
Oy veh!

Here be a new thing to come to terms with.

Truly, I thought my working life had allowed me to deal with the worst that humans can do to each other.

But here, when I am staffing the intake function, there be ongoing wee babes who have been hurt and even killed from time to time.

Now, I have dealt with this before, but not constantly.

Well, it is not constant now, and I do not have to investigate it meself.

But the piccies in the mind are not pretty.

Ah well, the defences shall rise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:33 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
During your enforced down time you might have a little talk with your immune system about speedy response to alien invasion.

I think the walking is helping, although, mind you, the middle of the city in rush hour may not mean that I am imbibing the most healthful of air! And imbibe of the air I do, and a lot of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:39 pm
I'm sorry about what you deal with on intake - that it happens, I mean, and then that you are involved..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:46 pm
Baby batterers. Ugh.

I understand a high percentage of these creeps were abused themselves as children.

Ugh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:08 pm
They are pretty tragic people, when you get up close and personal.

It is infinitely sad.

So many of the babes have healed and halfhealed fractures, and evidence of prior assault in their weeny brains.

It is hard to think of them in their cribs, in pain, with nobody to help but those who also hurt. And nobody those who also hurt feel they can call on to help...

But hey, the world is full of suffering, no?
0 Replies