Torn between two jobs, feeling like a fool.....

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 04:31 pm
Congratulations, I'm very happy for you.

But a little worried... that sounds like a misunderstanding re the 4 weeks and your start date.. as if they didn't hear the 4 weeks plus 2 vacation....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 04:59 pm
Lol - no, they heard what they wanted to hear, I think.

I called them back - and they were NOT happy - but I have the two weeks.

Truth to say, I am a bit of a mess - I cleverly decided to leave something else I was doing volunteer wise (just one of those different policy directions things) with another group of folk (no biggie - but it was just bad timing, I think) right when I am leaving a group of people at work to whom I am deeply, deeply attached and I have kinda whammied myself.

Lol - note to self - next time you make a major life change do NOT make a little one at the same time! I SO already knew that! Though mebbe the sadness about leaving where I am now was always gonna hit? I am a sucker with leaving things - cos of all the drama and losses when i was a wee sprout, no doubt!!!

It is also hard because a number of my current team are also very sad I am leaving, and it has thrown them into a bit of a thing, too!

Others are just making suggestions for the team farewell gift, though - teehee.

Lol again - I think there has been so much drama at work, with people getting cancer and some very nasty external things happening, and the rest of us having to somehow continue to deal with the same number of very seriously at risk people, with a third of the team missing, that we kind of needed SOMETHING for all the stress we have been ignoring, and getting on with stuff, to coalesce around. This seems to be it!!!

We'll all be fine - and I confess that every time a referral comes in now on a borderline adolescent, with all the attendant angst and drama, I heave a sigh of relief and think - "I am just gonna be working with under twelves!"

But I feel a major rat - cos everybody and thir dog needs a senior female therapist - and, due to various factors, for the last few months that has been moi - and ONLY moi. I am leaving the ship with no goddamn deck chairs, it feels like.

And - this means there is nobody to hand clients over to - so I have a bunch of very distressed folk with no secure harbour to dock them into.

And - cos you don't get the same field of candidates for a contract position as you do for a permanent one - I have jumped with no safety net - I will not be taking leave, I am resigning, so, if the decision turns out to suck, I am stuck until I find something else. Still, I think jumping with no parachute is best in this instance.

But I am excited too.

Lord! You dinna ask for no novel! You can tell how discombobulated I am right now - that crap poured out like there was no tomorrow! You poor li'l darlin'! I will stop maundering now.

Oh - and this is the REALLY serious problem - I THINK I HAVE LOST MY FERKING DIARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is horrific. I thought I left it home yesterday - but it is not here.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

I so cannot function without it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 05:17 pm
Dlowan
Dlowan, I just found this thread. I had no idea you had been so ill. Glad you are feeling better now.

It also seems that you've made a good decision for your career. My personal experience is to take jobs that are a stretch for me. Learn new things, etc. That policy has served me well.

I think the most important thing is professional satisfaction. Knowing that you are having a positive impact on children's lives must be very satisfying.

You are one of the special professional people I admire.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Waving with sympathy....

I did'na mind hearing about your mess, and your mates' mess coalescing...

I'm in the throes of change myself and alternate between feeling semieuphoric and chickenshitty.

Was just thinking I need to put a calendar up, I don't even know where my appointment book is...

Hope you run across yours...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 05:35 pm
Your calendar is hiding until it feels your life is more settled.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:33 pm
What do you need with a diary anyway, deb? You've got A2K. All your thoughts, emotions and angst right here (see above.)

Just keep writing posts like that one until the book shows up. Then you can print, cut & paste it into your diary on the appropriate pages.

'K?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
Smiling, eva. Some of us tend to post on kerflooey and kerfluffle after the fact...

but, you're right, a2k can be a sort of diary, for the nonce.

(er, we've already riffed on nonce. I guess I tend to say that.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:44 pm
Lol - I mean WORK diary!@!!

But I found it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:48 pm
Hey, congratulations on the job, dlowan. I love you and hope you are happy there.

I mean "love" only in the supportive, non-sexual, cool kind of way, by the way...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:54 pm
Oh good about the diary!!

What kickycan said.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Thankee - sigh - I had secretly nurtured the hope that both of you had a small kernel of love for me in the naughty, hot, non-non-sexual kind of way!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:36 pm
I can't speak for Soz, but if you have that sexy Olivia Newton John Aussie accent, then trust me, I do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:30 pm
Lol - ask Craven, Dyslexia and ehBeth!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:43 pm
Cheesits, has dys talked with you? (he is closest to hand) - dagnabbit, that IS exciting. Picturing words flowing with accents afflunder.

My ex straightened me out re accents, except it didn't take. He insisted people spoke in dialect and dismissed accents, except in regard to which syllable got the push.
I stared at him in wonder.
Understood, but not entirely.

He had the degrees in this stuff. I still think of people having accents..

Anyway, talking with Dlowan seems cool. I talked with Kara once, for seconds. (forget the details... except that her voice is deep and light and lilting and vibrant. Voice as a gift.)

Mine, on the other hand, zeroes in on monotone. Ok, monotone with sparkles.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:24 am
Just seen this again - updates are allergic to me. Hope the decision works out well - seems you are really taking a step - all the angst and burning bridges as you cross. Venture gain, valour and fortune are words which spring to mind.

Success with the little ones.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:13 am
kickycan wrote:
I can't speak for Soz, but if you have that sexy Olivia Newton John Aussie accent, then trust me, I do.

she does
she does

<who else was in on that Catskills phonecall?>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:50 pm
grr - duplicate post.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:50 pm
Thanks Gozmo.

I spoke to you before that phone call, Beth - YOU rang ME!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:47 pm
I know - that marvellous long call.

I was just trying to think who else was in on the Catskills call that could vouch for that sexy voice of yours. I got called inside during the call ... trying to think who handed the phone over ... Peace and Love? Piffka? seems to me it was one of the dog freaks Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:48 pm
Kix would need to take a long cold shower if he talked to you.
He'd probably have to call FROM the shower.

Cool
0 Replies