Torn between two jobs, feeling like a fool.....

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:35 pm
Infinitely sad.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
Very much so.

It's hard to fathom the unfathomable.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:05 pm
dlowan wrote:
But hey, the world is full of suffering, no?

A little less so, thanks to people like yourself.

(((HUGS)))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:40 pm
I agree.

People who do help are often overwhelmed by those they can't make a difference on, and more depressing, those they do to no damn avail.

Nothing to say, Dlow, except we thank you. And try to keep our eyes out on our end.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:02 am
Lol! Don't thank me. I amn't saving the wee infants! I'm just triaging 'em and getting the poor wee mites assessed and being pushy about their safety - and only when I am on intake.

I am working with little kids what puts their bits and bobs and fingies and such where they shouldn't oughter!

I think I will end up with the wee infants and their mummies and the odd daddy at some point, though.

I'll prolly get a bit of a chance to do some of that work here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:26 am
On thanking, I mean in general and not in a sugary way.
Better I should be quiet.

Do you have no interest at all if anyone outside your helping community supports you, or do you all take all the support as some cloudy smiley flume? (which I could understand).

Whatever, you have my regard.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:29 am
That's an interesting question, actually.

It's funny, but you can really only talk about work with other people who do similar, which is, I guess, common in other areas, for reasons of boredom?

Thing is, my trade union, and other political activist, friends talk ad neaueum about their work, but I am seen as being way too black if I mention the littlest bit of mine. Or not me, necessarily, but IT.

So, in fact, one is used to functioning without any understanding or aught but the vaguest support (if they do not condemn the work as politically unsound, as per the radical critique of therapy, which has its points, but not especially good ones, I think) from nonwork friends.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
I have some limited understanding, and plenty of support. Even this:

Quote:
I'm just triaging 'em and getting the poor wee mites assessed and being pushy about their safety

is something, and a significant something. Being pushy especially.

I worked with a lot of people who were bored/ burnt out/ never meant to get into the field/ whatever, who would do what the job description required (usually) and not one iota more.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:46 pm
Hmmm I am way lucky, I think. Except for one place a bit, I have always worked in places where people, no matter how exhausted and destroyed, cared passionately.

Truly, I don't know how much longer it can last.

Where I was before has experienced at least a doubling in client numbers, prolly more, over the last 10 years, and demands and expectations and scapegoating have gone way up, and there are actually less staff.

I actually think it is beginning to kill people.

Hmmm again. I make myself really think I need to be aiming utterly intently at infant mental health, where you get more preventive bang for your erg, given all that.

Lol, we all want some kind of legacy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:26 pm
Dlowan--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:31 pm
I would if I could find it.

I don't think I've seen it since it since Whitlam.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
Will it come for a whistle?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:53 am
Nope.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:51 pm
Wind will come for the right whistle and so will a fickle man.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:38 pm
I have had enough of fickle men, I would like a nonfickle one now, please.

What do they come for?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:40 pm
Eternal Love with a Time Limit.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 06:35 pm
Oy!!!

Here is a weird new two job dilemma.

A job has been advertised which is, in some ways, one I would love.

It's in Infant Mental Health, it includes training and clinical leadership, mentoring and supporting less experienced staff.......

Minuses....almost no clinical work, having to work with nurses again (sorry to all the wonderful and fabulous nurses in the world, and I have loved working with many nurses, but there is this whole aggrieved passive aggressive thing that goes on with a passel of nurses, and I know some of the ones at this place are like that)

But...here's the big, weird thing.

This is the job that my friend who has just discovered she has matastases has just resigned from.

It just feels kind of wrong to go for it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 06:58 pm
Oooooof!

and Ooof again.

I'm trying to imagine talking with her about it...

Did she love the job?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 06:58 pm
...or maybe she would be thrilled that someone GOOD can take over for her.

One of the less pleasant episodes in my life was when a sucky person took over for me in my job when I quit to move/ have the kid. Knowing that someone good was in the position would've been great.

Can you ask her?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:10 pm
Yeah, she liked the job quite a lot.

I don't think I would talk about it with her uness I got the job....I think that would be kind of weird for her...kind of "do you mind if I get your job?"

Thing is, although she is a friend, things got kind of weird when she was the boss where I worked before.....she became incredibly traumatised and wouldn't admit it, and got kind of nasty and odd. She's kind of still angry with all of us, in an odd kind of way.

We have never really been as close since then. The relationship feels sort of fraught.
0 Replies