Honest inquiry into Conservative beliefs & support of Bush

mysteryman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
What I meant is that I DO believe that those people that want to turn us into a "nanny state",where the govt takes care of us from cradle to grave,where conservative values like personal responsibility are denigrated,where self reliance is deemed as an aberration instead of the norm,those people are in my opinion wrong in their beliefs.
Of Course,those same people think I am wrong in my beliefs.
The difference is,those people are trying to force their opinions and agenda on everybody else (in my view),and I'm not.

You have a basic disconnect in operation here, MM. Although there are extremists who might favor something like your perceived "nanny state," it is not correct to assume that people who support state welfare programs are in favor of programs as you describe them. It is not only entirely possible, it is true that many people support the concept of aid to dependent children, and oppose "welfare cheaters" and those who have children simply to qualify for more benefits.

What is even worse about your castigation of those with whom you disagree is your assumption that self-reliance is denigrated, and perceived as an aberration. It does not automatically follow that those who support programs such as aid to dependent children do not believe in self-reliance.

This is the crux of anger in political debate--rather than simply note that you oppose public welfare, you indulge in a fanatasy of polar opposition to all that you believe on the part of those who disagree with you on that issue. You aren't meeting people half-way, you are simply assuming that if someone doesn't agree with you in every particular, that you can state with assurance that they hold an entire array of beliefs worthy of your contempt. That certainly will never lead to understanding between people from different political points of view.

I have no problem with welfare,but I think it needs to be fixed.
For those who TRULY NEED it,I say give them all the help they need.
BUT,it was not meant to be used as an income,nor was it meant to replace working.
IMHO,those on welfare should be made to work for it,if they are physically able.
There are plenty of highways that need trash picked up,weeds pulled,grass mowed,etc.

I DO have a problem with able-bodied people getting welfare because they are to lazy to work.
The "nanny state" people I spoke of are those that demand free health care,free college educations,gauranteed jobs,etc.
They want the govt to care for us from "cradle to grave",and they are aghast that anyone can live without the govt helping them.
These are the people that want to take from the rich,just because they are successful (and NO,I'm not rich).

As far as personal responsibility goes,we have all seen and heard stories on the news about people that make a foolish choice,then refuse to accept the results.
Remember the woman that sued McDonalds because she spilt hot coffee on her lap?
She knew the coffee was hot,yet she put it between her legs WITHOUT a lid,then sued McDonalds when she got scalded.
It was HER CHOICE to put the coffee there,not McDonalds.

There are news reports all the time about a drunk driver that sues a bar when he has an accident,or someone that points a gun at a cop then sues when he gets shot.

That is what I mean.It seems like those kinds of lawsuits are veing encouraged all the time.
Pick up any copy of the Sunday LA Times.
Loiok in the classified section and you will see many ads from lawyers stating..."Have you EVER been in an accident with a truck? Even if it was YOUR FAULT,call us and we will get you money".
How is that accepting personal responsibility?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm
Well, MM, my only problem with your presentation is that you ascribe such attitudes and behavior to a particular political agenda as opposed to simply condemning those individuals who behave irresponsibly. We have no way of knowing if the old lady scalded by the coffee at Mickey's votes Republican or Democrat.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, MM, my only problem with your presentation is that you ascribe such attitudes and behavior to a particular political agenda as opposed to simply condemning those individuals who behave irresponsibly. We have no way of knowing if the old lady scalded by the coffee at Mickey's votes Republican or Democrat.

I don't believe I said anything about how a person votes.
I am not a member of any political party,nor will I be.
I was speaking strictly about the mindset of some people,not their political affiliation,nor their voting record.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:26 pm
And i assert to you that you cannot ascribe any particular ideology to a person based upon your subjective judgment of whether or not they display a personal sense of responsibility.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 09:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
And i assert to you that you cannot ascribe any particular ideology to a person based upon your subjective judgment of whether or not they display a personal sense of responsibility.

I don't believe that I asserted any ideology to anyone.
I was speaking strictly about the mindset and views of people that fit the description I mentioned.
Its the mindset that I think is wrong,irrespective of a persons political affiliation.
If I gave the impression I was referring to a specific political persuasion or party,then I apologize for not being more clear in what I meant.
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 09:54 pm
I've been lurking around this thread for some time. I find this topic fascinating. I was out of the States for the two years leading up to the last election. I voted absentee. Due to this, I missed discussions like this one. After the election, I had some of the same questions that GW wrote of in her initial post. I was a bit afraid to post for a while back there. I do, however, like the tone of the discussion at present.

Setanta:

Word. I really like the way you put this.

MM:

You wrote:

I believe we have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

I'm not sure if I understand precisely what you mean by this. Would you please elucidate this concept for me?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:01 am
Shazzer,
You wrote..."MM:

You wrote:

I believe we have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

I'm not sure if I understand precisely what you mean by this. Would you please elucidate this concept for me?"

I will do my best.
But I will remind you that this is my OPINION,it isnt based on polls,research,or anything else.

I am a firm believer that as Americans we are free to worship any way we want (short of human sacrifice).
If you want to worship a kumquat,then I say go for it.
Your religious beliefs are your business,not mine.
As long as your beliefs do not involve abusing kids or human sacrifice,then nobody,including the govt,has the right to say anything.
If you want to pray to a blank computer screen,thats your business.
That is what I mean by freedom OF religion.

Having said that,I do have a problem with the people that are trying to eliminate any and all religious expressions from daily life.
contrary to what some people think,the founding fathers were religious men.
There are many practices and expressions of that in everyday life.
For example,both the House and Senate have official chaplains (ministers).
When the President is sworn in,he has his hand on the bible,the 10 commandments are posted in the USSC,the words "In God we trust" are engraved on ALL US currency,The house and Senate open each session with a prayer.
There are other examples,but I think you get my meaning.

In my opinion,it is not possible to separate these from daily living.
Yet there are people that are trying to do just that,based on the mythical "separation of church and state".
Those people are the ones demanding freedom FROM religion.

I hope I made that clear for you.If not,I will try again.
But remember,this is my OPINION,not based on science or polls or political leanings or party affiliation.
They are based on 43 years of living and observations.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:07 am
Example: Los Angeles (I think) has had a cross on it's city seal since the inception of the town. Now, because religion suddenly has cooties, the ACLU or some other numbskull group, is suing to have the cross eradicated from the city seal.

I suppose they better rename the city, too. "The Angels" is too religious.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:12 am
mm, I disagree with your opinion about "freedom from religion." If our president happened to be a Muslim, and he/she promoted his/her religion by legislation, the people of this country would be in an uproar. It "IS" possible to separate daily living from religion. I'm an atheist and do it every day of my life; I live without religion. Just because you think most people live with religion every day, doesn't make it "politically" correct. Religion should be practiced without its influence on others who do not believe in the same religion/god/atheist. I base my opinion on 70 years of living and observations; doesn't mean much in a predominantly religious' country where over 90 percent claims christianhood.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:25 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
mm, I disagree with your opinion about "freedom from religion." If our president happened to be a Muslim, and he/she promoted his/her religion by legislation, the people of this country would be in an uproar. It "IS" possible to separate daily living from religion. I'm an atheist and do it every day of my life; I live without religion. Just because you think most people live with religion every day, doesn't make it "politically" correct. Religion should be practiced without its influence on others who do not believe in the same religion/god/atheist. I base my opinion on 70 years of living and observations; doesn't mean much in a predominantly religious' country where over 90 percent claims christianhood.

I agree with you,up to a point.
Do your beliefs mean that we should eliminate all traces of religion from public life?
Do we have to remove "In God we trust" from all our currency?
Do we have to eliminate all military chaplains or the official Senate and House chaplains?
Must we eliminate the use of a Bible when swearing in a new President?

Tell me,must we do all that just to accommodate your views?
How has any of the examples I gave affected you negatively?

You are free to be an atheist if you want,that is your right.
I will support your "beliefs" to the best of my ability.
Because that again falls into the freedom OF religion.
But,you do NOT have the right,as an atheist,to demand that we have freedom FROM religion.
You do not have the right to decide what is or is not acceptable to everyone else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:28 am
mysteryman wrote:
I don't believe that I asserted any ideology to anyone.
I was speaking strictly about the mindset and views of people that fit the description I mentioned.
Its the mindset that I think is wrong,irrespective of a persons political affiliation.
If I gave the impression I was referring to a specific political persuasion or party,then I apologize for not being more clear in what I meant.

No problem, Boss . . . i had in fact believed that you were inferring that such attitudes were prevalent among "liberals," but not among "conservatives." I'm glad you made clear your meaning, and apologize if you felt i was harrassing you on the point.
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 01:00 pm
MM,

Thank you for providing me with a fuller explanation of your beliefs regarding religious freedom. It's something new for me to ponder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 01:17 pm
I did not say we must rid of all religious symbols from our life; only that government should not be promoting their own belief through government institutions.

I do not believe it is necessary to remove "In god we trust" from our currency, but that may be a personal opinion that may be in conflict with those of other religions.

There is no need to remove military chaplins if all religions are represented in one way or another. If there are only christian chaplins, I would say that is wrong, and they should not be allowed.

I do not see the need to eliminate the bible from the swearing in ceremony of the US president, but that's only my opinion. Others may have an objection to that practice. As an atheist, it doesn't bother me one iota.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
CI,
You said..."There is no need to remove military chaplins if all religions are represented in one way or another. If there are only christian chaplins, I would say that is wrong, and they should not be allowed."

I agree with you,but how far do we take it?
If Someone is a Satanist and their beliefs demand nightly animal sacrifice,should the military accommodate them?
If your religion demands the use of hallucinogenic drugs or mushrooms,should the govt accommodate them?

It is not possible for the govt to provide chaplains for every different kind of religious beliefs,so does that mean that the service should not provide any chaplains?

And while you seem reasonable in your views,you know as well as I do that there are many people that want EVERY reference to any kind of "higher being" removed from all govt documents,and from all facets of public life.

Those are the people I oppose.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
CI,
You said..."There is no need to remove military chaplins if all religions are represented in one way or another. If there are only christian chaplins, I would say that is wrong, and they should not be allowed."

I agree with you,but how far do we take it?
If Someone is a Satanist and their beliefs demand nightly animal sacrifice,should the military accomadate them?
If your religion demands the use of hallucinagenic drugs or mushrooms,should the govt acomadate them?

It is not possible for the govt to provide chaplains for every different kind of religious beliefs,so does that mean that the service should not provide any chaplains?

And while you seem reasonable in your views,you know as well as I do that there are many people that want EVERY reference to any kind of "higher being" removed from all govt documents,and from all facets of public life.

Those are the people I oppose.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:25 am
"If Someone is a Satanist and their beliefs demand nightly animal sacrifice,should the military accomadate them?"

It would require some common sense, but then that would be an oxymoron wouldn't it?
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:53 am
This weekend, immediately after learning that 1.4 million abortions were performed in the US during 2004, I heard an advertisement for an adult literacy program that said 40 M parents can not read to their children.

While the 40 million number might be qualified in some manner, consider the consequences of that figure. Compare the number of abortions to the number of illiterate and partially literate parents.

Many women seeking abortions are marginally literate and are paid the minimum wage and already have children at home that they can not adequately support.

Finally, what do you say to people who are discriminated against in the job market because of age or disabilities?
0 Replies