Coronavirus

izzythepush

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 08:37 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Our premier is an idiot,

You're lucky, ours is no way near as intelligent.
Mame

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 09:31 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, I know Smile Well, our Prime Minister just called a snap election two years into his four year mandate with very little change (the top two parties each gained two more seats) at a cost of $620 million. What a gonad.

What's the news over there about the nuclear submarine deal that France was left out of?
roger

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 10:41 am
@Mame,
Sounds like you are learning from us. I don't take much pride in saying that.
Mame

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 11:45 am
@roger,
We've always had a left and right fringe element but it seems these days it's more fanatical, more extreme, and there are more women abuses and racist crimes reported. We've also had a fair number of mass shootings. Minor compared to the States, but still... it's happening. People are angrier and more frustrated and Trump and the pandemic has brought it to the fore. Very sad. Always thinking about where I'd move to. I'm not liking this world very much right now.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 11:53 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Always thinking about where I'd move to. I'm not liking this world very much right now.
Elsewhere also sucks. (As wie say here colloquially: Woanders is auch scheiße!)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 12:00 pm
@Mame,
Johnson has insulted the French Premier in Franglais, something that would appeal to his base, but is hardly statesmanlike.

The real news is the petrol shortage queues at garages because of Brexit and a lack of drivers.
Mame

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 12:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I read this morning that you're also going to be facing a huge price increase and reduction in electricity and other energy sources. How is everyone going to cope with this? Apparently some of the larger energy companies have bought out some of the smaller ones because they can't supply their customers (I read this yesterday). How is the UK going to handle this?
izzythepush

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 01:51 pm
@Mame,
I don't know.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 02:00 pm
@Mame,
None of this was unforseen. Johnson called us all doom and gloom merchants. Doom and gloom wax fight.

I bet Johnson thanks God for Covid every day. It gets the blame for everything.
Mame

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 02:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Here's the article I read about the shortages:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58637094

0 Replies

engineer

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 08:06 pm
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/covid-deaths-caused-alabama-s-population-shrink-first-time-n1279666

For the first time since records have been kept, the population of Alabama declines with more deaths than births in 2020 due to covid.
Mame

Tue 28 Sep, 2021 02:55 pm
@engineer,
Albertans dying from COVID-19 at more than three times the average Canadian rate

It has now been 12 days since the provincial government first introduced a slew of new public health measures and eight days since many went into effect, including the restrictions exemption program — Alberta's version of a vaccine passport system.

Yet the number of new cases continues to grow, and COVID-19 patients — most of them unvaccinated — continue to fill Alberta hospitals. In the seven-day stretch starting Sept. 20, 62 Albertans have died due to the disease.

Nationally, the average COVID-19 death rate per 100,000 people for the last seven days was 0.7, according to online aggregate data from Monday. Alberta's rate was 2.3, while Saskatchewan's was 2.6.

Over the last 14 days, the national average of COVID-19 deaths was 1.2, with 4.1 for Alberta and 4.0 for Saskatchewan.
~~~
Buncha idiots.
Region Philbis

Thu 30 Sep, 2021 03:40 pm

excellent...

YouTube is banning prominent anti-vaccine activists and blocking all anti-vaccine content
(boston globe)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 2 Oct, 2021 10:38 am
Two studies suggest that newer variants of the coronavirus are better at traveling through the air.
Quote:
Newer variants of the coronavirus like Alpha and Delta are highly contagious, infecting far more people than the original virus. Two new studies offer a possible explanation: The virus is evolving to spread more efficiently through air.

The realization that the coronavirus is airborne indoors transformed efforts to contain the pandemic last year, igniting fiery debates about masks, social distancing and ventilation in public spaces.

Most researchers now agree that the coronavirus is mostly transmitted through large droplets that quickly sink to the floor and through much smaller ones, called aerosols, that can float over longer distances indoors and settle directly into the lungs, where the virus is most harmful.

The new studies don’t fundamentally change that view. But the findings signal the need for better masks in some situations, and indicate that the virus is changing in ways that make it more formidable.

“This is not an Armageddon scenario,” said Vincent Munster, a virologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who led one of the new studies. “It is like a modification of the virus to more efficient transmission, which is something I think we all kind of expected, and we now see it happening in real time.”

Increased aerosol transmission for B.1.1.7 (alpha variant) over lineage A variant of SARS-CoV-2

Infectious SARS-CoV-2 in Exhaled Aerosols and Efficacy of Masks During Early Mild Infection
0 Replies

Wilso

Sat 2 Oct, 2021 11:24 pm
Can any of the Americans here explain to me how the same people protesting mask mandates in schools are fine with children doing active shooter drills. I try to remember that the populations of all our nations ate diverse, with an equally diverse range of beliefs and opinions, but seriously. WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOUR COUNTRY?
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Sun 3 Oct, 2021 01:26 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Buncha idiots.

Since it's your fault that people don't trust the vaccine, your complaints lack credibility.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 3 Oct, 2021 06:10 am
@Wilso,
good point. are hoplssly bipartisan with complete hate for each others side. Arguments made by both sides of the aisle are clearly tearing our country apart yet noone seems to give a ****. Read anything by Oralloy or "Truth (something )". They have no concern about what were gonna be like in a few yars ,Then read the more radical left, They ignore facts and just fawn over Biden with almost no concern for our future .

We will, in a decade or less, be disposed by China and I believe, we will be a second tier country with a dangerously big Army Ill be too ol to move to your ountry but Im getting rally annoyed at how we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot just to maintain party ranks.
farmerman

Sun 3 Oct, 2021 06:15 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We're infested with a bunch of nasty progressives
And Oral has taken all mirrors from his party' membeship.
Look at how vil the old Turtl McConnel is an then look at the progressive wing of the Dms.
I wish both radical sides would go up in smoke. They are both minorities yet are the vocal assholes that lead
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 5 Oct, 2021 04:39 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
We will, in a decade or less, be disposed by China and I believe, we will be a second tier country

We're the only free country in the world. That will always make us #1 by default.

Freedom may be intangible, but it is worth more than all the wealth in the world.

farmerman wrote:
with a dangerously big Army

Only dangerous to the bad guys.

Solution: don't be a bad guy.