Honest inquiry into Conservative beliefs & support of Bush

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:46 pm
Fedral & D'Art. -Stop the name calling or start your own thread.

A number of you say Bush is not a Conservative and I agree, but they still voted for him. Why not just stay home? Why vote for a guy who is not going to deliver? I admit I voted for Kerry while holding my nose, but I knew he would suck up and give me what I basically wanted in the way of policy. Bush doesn't seem to be offering anything that anyone wants, yet he lives in the White House.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:58 pm
Why I voted for him anyway? I'll borrow a phrase from the Dems: "Anyone but Kerry." I used to live in the CommonPoverty of Taxachussetts, and I didn't want one of their Reds at the helm of this country. Confused In the election of 2000, however, I did NOT vote---my abstention was a "vote" of no confidence.

I wish that the Dems & the Pubs'd fuse into one party, and then let's have the Constitutional Party as the 2nd one; that would give us a real choice.

Conservative: A liberal who hasn't graduated from home schooling yet. ROTFL! LOL! Love it, D'Art! Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:00 pm
Green Witch wrote:
A number of you say Bush is not a Conservative and I agree, but they still voted for him. Why not just stay home? Why vote for a guy who is not going to deliver? I admit I voted for Kerry while holding my nose, but I knew he would suck up and give me what I basically wanted in the way of policy. Bush doesn't seem to be offering anything that anyone wants, yet he lives in the White House.

Mostly, IMO, because he ISN'T Kerry.

Bush has the support of Social Conservatives (the "Religious Right") but a lot of other who are more Libertarian minded and Economic Conservatives voted for him because they feared Kerry winning. They held their noses the same way you did when you voted for Kerry.

I voted for Badnarik. Wink
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:05 pm
The question posted asked for conservative views and reasons for supporting Bush and just about the whole first page is none conservatives posting their views on why he is supported. I guess I missed the something.

Do we have some closet conservatives in the house?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:12 pm
If you're referring to me... I'm openly conservative... and proud of it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:14 pm
Baldimo - I think it's just a hot button issue and liberals, like conservatives, want to feel they can crash any party (no pun intended).

Diag' - I understand your position perfectly. It's hard to pull that button when you truly feel it's a lose/lose situation.

Fishin' - I agree that Kerry was a poor choice for the Dem's and it's a shame it seems to always come down to a choice of extremes. Whatever happened to moderation and compromise?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:31 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Fishin' - I agree that Kerry was a poor choice for the Dem's and it's a shame it seems to always come down to a choice of extremes. Whatever happened to moderation and compromise?

In this case I think the Democrats (the "Official" party types) over-estimated the resentment against Bush and expected more fallout from the 2000 election fiasco and groups like Moveon.org got a lot of the rank-and-file folks thinking they were a larger group than they were. The net result being, IMO, a feeling that they could win with a candidate that was farther from the center than they might have gone with otherwise. They came close but ultimately failed.

Overall what I find more interesting about the election is that the Dem and Rep Parties have been seen as the standard bearers for the moderate liberal and moderate conservative positions and other parties (Greens, Labor, Libertarian, Reform, etc..) were seen as "the extremists". In this last election the 3rd parties basically didn't show up in the voting. I'd guess that that won't happen again for a while. The disgust with the 2 major parties is driving the moderates out of both. We may see a shift where the Dem and Rep Parties are the extremist parties and the 3rd parties become the center.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:36 pm
Re: Honest inquiry into Conservative beliefs & support o
Green Witch wrote:
All parties entering must leave their guns and knives at the door , thank you.

I am from the more liberal side of the political fence, but have always had sympathy with some conservative view points. What I don't understand is why conservatives are so supportive of what I consider Bush's liberal agenda.

I always thought that fiscal responsibility, smaller gov't, and minding our own business were important themes in Conservative platform. So why can Bush basically bankrupt the country with some idea that he is going to free the world and Conservatives applaud this?. It sounds more like a half-baked liberal cause to me: "Hey man, I have a groovy idea, like let's empty the treasury and free the world." -??

How could we possibly benefit from posting in this thread? You say you want to know why we think what we do and ask us to respond, leaving our knives at the door, and then preface the thing by ridiculing our viewpoint in the opening post. You didn't leave your knife at the door. You give yourself too much credit when you title this an "honest inquiry." Come back, when you sincerely want to understand us.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:39 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
If you're referring to me... I'm openly conservative... and proud of it.

No not referring to you.

fishin' wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

In this case I think the Democrats (the "Official" party types) over-estimated the resentment against Bush and expected more fallout from the 2000 election fiasco and groups like Moveon.org got a lot of the rank-and-file folks thinking they were a larger group than they were. The net result being, IMO, a feeling that they could win with a candidate that was farther from the center than they might have gone with otherwise. They came close but ultimately failed.

Overall what I find more interesting about the election is that the Dem and Rep Parties have been seen as the standard bearers for the moderate liberal and moderate conservative positions and other parties (Greens, Labor, Libertarian, Reform, etc..) were seen as "the extremists". In this last election the 3rd parties basically didn't show up in the voting. I'd guess that that won't happen again for a while. The disgust with the 2 major parties is driving the moderates out of both. We may see a shift where the Dem and Rep Parties are the extremist parties and the 3rd parties become the center.

You mention the third parties not showing, its because their biggest candidate was removed from about every state ballot because the dems where threatened by him. I don't think they didn't care; they didn't have a candidate to vote for. The Dems treated the election like the mafia moving in on some small time garbage truck operation. They were threatened and reacted to keep that threat from affecting their candidate.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:21 pm
Brandon9000, responding to Green Witch's opening gambit, wrote:
How could we possibly benefit from posting in this thread? You say you want to know why we think what we do and ask us to respond, leaving our knives at the door, and then preface the thing by ridiculing our viewpoint in the opening post. You didn't leave your knife at the door. You give yourself too much credit when you title this an "honest inquiry." Come back, when you sincerely want to understand us.

Salient point. This sort of "Discussion" generally is nothing more than a platform for bashing the putatively questioned opposition, whether Dems/liberals or Repubs/conservatives intitiate the "question". Quite clearly, this topic's author begins from a perjorative premis, one predicated on rejection and ridicule, seeking affirmation and backpats from like minded co-ideologists, as opposed to dispassionate, non-partisan exchange of ideas.

I'd say not so much "leave your guns and knives at the door" as "leave your agendas at the door" - however, that likely would be fruitless. Agenda and unwillingness even to consider the opposing viewpoints characterize most political discussions, amature or professional, academic or recreational. That this thread and its ilk might be pursued in the manner so far here evidenced clearly reveals that some folks just don't get it - whether they can't or they won't is immaterial; they just don't. Its not just an American phenomenon, either; conservatisim in many ways is growing throughout the developed world, and Liberalism is suffering backlash brought on by its own policies. This confounds Liberals, leading them to seek an outward cause for what really is an internal flaw resulting in the decline of their electoral success.

With all that said, I'll say I am a conservative with reservations concerning and disputes with much of the policy of The Current Administration, but I see the presently empowered crew as far, far less dangerous to this nation, its constitution, and to the interest of overall long-term global stability than The Opposition.

And with that said, I'll say, as I've been saying for years, "Keep up the good work, Dems, you're doing a great job. We conservatives really appreciate your efforts. Thanks for all the help".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:27 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

I am from the more liberal side of the political fence, but have always had sympathy with some conservative view points. What I don't understand is why conservatives are so supportive of what I consider Bush's liberal agenda.

I always thought that fiscal responsibility, smaller gov't, and minding our own business were important themes in Conservative platform. So why can Bush basically bankrupt the country with some idea that he is going to free the world and Conservatives applaud this?. It sounds more like a half-baked liberal cause to me: "Hey man, I have a groovy idea, like let's empty the treasury and free the world." -??

Brandon. I was not trying to be mean. I wanted to be upfront with how I viewed the situation and my political perspective. I can't say 'hey I'm 100% neutral - tell me what you think". I do consider myself a moderate and I do try and see both sides of an issue, even if I continue to disagree with one side. I do want to understand this Bush phenomenon. It is a mystery to me. I understand why conservatives voted for Reagan and Bush 1, but the support for Bush 2 baffles me. I noticed a true viciousness on some other threads and thought it was pointless. There is a difference between making a point with a little humor and the other extreme of ignoring what the other person says just in order to hit him with some zingy comment. Sorry if I came off as hostile, it was not my intent.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:38 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

Brandon. I was not trying to be mean. I wanted to be upfront with how I viewed the situation... Sorry if I came off as hostile, it was not my intent.

Well, if you truly want to know why I support Bush, then I will tell you. I support Bush because 95% of the time he says and does exactly what I believe in. You say he bankrupted the country. I doubt that's an accurate description of our economic state, but Bush had to respond to 9/11 by putting the army into Afghanistan, so that expenditure is just one he was stuck with. As for Iraq, I agree with it wholeheartedly, so that is another reason why I support him, and why I believe the expenditure was necessary to protect us from greater expenditures in the future had we not invaded.

Moreover, it doesn't take an Einstein to see what kind of culture the liberals wish for America, and I find their vision abhorrent. Bush is trying to hold the line against it and support the values I believe in. So, in short, I vote for the man because to a very great extent he represents my own beliefs and preferences. I think that he is doing a very good job despite the incessant liberal effort to (a) undermine his work, and (b) use any conceivable excuse to try to say he's failing. If you toss that much mud at anyone, some of it will stick. You probably don't agree with my beliefs, but if you want to know why I support Bush enthusiastically, that is why.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:40 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Salient point. This sort of "Discussion" generally is nothing more than a platform for bashing the putatively questioned opposition, whether Dems/liberals or Repubs/conservatives intitiate the "question". Quite clearly, this topic's author begins from a perjorative premis, one predicated on rejection and ridicule, seeking affirmation and backpats from like minded co-ideologists, as opposed to dispassionate, non-partisan exchange of ideas.

I'd say not so much "leave your guns and knives at the door" as "leave your agendas at the door" - however, that likely would be fruitless. Agenda and unwillingness even to consider the opposing viewpoints characterize most political discussions, amature or professional, academic or recreational. That this thread and its ilk might be pursued in the manner so far here evidenced clearly reveals that some folks just don't get it - whether they can't or they won't is immaterial; they just don't. Its not just an American phenomenon, either; conservatisim in many ways is growing throughout the developed world, and Liberalism is suffering backlash brought on by its own policies. This confounds Liberals, leading them to seek an outward cause for what really is an internal flaw resulting in the decline of their electoral success.

With all that said, I'll say I am a conservative with reservations concerning and disputes with much of the policy of The Current Administration, but I see the presently empowered crew as far, far less dangerous to this nation, its constitution, and to the interest of overall long-term global stability than The Opposition.

Timberlandko - I do not feel I am ridiculing anyone's opinion here. If I want to preach to the choir I can go find a thread that does just that. I wasn't surprised that the some generally liberal voices popped in to give me their perspective, but I can take that into consideration also. Actually, I think I received some very sincere, honest responses to my inquiry from both sides. I am not looking to change anyone's mind and I doubt anyone will change mine, but I have the opportunity to get a variety of opinions to a subject that is literally world changing and I appreciate the chance to do so.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:49 pm
Yes Brandon I can understand why you voted for Bush- it is very simple - you agree with him and his policies. Perfectly good answer. But I'm not sure that makes you a conservative in the traditional sense or a least not in the sense I have always thought of as conservative. I think many conservatives voted for him and don't agree with him, that's the puzzle I am unraveling. I guess the picture I'm getting is the sad one of we all just vote for the lesser of two evils, and we all have a different view of what evil is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:52 pm
I don't know about you guys, but I used to be a "republican" many decades ago when their philosophy of small government, less government intrusions, freedoms guaranteed by our Bill of Rights and Constitution, and "conservatism" really meant "Conservatism." How many Americans can still claim to be "republicans" today is a BIG MYSTERY, because I don't see much "Conservatism" being practiced.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:55 pm
Yes! Cicerone that is what I am thinking of. In fact it did not occur to me to use the term "Republican" because it just does not seem to fit. It's not my father's party anymore. Thank you for saying it for me.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
because I don't see much "Conservatism" being practiced. Precisely, CI!

GW, jis fer the rekurd, ah dint git the impreshn ewe wuz puttin nobody down, thar in yer inishul poss! Mah impreshn wuz ewe wuz jis wunnerin outlowd! :wink:

BTW, I'm in the same boat with you as far as being "unworthy" of PM's. I still don't know WHEN a body qualifies: is it after X# of posts? Or after X# of time? Or what? I never got the answer when I asked this question over at the forum-help section, either.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:03 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Yes Brandon I can understand why you voted for Bush- it is very simple - you agree with him and his policies. Perfectly good answer. But I'm not sure that makes you a conservative in the traditional sense or a least not in the sense I have always thought of as conservative. I think many conservatives voted for him and don't agree with him, that's the puzzle I am unraveling. I guess the picture I'm getting is the sad one of we all just vote for the lesser of two evils, and we all have a different view of what evil is.

On what basis do you conclude that most conservatives are not happy with him? I listen to a number of conservative radio talk shows: Todd Schnitt, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Neil Boortz, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, even Phil Hendrie who has a comedy show but talks about politics now and then, and most of the hosts and their callers seem very happy with the president. When they criticize him, it is usually for not making the case clearly enough for policies they agree with. Perhaps you just wish to think that most conservatives aren't happy with him. There's this whole big myth liberals are trying desperately to push that Bush is failing. If you throw enough mud at anyone, some of it will stick. About the only thing I think he's failing at is countering the cacophany of liberal voices trying to put out the story that he's failing.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:07 pm
we all just vote for the lesser of two evils, and we all have a different view of what evil is

That's **IT**, GW! I think I might just use that as my signature for a while! That oughtta get published in Bartlett's! Very Happy

PS (later): Another one that's worthy of Bartlett's: "One talks and the other acts, but the talk and actions have no connections." Jekyll & Hyde. I still lament the fact that he was the only alternative to Skarry.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:11 pm
I live in a small rural community which is mostly conservative. True I do not know a huge population of conservatives so I am just basing it on my neighbors, some family members and general media accounts (I read the NYTimes and Wall St Journel on-line). However, even people like Pat Roberts have said rather negative things about Bush. True- I do not listen to much conservative radio, but that would be about as accurate as getting my politics from Al Franken or Bill Maher all the time. OK I admit I love the Daily Show, but I think they make fun of everyone.
0 Replies