Coronavirus

chai2

Tue 21 Apr, 2020 07:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh thanks!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 22 Apr, 2020 02:50 am
Washington State is 50% male they say, but so far of those that the BUG OUT OF CHINA has taken 55% have been male.

This is so not fair, where can I go to file my charge that an "ism" is taking place?

Why do so few seem to care that this bug is harder on males?

It is now by current definitions our turn to be the victim.

Fair is Fair
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 05:56 pm
Trump speculated in a stream of consciousness on the Nightly Trump Feel Good 2 Hours, to combat Covid-19 perhaps cleansers/disinfectants could be injected into people to clean up what might ail them. If you have a big bottle of Mr. Clean, don't use it on yourself....don't bake yourself in tanning beds, do not stuff ultraviolet lights in your orifices or try any of the things that Dr. Frankenstein suggested while spitballing possible cures (like the kind you would have seen in 1950's comic books). Hold out for actual medical, advice from people who actually graduated from medical school....
roger

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:08 pm
@glitterbag,
No Clorox in the veins? What will you come up with next?
glitterbag

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:40 pm
@roger,
You will have to wait until tomorrow, we will all be on tenterhooks until then.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 06:55 pm
Now that they are saying that there were some cases in the US much earlier than previously known, I'm wondering if I've already had it.

I went to see a symphony orchestra perform on February 2nd. About ten days later I had a cold with a high fever. It only lasted for 12 hours.

If a reliable antibody test becomes available, I should go get tested to see if I'm already out of danger.
edgarblythe

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 07:51 pm
@roger,
Philip Gourevitch
@PGourevitch
·

Death toll tops 50,000.
Unemployment tops 20%.
President suggests mainlining lysol.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 09:23 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Now that they are saying that there were some cases in the US much earlier than previously known, I'm wondering if I've already had it.

I went to see a symphony orchestra perform on February 2nd. About ten days later I had a cold with a high fever. It only lasted for 12 hours.

If a reliable antibody test becomes available, I should go get tested to see if I'm already out of danger.

Oh, now suddenly you are concerned about cover-19???? You must be a first responder or someone else vital to the operation of society if you think you need a test. Get in line.
ehBeth

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:12 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

eventually everybody should be tested. if you truly think you might have had covid and recovered quickly, they are looking for folks like you in a number of jurisdictions, as a truly infected/recovered person may have antibodies that can save others lives. If you were in Ontario, you'd get a phone interview to see if you should have a rush test re antibodies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:13 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
You must be a first responder or someone else vital to the operation of society if you think you need a test. Get in line.

if they have recovered, they may have valuable antibodies and would be moved toward the front of the line here. people with those antibodies ARE vital.
glitterbag

Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:28 pm
@ehBeth,
That's true, they may be valuable and I think that's very important. I just have zero patience for people who mock the efforts the entire world is making to rid ourselves of this terrible plague..then after a few months want on get on board without even a slight acknowledgment that maybe the doctors have a better handle on this than Dr. Donald Frankenstein,.

You are apparently a much more patient person than I, I would just like to smack him and ask him 'what took you so long?.

But, welcome aboard oral
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 02:40 am
@glitterbag,
These days, people who otherwise only go public with scientific essays and textbooks are suddenly in the spotlight. Whether virologists, immunologists or forensic doctors: for all of them, daily updates, discussions with politicians and press conferences are not part of their normal working day. And they should not be. Whenever possible, scientists need to be rested to examine, weigh up and debate.

But this is exactly what is missing in times of global crisis. Suddenly, something happens that previously seemed incompatible with the much-vaunted "good scientific practice": Preliminary study results are stabbed through journalists, politics is made with uncontrolled pre-publications, so-called pre-prints, and in vaccine research, human experiments are started without any prior animal testing.

Two ethicists from the USA and Canada now raise the problem of this acceleration in a new study published in the renowned journal "Science". In view of the fact that almost 2000 Covid-19 research projects are currently registered, they emphatically warn against disregarding global standards in the international competition for the development of drugs and vaccines. In the initial phase of the pandemic, a particularly large number of poorly designed and biased studies were published prematurely. And research is still so strongly guided by public interest that the risk of false positive results is enormous.

Science: Against pandemic research exceptionalism
Quote:
Abstract
Crises are no excuse for lowering scientific standards

... ... ...
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 04:49 am

I dont know if any of you remember when I complained about being down for a few days back in Feb. Mrs F and I were headachy coughing with fevers
They classed it as an RSV (which is fancy name for Croup) but the symptoms and the presentation of RSV and covid are rather similar.

My wife and I both had it and I blamed it on a field trip but in retrospect, I was at a meeting in DC late in January where there were several researchers who were recently in Asian countries and two guys who did exploration through China and were on a partnership with us and one of their "companies"
I called my GP Monday and explained. She was going to get in touch with the hospital we were at and see their testing results and perhaps we will be invited to get tested to see whether we have antibodies and maybe be useful in some antibody harvesting.
What bothers me is that, unknowingly, we could have been agents of infection for two months, cause they are not really certain how long someone sheds the virus.

If these antibody palliative vaccines show promise I assume we could be "antibody oil wells", if e show some.

I guess we will be asked to take antiboy tests.
AND STAY THE **** HOME!!
farmerman

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 04:56 am
@farmerman,
I did call the dept chair at school and he had contacted the students on the field trip whether anyone had reported covid. Also my doc will probably want a contact list so we made one from our memories and Mrs F's phone calendar. We were out to dinner several times during the pre "flu" time and isolation period, and we went to a museum show in Philly. All before We became ill

0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 05:18 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Oh, now suddenly you are concerned about cover-19????

I was taking it seriously a good month before you were taking it seriously.

glitterbag wrote:
You must be a first responder or someone else vital to the operation of society if you think you need a test. Get in line.

Leave the drawing of conclusions to those of us who are equipped to handle the task.
oralloy

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 05:19 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
if they have recovered, they may have valuable antibodies and would be moved toward the front of the line here. people with those antibodies ARE vital.

Do they pay people for donating those antibodies? Or do they expect people to give them away for free?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
tsarstepan

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 01:50 pm
The Onion predicted Trump’s suggestion that disinfectants might kill coronavirus

Trump claims he was ‘sarcastic’ in proposing disinfectant injections as coronavirus cure after mass backlash

Quote:
President Trump on Friday walked back his suggestion that coronavirus patients could cure themselves by injecting disinfectants into their lungs, claiming he floated the outrageous proposal “sarcastically” just to “see what would happen.”

Facing pushback from disinfectant producers and Democrats, Trump said his Thursday injection spiel was made in jest as a way to poke fun at “the fake news.”

Quote:
The manufacturer of Lysol, for one, did not consider Trump’s injection comments a laughing matter.

“As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route),” Reckitt Benckiser, the United Kingdom-based owner of the popular disinfectant brand, said in a statement before Trump tried to clean up his comments with the sarcasm defense.
ehBeth

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 01:59 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Leave the drawing of conclusions to those of us who are equipped to handle the task.

do you think that kind of tone is going to make anyone think YOU are possibly equipped to handle any task? seriously?

buh bye
ehBeth

Fri 24 Apr, 2020 02:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
You are apparently a much more patient person than I, I would just like to smack him

patience just ran out
0 Replies