Coronavirus

engineer

Fri 25 Jun, 2021 06:56 am
Apparently the vaccines are amazingly effective.

Quote:
An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.
hightor

Sun 27 Jun, 2021 01:40 pm
Cuba's COVID vaccine rivals BioNTech-Pfizer, Moderna

Cuba's health authorities said this week the domestically produced Abdala vaccine has proven to be 92% effective against the coronavirus in clinical trials.
farmerman

Sun 27 Jun, 2021 02:00 pm
@hightor,
I believe they used the spike protein mRNA that was developed through U of Penn. Last weeks NYT had a spiderweb of inter disciplinary function by recherche facilities from all over the world. Even Russia had borrowed some of the spike protein polymer chains
0 Replies

engineer

Sun 27 Jun, 2021 02:12 pm
NC State, the Cinderella team of the College World Series was defaulted from their semifinal game due to Covid. Vanderbilt will play in the final.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 3 Jul, 2021 10:46 pm
Quote:
President Biden has earned high marks for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, but the government’s effort to vaccinate as many Americans as possible continues to face hurdles, including resistance among people who identify as Republicans, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.
WP

June 27-30, 2021, Washington Post-ABC News poll
Region Philbis

Mon 5 Jul, 2021 04:09 am

https://iili.io/ozh2R4.jpg
Glennn

Mon 5 Jul, 2021 05:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Could you cite the report from which tony came to his conclusion?
0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 5 Jul, 2021 07:13 am
BUMP!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Jul, 2021 01:28 pm
Just how much Covid was spreading behind closed doors last year? Quite a lot, as a new study with a simple yet creative approach found out.

Birthday Parties as Virus Vector
Quote:
Private gatherings have been harder for researchers to measure than big public events — they’re private, after all. And there has been a fierce debate for months among epidemiologists about just how big a factor they have been in how coronavirus moved from person to person.

But a team of Harvard researchers used a creative method for finding them: Using health insurance claims data, they looked at the Covid rates of families in the two weeks after one of them had a birthday. Overall, their paper, published in Jama Internal Medicine, found that a recent family birthday increased Covid risk by nearly a third in counties where the virus was widespread.

Their theory is that the increased risk is almost certainly explained by birthday parties. Though the insurance claims don’t show whether any individual Covid patient had actually held a birthday party, several aspects of the data strongly suggest a connection.

For one, when researchers looked at other days of the year by randomly assigning birthdays instead of using actual birthdays, or examined diagnoses in weeks before birthdays, they found no such pattern. But, perhaps more significantly, they found the biggest infection risk in the weeks after the birthday of a child.
[...]
Birthday parties, of course, often involve groups huddling in close quarters, perhaps to watch a child blow out candles on a cake.

The study considered data from last year, when Covid was much more common and fewer Americans were vaccinated. But its conclusions are still relevant for Americans who are unvaccinated today — a group that includes all children under 12. That may be especially true as the new, more contagious Delta variant begins to circulate in more states.
[...]
For many Americans, birthday parties have gotten much safer in recent months. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it’s safe for fully vaccinated people to gather indoors without wearing face coverings.

But for those who remain unvaccinated, the study is a reminder that even activities that feel the most safe pose a threat of infection. In many parts of the country, unvaccinated people are clustered by region or social group, meaning that birthday parties — and other such festive, private occasions — can still be risky.

JAMA Internal Medicine: Assessing the Association Between Social Gatherings and COVID-19 Risk Using Birthdays
0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 5 Jul, 2021 01:42 pm
@engineer,
From your link:
The AP analyzed figures provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC itself has not estimated what percentage of hospitalizations and deaths are in fully vaccinated people, citing limitations in the data.

I guess that kind of sums it up.
0 Replies

mommabear

Mon 5 Jul, 2021 02:48 pm
All I could tell anybody is what I've been doing and how well it's worked out. For about the last year I've been taking zinc , vitamin D, and quercetin tablets, all of which are unregulated and dirt cheap. I've been exposed to people with covid 19 as well as to people who've had the experimental/faux "vaccines", and nothing, not even a common cold.

Autism existed in 1957 but it was so rare that it was always mis-diagnosed, the typical doctor never having even heard of it much less seen it; what we have today is a disaster compared to that. That and the litany of horror I'm now reading regarding the covid vaaccines have turned me into a total anti-vaxxer. In particular the last nation on the face of the Earth that I'd trust to produce any kind of a vaccine for ANYTHING would be the United States of America. I'd sooner takae my chances with whatever the witch doctors in Borneo could come up with. If I were trying to raise children, I'd probably join the Amish or the Mennonites.
0 Replies

mommabear

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 07:41 am
Fauci says you need the vaccine and two masks:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-vaccinated-people-extra-mile-wear-masks-in-areas-with-low-vaccination-rate
Glennn

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:20 am
@mommabear,
Fortunately, tony's been caught lying and violating his own rules in public, thereby exposing the strength of his convictions for what they are--fake. Only the unread and hopelessly naïve still give this guy any credibility.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:39 am
@Glennn,
I am pleased that an internationally recognised virologist and epidemiologist such as yourself puts it so aptly, Glenn.
Glennn

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is what I mean about the hopelessly naïve.

You believe that when your accepted authority figure is caught lying and thumbing his nose at his own recommendation, you need to pretend you didn't see it. Some of us understand what a lack of conviction on that guy's part means about what he's saying.

Why would you feign ignorance of that guy's hypocrisy?

By the way, why did the CDC decide to use a PCR-test cycle threshold of 28 instead of 40+ for the vaccinated. You don't suppose they're trying to make the experimental injection look like it's actually giving you immunity, do you?
farmerman

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:56 am
@Glennn,
Im thinkin back to some guy who proposd drinking bleach and antispetics. Very few of hi ass likkers would even say that it was stupid and dangerous
Walter Hinteler

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:57 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
This is what I mean about the hopelessly naïve.
I only got basic virology informations during my graduate studies.
Might have been naivety that I didn't study medicine and speialise afterwards in virology
Glennn

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 09:00 am
@farmerman,
What does that have to do with tony being a hypocrite and liar?
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 09:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What does that have to do with you putting faith in a hypocrite?
Walter Hinteler

Tue 6 Jul, 2021 09:10 am
@Glennn,
I just wanted to say that I have a lot less knowledge compared to yours to call this/any physician-scientist and immunologist a hypocrite.