Coronavirus

maxdancona

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 08:13 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

But what's really happening is that authorities just don't want all 2 million dead at the same time. "Flatten the curve". All we are doing right now is keeping people secluded so they don't all get sick at once.

People are still going to get sick. People are still going to die all over the world. It will just be over a longer period of time.

Not an inaccurate statement, but a slower rate means the medical system can keep up and if there are respirators and hospital beds and medical personnel available, then the death rate goes down. Part of the problem here is not just the number of cases or the fatality rate, it is how fast the cases peak.

Hmmmmm.... is this correct?

My inexpert understanding is that social isolation can significantly lower the total number of people who die over the course of an epidemic. I believe that this is true even ignoring the fact that overcrowded hospitals raise the death rate.

Can someone provide a link for this?
McGentrix

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
But eventually the people in seclusion will have to come out of seclusion. We are not eradicating the virus, we are merely slowing it's effects (which is GOOD, please don't get me wrong.)

People that are "immune" are carriers and when secluded people come out of seclusion they will be exposed to the virus then.

I think flattening the curve is a good deal, but I don't think people should look at it as a cure. It's merely a stop gap, temporary solution.
maxdancona

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 09:49 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
People that are "immune" are carriers.

I do not believe this is correct. Generally people who are immune are not carriers; they are not able to infect others.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:09 am
@maxdancona,
Perhaps asymptomatic carriers was meant, which is something different to immune.
chai2

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well couldn't someone immune themselves be spreading it to others via touching and contaminating other items that people touch? Droplets can be on their skin, clothes anything they have touched, and spread to others.

Others can deposit the virus in an immune persons mucus membranes, and then be spread by their cough or sneeze.

I mean, it's not like BAM, the virus somehow gets in or on an immune person, and it instantly dies. They can carry it from point A to point B and spread it. Can't they?

BillRM

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:46 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Let's all hope it's not doomsday. In two days, over 1000 people have died in one city. That's not anything like the flu. Not sure why you are so insistent when the numbers are pretty clear. The number of deaths from the flu over the entire 2018-2019 flu season for the entire country was 34,200 per the CDC. NY City had 1000 in two days. One state has seen over 4000 fatalities in just a couple of weeks. We don't want this spreading across the country.

Not like the flu!!!!!!! How in the hell with 60 to 100 thousands deaths in a flu season is it not like the flu except the Flu is not reported with the same panic as this virus.
maxdancona

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:47 am
@chai2,
A person who has the virus is a virus factory. Not only are they "shedding" virus every time they cough or sneeze or talk... they are active creating new virus. That is why they are contagious.

A person who is immune will have to encounter the virus in sufficient enough quantity, then the virus has to survive in sufficient quantity. Then it has to get in their clothes. Then this virus has to get from their clothes to their skin to someone else's skin to someone else's mucus membranes all with dying. During this process the virus doesn't replicate.

That sounds rather implausible. The medical experts are saying that most cases are spread through droplets in the air.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It is also worth noting that even those who survive this suffer from slight to serious cardi0-pulmonary damage. All in all, though, it's a waste of time talking to Bill. Apart from the lack of coherence, he is incapable of giving up the argument.

The death total is not repeat not going to match a bad flu season and the numbers are there for anyone who would like to look at them.
engineer

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:50 am
@BillRM,
What do you think the maximum number of people in NY City that have died in one day from the flu? 5? Maybe 10? You want to compare the deaths from the flu over a year with the deaths over a couple of weeks from a disease that is really just getting started.
Setanta

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:51 am
@BillRM,
Where do you come up with this 60,000 to 100,000 deaths horseshit? By the way, this virus permanently damages the cardi0-pulmonary system, something influenza does not do.

What a maroon. If there are 480,000 deaths, as initially predicted, will you be happy then?
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 10:52 am
@BillRM,
Fine, clown, post a link for your alleged numbers.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 11:03 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
You want to compare the deaths from the flu over a year with the deaths over a couple of weeks from a disease that is really just getting started.
Not only that - there are quite a few different influenza A and B viruses with different "results". (The influenza A - H1N1 virus that emerged in 2009 caused the first global influenza pandemic in more than 40 years.)
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 11:58 am
Turns out the test for the virus produces a lot of false negatives (30%+), mainly because it is so hard to get a good sample.

Article on the challenge: https://slate.com/technology/2020/04/coronavirus-testing-false-negatives.html

Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:02 pm
@engineer,
Seven-year-old Greek piano prodigy pens an 'isolation waltz'
Quote:
Move over Mozart, here comes Stelios Kerasidis. A seven-year-old Greek prodigy has penned an “isolation waltz” inspired by the pandemic.

The hypnotic, fugue-like melody has picked up more than 43,000 hits on YouTube since its launch last week.

“Hi guys! I’m Stelios. Let’s be just a teeny bit more patient and we will soon be out swimming in the sea,” he beams, perched on his piano stool, feet barely touching the floor. “I’m dedicating to you a piece of my own.”

The work, his third composition, was written especially “for people who suffer and those who isolate because of Covid-19,” he adds.

Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The UK's PM Johnson is now moved to intensive care after coronavirus symptoms worsen, Downing Street confirms.
Sturgis

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh my. That's unfortunate.

Who is next in line if he succumbs?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:30 pm
@Sturgis,
In his role as first secretary of state, the prime minister’s de facto deputy, Dominic Raab will stand in for Boris Johnson if he is unable to work because of coronavirus.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 01:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
A No 10 spokesman said:
Since Sunday evening, the prime minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas’ Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistent symptoms of coronavirus.

Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital.

The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the first secretary of state, to deputise for him where necessary.

The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication.

Johnson was moved to the intensive care unit an hour and a half ago.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 02:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I already post those numbers many many times on this website and anyone even you could do so by going to the CDC website.
BillRM

Mon 6 Apr, 2020 03:25 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I will be even kinder then that by telling you to search google or any other major search engine on the text "history of flu deaths in the united states" resulting in such results as So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.Feb 21, 2020