ehBeth

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
yikes!

oralloy

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 02:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
do you think that kind of tone is going to make anyone think YOU are possibly equipped to handle any task? seriously?

My tone is unrelated to my ability to draw conclusions.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 02:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

The Onion predicted Trump’s suggestion that disinfectants might kill coronavirus

Trump claims he was ‘sarcastic’ in proposing disinfectant injections as coronavirus cure after mass backlash

Quote:
President Trump on Friday walked back his suggestion that coronavirus patients could cure themselves by injecting disinfectants into their lungs, claiming he floated the outrageous proposal “sarcastically” just to “see what would happen.”

Facing pushback from disinfectant producers and Democrats, Trump said his Thursday injection spiel was made in jest as a way to poke fun at “the fake news.”

Quote:
The manufacturer of Lysol, for one, did not consider Trump’s injection comments a laughing matter.

“As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route),” Reckitt Benckiser, the United Kingdom-based owner of the popular disinfectant brand, said in a statement before Trump tried to clean up his comments with the sarcasm defense.

Fox News’ Bret Baier Rejects Trump’s Claim Disinfectant Comment Was Sarcasm: ‘That’s Not How It Looked’
Quote:
Fox News’ Bret Baier isn’t convinced by President Donald Trump’s Friday claim that he was being sarcastic when he suggested ingesting or injecting disinfectants to treat COVID-19.

“Well, that’s not how it looked in the briefing and not how it came across in the briefing,” Baier said of Trump’s Thursday night statements, which he made to Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator, during a press conference.

“What’s problematic for this president is that sometimes he goes on these riffs and when you’re dealing with medical things, statements — when you are riffing from a podium — sometimes that works great on other topics when politics comes into play,” Baier continued. “But when riffing about possible cures or treatments, it didn’t seem like it was coming off as sarcastic when he was talking and turning to Dr. Birx on the side.”
chai2

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 03:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes.
Because I expect the POTUS to make use of irony and jests real COVID.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
yeh. When you have a sickness with presentation similar to the "plague du joure" you get prepared. We bought one of those O2 sensors that you clip on your finger. My wife was the "canary" because with my medication, Metoprolol succinate my O2 saturation is about < 94% when it should be >96%. It keeps my heart rate rather slow so whenI xercise or walk, I dont take up O2 like normal. Hers was always 97 or 98% sat>

In covid , "Silent hypoxia" is a side symptom that has been used as an indicator for using ventilation (Actually just serving upO2 without intubation seems more realistic to me). I understand that now the hospitals have been re-considering ventilators. They are so intrusive and arent really needed.
farmerman

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
China announced a possible vaccine.Its based on an inactivated virus of the SARS -covid-2 virus and, in pre-clinical tests on macaque monkeys has been 100% effective. The company Sinovac biologics is planning oing clinical tests on 100 then 1000 humans in the very near future. They expect results within a few months.
Old fashioned technology is what theyre basing it on and, were we not futzing with drinking swimming pool cleaner and now WIndex and Mineralites, our own scientists coulda been farther down the road. Drs at Jeffereson med in Philly said that the technology is strait forward and even 3rd world countries have lab tech to be able to manufacture this vaccine.
Lets hop or success .
tsarstepan

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 11:34 am
@farmerman,
As Coronavirus Spreads, Poison Hotlines See Rise in Accidents With Cleaning Products
Quote:
From January through March, poison centers received 45,550 exposure calls related to cleaners (28,158) and disinfectants (17,392), the report said, representing overall increases of 20.4 percent compared with the same period in 2019 and 16.4 percent more than 2018.

The authors warned that the actual number of exposures was likely even higher because the data only came from reported calls for help, and some people who were exposed probably did not report their cases to the hotlines.
BillRM

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 01:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Trump is helping kill his own supporters........I love it.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 02:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
https://i.imgur.com/n9CBkGb.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:05 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

yeh. When you have a sickness with presentation similar to the "plague du joure" you get prepared. We bought one of those O2 sensors that you clip on your finger. My wife was the "canary" because with my medication, Metoprolol succinate my O2 saturation is about < 94% when it should be >96%. It keeps my heart rate rather slow so whenI xercise or walk, I dont take up O2 like normal. Hers was always 97 or 98% sat>

In covid , "Silent hypoxia" is a side symptom that has been used as an indicator for using ventilation (Actually just serving upO2 without intubation seems more realistic to me). I understand that now the hospitals have been re-considering ventilators. They are so intrusive and arent really needed.

An Oximeter, aka Oxygen Saturation Monitor should be something everyone owns.

Heh. Just looked online at Amazon and Ebay, and they have jumped on the train of gouging people to some extent or another on buying them.
Last year you could get a highly rated one for about $20, or less.
Now? $30, $40, $50 and higher. Crazy.

It is an excellent investment, not just for now, but any time.
Farmer, I'm sure you don't, but a sat of 94, especially if you're on a med that effects it.
It isn't until you're ill and it gets below 90 does it become a real cause for concern.

You know, with news now how there may have been COVID cases as early as Nov, Dec of 2019, it really makes me think.

I'll preface all this with saying it doesn't make a bit of difference in the world now, and there's no way to tell at this point, but it wouldn't shock me if Kirk actually had COVID and that's what did him in.
I also don't want to come across as wishful thinking or other emotion based "what if's"

I mean yeah, his lungs were shot, the guy was a mess in a lot of medical ways, but dig this...

He went through all the chemo and radiation for his lung cancer. Lost weight because the radiation was over his sternum and caused epsophagus burns and a lot of pain. But, when it was all over, right on schedule the burns started getting better, he started eating. When we went back after, I forget 2 or 3 weeks? to see how he did, both the oncologist and the radiologist said the results were much better than anticipated, and they were full steam ahead for starting immunotherapy.
Let's see. He got his first immunotherapy, no side effects. We saw the oncologist maybe 5 days after that, and we both told the dr he had developed this weird cough.
Dr listened to his lungs and said "You sound clear as a bell" His exact words. "But", he continued, go next door and get a chest exray, because we need to be proactive.

Through out all of this, before and during treatments, his O2 sats were fine. always 92 and above, I'd say half the time over 97.
First thing in the morning, on a Saturday, the doctor on call for oncology said he was looking at the Xrays, and saw "lung infiltrates" which he said meant, basically, pnuemonia. Not uncommon for Kirk. Dr said go to the ER so they could access, and he was calling ahead right now to have him admitted. Considering everything, they wanted to immediately as he said "Get ahead of this" This was Dec 21.

The point is, he was walking, talking, breathing with no problems. He walked out of the house with me feeling dandy. He never came home again.
Laughing and joking, getting hooked up to IV antibiotics, ordering double dinners because he was hungry. Looking forward to Christmas.

I think it was about 48 hours later that everything fell apart, like quickly, meaning like immediately. O2 levels always low, sometimes plummeting to "incompatible with life" levels, and all the rest of it that I've already written about.
So 21 days after his lungs when to hell in a handbasket, he was gone.
The doctors and staff were amazing. When I would talk with them, asking yet again, what was it that was causing this, all they could pinpoint was that his lungs were inflamed, nothing they were giving him was helping, etc. No cancer present. One ICU nurse told me "He's much worse than he looks" They all knew I wanted the straight story.

Anyway, like I said, it doesn't make any difference, but looking back from where we all are today. It does make me muse about it.

farmerman

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:10 pm
@chai2,
I know. eve been reliving our experience and some of the what ifs also. Tht more information than youve spilled on us before and I hope that you got yourself checked out > We started to red some notes to my cardiologist (as someone whod maybe have a better idea).
Frustrating as hell aint it.
Medical science is so fucked up with roadblocks and prescribed procedures that I wonder where the medicine starts and the rules of law end
chai2

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:05 pm
@farmerman,
I just started thinking about that in the last few days. As far as I can remember I never felt ill.

I'm going for my annual on May 11. I'll mention this to her.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
...Metoprolol...O2 saturation < 94%...

Interesting. I take metoprolol too, my O2 tends to be a 98%. Of course, there are also 3 other meds entering into my system daiky, so one of them might be what keeps me at the higher level.
farmerman

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 06:03 am
@Sturgis,
Im one of those who reacts to Metoprolol sulfate. Im in the process of switching to Metoprolol succinate. It reportedly doesnt have the O2 saturation issues as the first.

farmerman

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 08:52 am
@farmerman,
Just lookd at some research notes. Quinapril ,an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) marketed as ACCUPRIL has shown significant positive palliative effects in dealing with the more serious (lethal) symptoms of covid-19.
Theyve moved it to clinical double blind tests. Apparently older patients that have been taking ARBs for blood pressure control have had fewer serious effects from covid (when they are infected).

Setanta

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 09:14 am
@farmerman,
That sounds like good news. They must not have told Plump yet.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 10:13 am
@Setanta,
A good news, too, is that dolphins are back in the Bosphorus, since maritime traffic in Bosporus has plunged in recent weeks due to ongoing COVID-19 outbreak and due the lockdown fishing is halted.

Seeing dolphins in Istanbul's Bosphorus while crossing ferrying by, has become quite common over the last few years. But dolphins are rarely sighted so close to Istanbul's shores.

https://i.imgur.com/oe6jD9i.jpg

Dolphins reclaim Bosphorus as virus silences Istanbul

0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 10:01 am
@Setanta,
hell, he would have his financial guys invest in Accupril as hes been invested in Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 10:25 am
There has been an amazing increase in wildlife sightings here in Tranna. Someone on FB had a photo and vid of a vixen with four or five kits. A friend of ours posted a photo of a fox or vixen walking along the top of the fence around the backyard. People have been posting about seeing deer far more than in the past. It reminds me of when wolves were re-introduced to Yellowstone Park. They had been hunted out in the 1920s, but when they were re-introduced in 1995, the effect was amazing.

Quote:
Wolves were once the top predator in America’s world-famous Yellowstone National Park. But the population was eradicated in the 1920s, leaving the wilderness wolf-free for seven decades.

In 1995, however, wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone; this gave biologists a unique opportunity to study what happens when a top predator returns to an ecosystem.

They were brought in to manage the rising elk population, which had been overgrazing much of the park, but their effect went far beyond that. In this film, The Nature Conservancy’s lead scientist Dr M Sanjayan, Dr Valerie Kapos of the UN Environment Programme and animal behaviourist Kirsty Peake describe how the returning wolves dramatically changed the park’s rivers, forests – and the landscape itself.

How reintroducing wolves helped save a famous park
(watch the vid)

This makes me wonder what benefits we might see if wildlife returns to ecosystems in which their absence has been the most noticeable.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 27 Apr, 2020 11:01 am

The effects of reduced human activity might wildlife. Will we recognize it? Will we take steps to reap the possible benefits?