What an idiot Garrison is!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 7 Sep, 2021 06:07 pm
beth
@bethbourdon
·
3m
went to costco today where a woman took her mask off to sneeze fully unencumbered, and that’s when i knew for sure that we will be in a pandemic for the rest of my life
roger

Tue 7 Sep, 2021 07:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ain't it amazing how some people think they are complying?
edgarblythe

Tue 7 Sep, 2021 07:35 pm
@roger,
Even without a pandemic I try not to sneeze openly like that.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 7 Sep, 2021 09:57 pm
'It's game over. It's mRNA or nothing:' Expert on future of vaccines

Pfizer (PFE) and its partner BioNTech (BNTX) recently got FDA full approval for the most widely-approved and sought after COVID-19 vaccine in the world, to date.

It signals an important change in how vaccines of the future could look, according to Arnaud Bernaert, formerly head of Global Health and Healthcare at the World Economic Forum.

. . .

The potential for mRNA was recognized early. "mRNA vaccines represent a promising alternative to conventional vaccine approaches because of their high potency, capacity for rapid development and potential for low-cost manufacture and safe administration," according to a 2018 article in Nature.

. . .

"If success needs to be defined as a function of the agility of a manufacturer to be able to reposition the DNA template for combating the next variant, I don't think the U.S. and Europe will do anything else but buy mRNA vaccines"

. . .

But the pandemic also arrived after early development hurdles had been overcome for the technology. That included the method of delivery, lipid nanoparticles. And within the timeframe of getting the vaccines authorized, Moderna was first to reduce the storage temperatures needed from ultra-cold to normal freezer temperatures.

. . .

Already, mRNA companies have achieved improving stability at warmer temperatures compared to ultra-cold temperatures for the first doses. For now, however, the process is "crude,"

. . .

Whatever the future holds, mRNA is set to dominate. "Viral vector technologies are going to become obsolete," Bernaert said.

more. . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 8 Sep, 2021 03:26 am
The Covid 19 pandemic is having a catastrophic effect on the fight against other deadly diseases. This was reported by the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Geneva today.

The fund has set itself the task of ending these three epidemics. It invests several billion euros every year in more than a hundred countries. The money comes mainly from governments, but also from the private sector and foundations.

According to the report, in 2020, the number of people treated for drug-resistant tuberculosis fell by 19 per cent in the countries in which the fund invests. The number of people reached by AIDS prevention programmes also decreased by 11 per cent compared to 2019. The number of HIV tests had fallen by 22 per cent, delaying the start of treatment in most countries.

The fight against malaria was not quite as badly affected by Covid-19, it added. However, the number of suspected malaria cases tested decreased by 4.3 per cent.

Global Fund Results Report Reveals COVID-19 Devastating Impact on HIV, TB and Malaria Program
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 8 Sep, 2021 07:36 am
Idaho enacts ‘crisis standards of care’ protocol to battle worsening Covid
Quote:
State warns residents may not get care they would normally expect as case numbers rocket as governor urges people to take vaccine

Idaho public health leaders have activated “crisis standards of care” allowing health are rationing for the state’s northern hospitals because there are more coronavirus patients than the institutions can handle.
[...]
The move allows hospitals to allot scarce resources like intensive care unit rooms to patients most likely to survive and make other dramatic changes to the way they treat patients. Other patients will still receive care, but they may be placed in hospital classrooms or conference rooms rather than traditional hospital rooms or go without some life-saving medical equipment.

At Kootenai Health – the largest hospital in northern Idaho – some patients are waiting for long periods for beds to open up in the full intensive care unit, said Robert Scoggins, the chief of staff. Inside the ICU, one critical care nurse might be supervising up to six patients with the help of two other non-critical care nurses. That’s a big departure from the usual one ICU nurse for one ICU patient ratio, he said.
[...]
Other states are preparing to take similar measures if needed. Hawaii’s governor, David Ige, quietly signed an order last week releasing hospitals and healthcare workers from liability if they have to ration healthcare.
... ... ...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 9 Sep, 2021 01:45 pm
Quote:
The Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is developing a
rule that will require all employers with 100 or more employees to ensure their workforce is fully
vaccinated or require any workers who remain unvaccinated to produce a negative test result on
at least a weekly basis before coming to work. OSHA will issue an Emergency Temporary Standard
(ETS) to implement this requirement. This requirement will impact over 80 million workers in
private sector businesses with 100+ employees
https://www.whitehouse.gov/covidplan/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 10 Sep, 2021 12:52 am
Quote:
Biontech founders expect vaccine for five to eleven-year-olds in a few weeks

The first children under the age of 12 could be vaccinated with Biontech's vaccine in Germany as early as mid-October.

"We will already present the results from our study on five to eleven-year-olds to authorities worldwide in the coming weeks and apply for approval of the vaccine for this age group, including here in Europe," Biontech chief medical officer Özlem Türeci told SPIEGEL. "We are already preparing production. The vaccine is the same, but less highly dosed, and there is less to be filled."

The study results are available and only need to be prepared for the regulatory authorities. "It looks good, everything is going according to plan," Biontech CEO Uğur Şahin told SPIEGEL. By the end of the year, the study data on the younger children from six months onwards are also expected.

At the same time, the two Biontech founders are calling for every effort to be made in the coming weeks to convince people who are still undecided about vaccination.

"We still have about 60 days left as a society to avoid a harsh winter," Şahin said. "We should do what we can to mobilise as many people as possible in these almost two months." Türeci stressed, "Every additional person vaccinated helps. We should not resign."
Translated Spiegel report
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 15 Sep, 2021 12:38 pm

New Hampshire lawmaker switches parties, joining Democrats because of GOP views on vaccines, masks
Quote:
A New Hampshire state representative “reluctantly” switched his party affiliation to Democratic on Tuesday, citing state Republicans’ opposition to masks and coronavirus vaccines.

Rep. William Marsh, a former Republican, said party extremists are edging out moderates like him, and that he had planned to quietly retire but felt his hand was forced by what he called Republicans’ refusal to take reasonable health precautions.

“Politics, I'm afraid, is a team sport,” he told The Washington Post. “You’ve got to work with other people, and if nobody's interested in what you have to say, you might as well go home.”
[...]
Marsh, an ophthalmologist who has served as his town’s health officer for 20 years, said his tipping point was when New Hampshire House Republicans organized a rally Tuesday opposing President Biden’s new vaccine mandates for federal and private sector workers. Marsh has repeatedly identified public health as his top legislative priority.

“It’s not in the interest of the public to allow covid to spread in New Hampshire as it has in Florida,” Marsh said. “I’m a doctor first, so I stood up for my patients and said, ‘I’m done with this.’ And I left.”

... ... ...
Mame

Wed 15 Sep, 2021 03:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Good for him - that takes guts. I hope there's a wave of that. Crossing the floor, I mean.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 16 Sep, 2021 08:17 am
Interesting article on Covid and health care rationing.

Americans are dying because no hospital will take them

Quote:
Rationing has long been a dirty word in US health policy, used as an attack on any socialized health program that more centrally determines which medical services will be covered and for whom. The US health system has always rationed care through cost: It’s de facto rationing when a patient doesn’t get the medical care they need because they can’t pay out-of-pocket costs or because they live in a rural community without a facility nearby.

“We’re so used to rationing by ability-to-pay in this country that classic capacity rationing feels a bit foreign,” Hannah Neprash, a health economist at the University of Minnesota, said in an email.
0 Replies

jcboy

Fri 17 Sep, 2021 03:38 pm
I got my third shot of pfizer today. Hit me harder then the first two. I came home and fell asleep for three hours. Still feel tired but glad I got it.

A couple we know that lives down the street have four kids and refused to get the vaccine. Kids went back to school and brought it home to their parents whom are now both sick with COVID, the kids are find, the 16 year old boy was sick for a week but doing better.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Sep, 2021 05:04 am
A lower dose of the BioNTech-Pfizer coronavirus vaccine — one-third the amount given to adults and teens — is safe and triggered a robust immune response in children as young as 5 years old, the drug companies announced in a news release this morning.

Quote:
NEW YORK and MAINZ, Germany, September 20, 2021—Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE, “Pfizer”) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX, “BioNTech”) today announced results from a Phase 2/3 trial showing a favorable safety profile and robust neutralizing antibody responses in children 5 to 11 years of age using a two-dose regimen of 10 µg administered 21 days apart, a smaller dose than the 30 µg dose used for people 12 and older. The antibody responses in the participants given 10 µg doses were comparable to those recorded in a previous Pfizer-BioNTech study in people 16 to 25 years of age immunized with 30 µg doses. The 10 µg dose was carefully selected as the preferred dose for safety, tolerability and immunogenicity in children 5 to 11 years of age. These are the first results from a pivotal trial of a COVID-19 vaccine in this age group.

“Over the past nine months, hundreds of millions of people ages 12 and older from around the world have received our COVID-19 vaccine. We are eager to extend the protection afforded by the vaccine to this younger population, subject to regulatory authorization, especially as we track the spread of the Delta variant and the substantial threat it poses to children,” said Albert Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Pfizer. “Since July, pediatric cases of COVID-19 have risen by about 240 percent in the U.S. – underscoring the public health need for vaccination. These trial results provide a strong foundation for seeking authorization of our vaccine for children 5 to 11 years old, and we plan to submit them to the FDA and other regulators with urgency.”

“We are pleased to be able to submit data to regulatory authorities for this group of school-aged children before the start of the winter season,” said Dr. Ugur Sahin, CEO and co-founder of BioNTech. “The safety profile and immunogenicity data in children aged 5 to 11 years vaccinated at a lower dose are consistent with those we have observed with our vaccine in other older populations at a higher dose.”
[... ... ...]
BioNTech press release
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 21 Sep, 2021 04:47 am

Two dose version of J & J shot 94% effective against Covid-19, study finds
(cnn)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 22 Sep, 2021 12:05 pm
Germans who have not been vaccinated against Covid-19 will no longer receive compensation for lost pay if they have to quarantine from November, the federal and the states health ministers decided today.

Most German states have introduced rules that allow restaurants and other leisure facilities to restrict entry to those who are vaccinated or can show they have recently recovered from the disease.

And from October, anyone wanting a rapid negative test as a substitute for proof of vaccination will have to pay for it out of their own pocket – ending a government initiative that had made testing widely available and free to all.

As of today, Germany reported 10,454 new cases of Covid-19 in the past 24 hours and an incidence rate of 65 new infections per 100,000 people over the past seven days.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 22 Sep, 2021 12:11 pm
A very interesting story about the HermanCainAward subreddit where Covid deniers who die from Covid have their stories chronicled.
Quote:
As the forum has grown, entries have started following a fairly standard format: The first few screenshots typically feature the individual in question deploying a remarkably consistent set (there are 30 or so) of memes. Some vilify Dr. Anthony Fauci or champion the right to be unvaccinated. Others warn people they’re experimental rats or offer scripts that will properly punish wait staff for daring to inquire about vaccination status. Some deride masked liberals as “sheep” and the unvaccinated as proud free lions or refer to immigrants as vectors of disease or compare vaccination requirements to the Holocaust. Most of them treat the pandemic as a joke and frame ignoring it as brave or clever or both. The final few screenshots typically announce the disease, its progress, and the eventual death announcement, frequently followed by a GoFundMe for the family. If someone is merely hospitalized, the flair on that entry reads “Nominated.” When they die, it changes to “Awarded.” It is cruel, a site for heartless and unrepentant schadenfreude. This is a place where deaths are celebrated, and it is not the only one.

Quote:
I began reading because I wanted to understand how pro-social impulses could get coarsened to the point where advocates for lifesaving measures like vaccines—people who think of themselves as the good guys—are literally celebrating deaths. I’m no closer to understanding that, but something very strange did happen because I read these records: Despite reading loads of statistics and case histories and news articles about the pandemic, r/HermanCainAward became my most thorough source on what it’s like for a person to die from COVID. I understand the disease more deeply because I have read so many viciously curated “stories” in which ordinary people blathering about politics end up narrating their decline from it—with help from their families—as optimistically as they can. They are younger than COVID patients used to be. Trying to put a positive spin on things. Soliciting prayers. Generally avoiding conversions. They do not expect to die. It’s relentless reading. And it keeps ending up the same way. Only health care workers have seen this many people decline and die.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 23 Sep, 2021 03:43 pm
Well, the Coronavirus deaths of the anti-vaxers are the result of a genius, if dastardly, leftist psyops, after all.

Nolte: Howard Stern Proves Democrats Want Unvaccinated Trump Voters Dead
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 06:26 am
On Oct. 8, I get my third Pfizer shot from the Veterans hospital. I had my second shot way back on January 27. I’m pleased but in no way feel well-protected or even remotely complacent.

We’re snowbirds and soon heading back to so. FL for our usual 5 months, so our routine of crowd avoidance will resume to what it was before the vaccines. Our governor is a blithering idiot so FL remains at or near the top for virus riskiness. Masks and distancing for quite awhile longer, I’m afraid.
Mame

Fri 24 Sep, 2021 07:12 am
@Ragman,
I haven't noticed a big difference between our pre-pandemic and during-pandemic activities. For a while we were on lockdown - stay at home orders - and dining in wasn't allowed, but other than my husband going to listen to music several times a week (which wasn't allowed for a while) - not much difference, really, in our lifestyle. So... I don't mind the masking and distancing.

Our premier is an idiot, too. Completely opened things up at the beginning of July and now our hospitals are at 90% capacity, which triggers the Crisis Management Rule. That is, they're triaging who gets treated. 95% of the hospitalizations and ICU patients are unvaccinated, yet there are still daily protests by unvaccinated idiots outside the hospitals. Go figure. They have cancelled all elective surgeries (even brain tumour removals!) and our province is getting military and air assistance as many patients have to be transported elsewhere. Our premier is a bit like the FL governor. Twits.

We have just re-instituted COVID measures but I don't feel they're stringent enough. Most of us, however, are taking it upon ourselves to tamp things down. Our Mayor has instituted more stringent measures, however. Vaccine cards must be shown to enter most buildings (libraries, trains, buses, public buildings, etc), and I think the rules for travel are now quite restrictive.