Honest inquiry into Conservative beliefs & support of Bush

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:17 pm
GW, You're taking the right approach to the politics in America. Mix some humour into our politics and politicians regularly, because there's more truth there than many "serious" media news.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:21 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I live in a small rural community which is mostly conservative. True I do not know a huge population of conservatives so I am just basing it on my neighbors, some family members and general media accounts (I read the NYTimes and Wall St Journel on-line). However, even people like Pat Roberts have said rather negative things about Bush. True- I do not listen to much conservative radio, but that would be about as accurate as getting my politics from Al Franken or Bill Maher all the time. OK I admit I love the Daily Show, but I think they make fun of everyone.

And the thousand of callers I referred to? And the people I speak to personally? You seem to want to believe that we don't like him, but what most of us don't like are the efforts to undermine him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:34 pm
Brandon, it seems Green Witch is trying to get at the difference between political conservatives and American Republicans. They can be rather different critters.

The whole "political spectrum" issue often comes into this discussion, as people don't agree on what "conservative" means - and it means different things in different cultures at different times.

A conservative who believes in small government / minimal government involvement in personal affairs is likely going to have some difficulty reconciling him/herself to what Republicans are about now in America. The growth of the U.S. government in recent years, and the Schiavo case are very simple examples of where an old-school conservative Republican may no longer recognize the party that once represented him/her.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:38 pm
Brandon -I'm sure there are people who are happy with the Bush Adminstration. Many liberals would be happy if Ralph Nader was sitting in the seat, but that does not mean all liberals would be happy with that choice. I just don't think conservative platforms are any more honest than liberal platforms when it comes to politics. You have to look at your source and decide how much is "gospel" and how much is propaganda. Biased sources on both sides are fond of propaganda. I think the sources you listed could be called biased. I try to find more neutral sources for information.

As to undermining Bush - I don't think the liberals have a monopoly on that. I think the hounding of Clinton was just as bad, and just like Clinton, I think Bush supplies the ammunition for his critics.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:39 pm
Miss eBeth's point is well taken. I was raised by my grandparents--both conservative Democrats. My grandfather was a Democratic precinct committeeman. The entire bruhaha in Texas about Delay's attempt to redistrict the state and pack the House with Republicans revolved around the disenfranchisement of conservative Democrats there who voted Bush, and didn't want anyone messing with their conservative Democratic Representatives.

I never bring it up here, because of the vitriol that alleged conservatives here sling around, and because of the vitriol alleged liberals sling around and both would likely be directed at me--the first because they would deny that i have a legacy of conservative political values, and the latter because they would call me traitor.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:42 pm
An old-school conservative Republican may no longer recognize the party that once represented him/her.

Precisely, eBeth. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:53 pm
I hadn't thought of it before, but I think part of what triggered my head scratching about this issue was my elderly father. Big Republican in his day, he's kind of losing it now. Bush was on some TV news channel talking about the war and my father turns to me and says something to the effect of 'That (edited for niceness) Democrat can't make a simple statement without tripping over his own ignorance" . I remind him Bush is a Republican - he looks at me with open eyes and says "no way, no Republican would vote for that guy". Maybe ehBeth is right, many old time Republicans can't reconize their own party anymore.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:01 pm
"Maybe ehBeth is right, many old time Republicans can't recognize their own party anymore." The mystery of mysteries - do real conservatives still vote republican?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:30 pm
When Democrats are the alternative, yes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:41 pm
All Democrats Lash? Can you think of a Democrat you like? I like McCain on the Republican side and in my state we have a Republican governor who has some good environmental and farming policies I fully support.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:43 pm
diagknowz wrote:
An old-school conservative Republican may no longer recognize the party that once represented him/her.

Precisely, eBeth. Crying or Very sad

On this point....

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54576&highlight=
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
It's not really about "like". It's about a conservative, such as you describe as a REAL conservative, having a more conservative alternative than a Republican.

Bush isn't your traditional conservative (and in many ways that is a GOOD thing), but how could you imagine that the more viable choice would be a Democrat?

Doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:50 pm
I didn't mean viable choice. I was just wondering if there was any room for flexiblity. Could you vote for a conservative Democrat? Are there any issues in the Democratic platform that you agree with. I like the conservative idea of watching where the money goes and not just throwing it at problems. Any middle ground for you in Democratic corner? I could easily vote for a liberal Republican.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:04 pm
I have said in the past that I would have voted for Dean for President. I meant it too.

Kerry was no Dean.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
Really McG? Briefly, what did you like about Dean?
I personally felt Dean was more honest and Kerry was just playing to the crowd for votes. Eccentricities aside, I would have preferred a Dean ticket and I think Dean could have won.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Interesting guys and I agree that it's the Neo-C's behind the throne, but plain old fashioned Conservatives must have voted for the guy or he would not be in office now. The regular folks put him over the line and into the driver's seat. Why? and would they do it again today?

Does any Bush supporter now regret voting for him in this last election? I'm not saying would you prefer Kerry, but rather would you have liked a "none of the above" option instead of Bush?

Green Witch-- I was responding with this in mind. There may be some more Conservative Republicans who had to hold their nose when they voted for Bush, but many of those people likely have two reasons.
1) They will always vote. Its a sacred duty.
2) No matter how bad the Republican may be, the Democrat, to an authentic old line conservative, is always worse.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:13 pm
No matter how bad the Republican may be, the Democrat, to an authentic old line conservative, is always worse. Yes, with the possible exception of a tiny minority of Southern Dems (tho I still wouldn't vote for them, bec. it'd be backing the party as a whole).

Does any Bush supporter now regret voting for him in this last election? I'm not saying would you prefer Kerry, but rather would you have liked a "none of the above" option instead of Bush? I regretted it at the booth, and I still do, but I figured, pratically speaking, if I vote for the Constitutional Party, it'd be a default vote for Skarry.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:15 pm
Maybe we need that "none of the above" option and if that is where the votes go, then all sides need to pick new candidates. I too think voting is a must, even if the choices are depressing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
I see your point, diagknowz.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:59 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Are there any issues in the Democratic platform that you agree with.

Well, a legitimate question.

What is the Democrat platform?
0 Replies