Coronavirus

edgarblythe

Fri 14 May, 2021 02:10 pm
I get my second Pfizer shot Thursday.
snood

Fri 14 May, 2021 02:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had two Pfizers. No side effects besides the sore injection site.
edgarblythe

Fri 14 May, 2021 03:23 pm
@snood,
I held out for Pfizer. I didn't feel comfortable about the other two.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 May, 2021 02:04 am
Do people believe Covid myths?
Quote:
University of Cambridge researchers found in an online survey that about 15% of UK respondents thought it was more reliable than not that “the coronavirus is part of a global effort to enforce mandatory vaccination”, while 9% supported “the new 5G network may be making us more susceptible to the virus”. They found the most important factor linked to resilience to misinformation was numeracy. While we are fully aware that correlation is not causation, it encourages the idea that greater “data literacy” in the population could help bring some critical awareness of the dubious claims circulating on social media. In the meantime, research has shown that an effective strategy is to vigorously “pre-bunk” misinformation – essentially inoculating people against fake news by getting in the warnings first.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 20 May, 2021 11:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sweden with highest corona incidence in Europe +++
17.24 h: Sweden has taken the sad lead in new infection figures in the European corona comparison. According to figures updated on Thursday by the EU health authority ECDC, the Scandinavian country with its much-noticed special pathway had a 14-day incidence of 577 per 100,000 inhabitants in the most recent comparison period. This is the highest value of all countries in the European Economic Area, which includes Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein in addition to the 27 EU states. Lithuania (563), Cyprus (522) and the Netherlands (483) follow close behind.

Translated Spiegel report
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 27 May, 2021 04:25 am

Immunity to the Coronavirus may persist for years, scientists find
(nyt)
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 27 May, 2021 09:31 am
We both got our second dose of Moderna last week. Little soreness and swelling and a day of lethargy following the shot, but nothing major.
0 Replies

Wilso

Wed 2 Jun, 2021 10:45 pm
I got AZ first one at about 8pm on Wednesday night. By 8am Thursday morning, felt like I'd been kicked by a mule. Lasted about 12 hours. Fine today. Arm still hurts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 3 Jun, 2021 10:56 am
Zalando, a German multi national E-commerce company (fashion and lifestyle products, 14,000 employees) has gained millions of new customers during the shutdowns. To take a breath, the entire group is taking a week off in August - in addition to the annual leave of 28 to 32 working days.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 9 Jun, 2021 06:34 am

Washington state offering free marijuana joints to those getting the Covid vaccine
(cnn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 10 Jun, 2021 03:20 am
Quote:
US surgeon general warns unvaccinated people are at risk
from a potentially more dangerous Covid-19 variant

As a renewed sense of optimism sweeps the US this summer with lower reported Covid-19 cases,
the US Surgeon General has issued a warning for those not vaccinated: don't let your guard down
quite yet.

"For those who are unvaccinated, they are increasingly at risk as more and more variants develop,"
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy told CNN's Chris Cuomo on Wednesday, specifically citing the
B.1.617.2, or Delta variant
, first identified in India...
(cnn)
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 15 Jun, 2021 03:42 pm
The Novavax vaccine is ready:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/14/health/covid-vaccine-novavax.html

That's probably of more interest to the world outside the US at this point, but it is more stable than mRNA vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna, so it will be quite useful in more impoverished areas of the world where the mRNA vaccines will be difficult to manage.

Instead of having mRNA stimulate the production of protein spikes in our bodies, the Novavax vaccine grows the protein spikes in a lab and attaches them to nanoparticles, which are then administered in the vaccine:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/novavax-covid-19-vaccine.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 18 Jun, 2021 07:17 am

U.S. injects $3.2 billion into COVID-19 research to develop antiviral pill
(source)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 22 Jun, 2021 04:32 am
Leader behind bleach ‘miracle cure’ claims Trump consumed his product
Quote:
Mark Grenon says in interview from prison he gave Trump the product and was the source of Trump’s fixation with disinfectant

The leader of a spurious church which peddled industrial bleach as a “miracle cure” for Covid-19 is claiming that he provided Donald Trump with the product in the White House shortly before the former president made his notorious remarks about using “disinfectant” to treat the disease.

Mark Grenon, the self-styled “archbishop” of the Genesis II “church”, has given an interview from his prison cell in Colombia as he awaits extradition to the US to face criminal charges that he fraudulently sold bleach as a Covid cure. In the 90-minute interview he effectively presents himself as the source of Trump’s fixation with the healing powers of disinfectant.

“We were able to give through a contact with Trump’s family – a family member – the bottles in my book,” Grenon says. “And he mentioned it on TV: ‘I found this disinfectant’.”
[...]
Grenon made his claim that he supplied Trump with bleach solution to Zakariya Adeel, a London-based astrologer and psychic. The interview was conducted apparently over a prison telephone line.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 23 Jun, 2021 06:00 am
Quote:
More than 150 employees at a Houston hospital system who refused to get the COVID-19 vaccine have been fired or resigned after a judge dismissed an employee lawsuit over the vaccine requirement.

A spokesperson for Houston Methodist hospital system said 153 employees either resigned in the two-week suspension period or were terminated on Tuesday.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/houston-hospital-vaccine-resign-fired_n_60d2c6e5e4b0b6b5a15f9d48
Mame

Wed 23 Jun, 2021 06:18 am
@engineer,
That's interesting. We're having that discussion here at the moment, for front-line workers of all types, including schools. I don't know the legalities of making vaccines mandatory these days. I know that all of us my age were not allowed to attend school until we provided an uptodate immunization card. I remember showing it to my kindergarten teacher.
cherrie

Wed 23 Jun, 2021 07:07 am
@Mame,
Something that I find a bit strange is that in Australia flu shots are mandatory if you want to work in aged care, but covid vaccinations are optional. I don't really understand how they are able to make one compulsory but not the other. That seems really odd to me.
Mame

Wed 23 Jun, 2021 07:30 am
@cherrie,
Yeah, that does seem a little odd. Maybe they'll change that, though. On an unrelated topic, I've been reading how China's bans on some of your products are devastatingly affecting your country. Is that what you're hearing?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 01:22 pm
Quote:
New research on third dose of COVID-19 vaccine offers hope
to immunocompromised people

“It may just be that their immune system just needs to see the proteins one more time
in order to get to a level of immunity that people with more intact immune systems can
accomplish with two doses,” said Dr. Dorry Segev, a professor at Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine.
(bostonglobe)
Mame

Thu 24 Jun, 2021 01:53 pm
@Region Philbis,
Well, I hope it works - they could sure use the help. There was talk about everyone maybe getting a booster, anyway, and perhaps even an annual like the flu vaccine.
0 Replies