The Military Draft and You (or someone you may know)...?

oralloy

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 11:12 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Was there ever a war you guys didn't love?

Well, I'm not a fan of nation building wars. I believe in "create a desert and call it peace". But that's more of a view on war tactics than a view on whether to go to war.

The thing with war is, people don't just want to go to war for no reason. When people want to go to war, there is usually a good reason why they want to go to war.

On the other hand, I do understand that there are also good reasons not to go to war. I think that war should be a last resort, to be exercised only if diplomacy fails completely. And first use of nuclear weapons should be a last resort, to be done only if conventional war fails completely.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 11:43 pm
@oralloy,
Yep, country wide protests drew 5000 people... I think the German people, overall, are ok with US forces in Germany. There are nut jobs in every country.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 03:08 pm
@oralloy,
Answer Glitter's question: When were you in armed forces??
coldjoint

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 05:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Answer Glitter's question: When were you in armed forces??

First, you tell no one what to do. Second, it is irrelevant to the discussion and none of anyone's business but Oralloy's./color]
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:27 pm
@coldjoint,
Progressives are a lot like some creepy homeless woman who walks up to you from out of the blue and starts rummaging through your pockets while making weird animal noises.
revelette3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:33 pm
I still think a lot would be solved if we just got almost completely out of the ME, unless the host country wants us there by a majority. And quit getting in between their various fights and let them fight it out themselves, which also includes Israel and mostly Yemen, Iraq...
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:41 pm
@revelette3,
Does letting them fight it out among themselves include letting Israel clear Palestinians out of the West Bank and relocate them to the Gaza Strip?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:47 pm
@coldjoint,
First of all practice what you preach. Don't tell me what to do.

So you didn't serve either,

Glitter and I have. Please don't put others into harm's way when you wouldn't risk your own hide.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:49 pm
@oralloy,
WTF does that even mean?
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:50 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It means that progressives are incapable of minding their own business.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 08:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Glitter and I have

That does not say anything good about serving, does it?
Quote:
Don't tell me what to do.

I didn't, I told you what not to do.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 08:29 pm
@oralloy,
So what?
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 08:41 pm
@oralloy,
As long as we stop supporting Israel with money and weapons and intel as well. Clearly US interfering with the Israel/Palestine conflict hasn't done a bit of good.
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 08:46 pm
@revelette3,
Why are you eager to abandon our allies?

Did you approve when Mr. Trump abandoned the Kurds?

Do you think we should dissolve NATO and abandon the EU to Putin's aggression?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 08:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was drafted in 1968.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 08:56 pm
@BillW,
Sorry. Glad you made it though.
BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 09:07 pm
@McGentrix,
Really nothing to be sorry about, karma and thanks!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 09:22 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

I was drafted in 1968.

BTW, I think I answered this blog tonight because I watched "We Were Soldiers" Once.....and Young" today. That battalion and brigade were the same as the one I was in - 3rd Brigade, 1/7 CAV Air Mobile (Custard Cavalry) The book is more informative and factual, of course. I learned where so many of our tactics formed just from reading this book.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:17 pm
@BillW,
Were you in Nam during the Tet offensive? Let me back up, I just remembed Tet started in Jan 1968...you may have not yet finished with basic. But stepped up hostilities were ongoing thru late Sept 68. My cousin Jim was in country during that time as well as many neighborhood men who went to local high schools. It was a terrible time, everyone was on pins and needles until the men came back to the US. (historical note: women were not subject to the draft at that time, and they only positions there were allowed to hold in the military was 'Nurse'....These women served bravely and not all of them came home)
glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:24 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Most people are proud of their service to this county. If someone responds "its none of your business". you can take it to the bank they never served.