Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

justaguy2

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 04:29 am
@JGoldman10,
I'd have serious doubts about that. I'd think they would have been analog screens back in particularly the 80's (and before), and likely for at least a good part of the 90's too.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 05:02 am
@justaguy2,
From what I can find, older electronics used Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

Modern screens on smartphones are OLED displays, though the Nintendo DS and Switch still use LCD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 05:18 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hello Frank, nice to meet you. I don't know about you but I don't want a robot performing surgery on me.

Neither do I...and at 84, I doubt one ever will. But there are already machine assisted surgeries taking place...and I expect more will be part of our future.

As I said, some jobs will never go to machines. But the jobs that machines do more productively should.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 06:03 am
@Rebelofnj,
I think I was thinking of old CRT displays at the time of that post, my mistake.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:51 am
@Rebelofnj,
I know what the sequel is about.
0 Replies

PenguinJohn

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:13 am
@JGoldman10,
Sometimes I think about this and I think that in the 70/80 we had such good technology and we were developing very fast and in a good way... Looking what we have now, I would expect something more...
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 04:05 pm
I've recently rediscovered a type of digital technology called "deepfakes". This video showcases a good example of deepfakes:

This is an innovative breakthrough in digital technology, specifically synthetic media. I didn't know the correct term for it.

I say "rediscovered" because I recall seeing a video in which Jordan Peele made a deepfake of President Obama speaking in a PSA a few years ago:

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 06:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
The tech has been fairly used in major Hollywood films for several years now, mainly to replace stunt actors' faces with the star actors. For example, replacing the trained ice skater's face with actress Margot Robbie's in I, Tonya.

A major example is 2010's Tron Legacy, which has Jeff Bridges playing two characters: the 61 year old programmer and the main villain who is supposed to look like 35. A different actor physically played the villain then the CGI team replace his face with Bridges'.

A very usual example happened in 2016's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Disney had actor Guy Henry play supporting character Grand Moff Tarkin, but his face was replaced with original actor Peter Cushing, who died in 1994. Cushing's estate allowed Disney to use his likeness for the film.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 09:51 pm
@Rebelofnj,
They made a movie out of the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding scandal back in the '90s?

Margot Robbie was portraying Tonya Harding in the movie?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:05 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

They made a movie out of the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding scandal back in the '90s?

This is what I mean about things most people know being a revelation.

When the story broke it was like something out of a film. The question wasn’t will they make a film but when.

And it’s been out for years.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 04:18 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes. The film is actually pretty good; it was nominated for several Academy Awards, with Allison Janney winning Best Supporting Actress for playing Tonya's abusive mother.

Australian born Margot Robbie was unaware of the scandal and thought the script was fictional after reading it. She did meet with Tonya Harding before filming.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 01:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
If Robbie was playing Harding then why did the filmmakers think it was necessary to superimpose her face onto the real Harding's face?

Was Harding actually performing stunts for the film or did the filmmakers use stock footage of Harding performing on ice?

In either scenario why didn't they leave the real Harding's face unedited?

That makes no sense to me.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
Why do you think?

It doesn’t matter how good an actor you are when we’re talking about a World class athlete. Robbie will never be able to skate as well as Harding.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:02 pm
@izzythepush,
You're missing the point. Why didn't they leave the real Harding's face unedited when the real Harding was performing in the movie?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
Because the person playing her in the film looks different.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:04 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Who played Nancy Kerrigan?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
That to me is stupid. Harding, going by what Rebel said, was Robbie's stunt double. No one was going to care if Robbie didn't look exactly like the real Harding or not.

In Spike Lee's X, Denzel Washington portays Malcolm X, and towards the end of the movie they showed stock footage of the real Malcolm X giving a speech.

In The Jesse Owens Story they had an actor portraying Owens, and towards the end of the movie they showed stock footage of the real Jesse Owens running in a marathon.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Caitlin Carver portrayal Nancy Kerrigan.

You can locate all the movie details, including the cast at imdb.com

I didn't see the movie, don't plan to. I remember the chain of events back then.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:14 pm
@izzythepush,
You get the point I'm making?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:19 pm
To answer my own question the filmmakers had to have used stock footage of Harding performing on ice. Robbie was portraying the young Tonya Harding.